Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 2:11am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Whats a KICK DOWN »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Whats a KICK DOWN
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Whats a KICK DOWN  (Read 572 times)
dogma

THE IVE NOT GOT A CLUE MONSTER

View Profile Email

Whats a KICK DOWN
« on: Mar 24th, 2007, 11:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all, probably a daft question but what is a kick down, my first guess is its when you floor the pedal and the car takes off like s$#t off a shovel, can anyone answer my brain teasing question lol
many thanks
jim
IP Logged

LIKE MY CAR, WIDE WITH BIG TYRES
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

Re: Whats a KICK DOWN
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25th, 2007, 12:01am »

Push the pedal down lightly as you would normally do to accelerate until you feel it stop (not on the floor)....then push it harder (to the floor) & feel it drop down a gear....& off you goooooooooooo  Grin
IP Logged
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Mar 25th, 2007, 12:24am »

Exactly as johnnycab says - kick the throttle to the floor and it'll shift down a gear (or two) for better acceleration.

Darren
IP Logged
macroy

White 24v Ultima Cosworth Estate

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 25th, 2007, 1:51pm »

This is an example of a kickdown. GrinRoy.

IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 25th, 2007, 6:09pm »

Or it could be the feeling you get when you buy a Scorpio and find out what it'll cost you to get it fixed Kiss Roll Eyes

mmmmm....kickdown and sport mode...

Regards, Bruce Wink
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 25th, 2007, 11:23pm »

It gets more interesting  ( well,   frightening to be honest )    when you kickdown  and the gearbox  takes a few seconds  to  change down,  most interesting when you're overtaking  and a 40 ton pantechnicon is heading towards you at an alarming rate Shocked

Use the gear selector,    that's what it's for  Kiss
IP Logged
dogma

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 29th, 2007, 7:07pm »

Hi guys, yep what a wonderful invention lol, but my god does the engine scream when you use the kick down lol
IP Logged

the_boogeyman

Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 29th, 2007, 9:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

i kicked mine down tonight after having both the cats de-catted, god its fast, i would say a little to fast, went just over the red line in every gear
IP Logged
dogma

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 29th, 2007, 10:23pm »

Tell me about it, i had 3 of my friends in the car and didnt actually mean to do it, after they finihed screaming they all commented in some polite words like "wow that was fast" and "if you do that again i may have to rearange your face (cant put the actual words as ill be banned lol).  But yes its that fast i wondered for a second while mac 3 pinned me to my chair if the car would stay on the road, but in all, its quite a nippy car ha ha  Cool
IP Logged

TRACEYS_LIMO

I'm a YaBB newbie

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Mar 31st, 2007, 4:40pm »

Wink
IP Logged
julie_quaife

'97 2.3 16v ultima estate blue azura

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Apr 3rd, 2007, 4:18pm »

my fav kickdown was in my old peugeot 605 3ltr, it was judged by clarkson as a rocket and god it was! it was a heavy car and i never liked to leave it on a hill just in case! but it was brilliant as being thrown around bends and held the road beautifully. i miss that car so much and actually cried when it went. i had two granada scorpios after that a manual and then an auto due to my disability but neither of them came close to my peugeot and the handling on bends was awful and yes it was properly set up! i finally got a proper scorpio and am very impressed with it, the changes with the front end have definately improved the cornering performance and although mine is only a 2.3ult. it is quite fast and handles pretty well. i would be interested in checking out the performance of  a bigger engined scorpio to compere its handling to my old car, has anyone here ever roadtested the two? needless to say i will cry when the time comes for me to part with my new love Cry
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Apr 3rd, 2007, 4:28pm »

hi there

Agree

for a big lump of a car, with good tyres set to the correct pressure (which i find is +2 psi over the ford figures), it can cover some ground at a high and safe speed.

ford certainly did some good work on the front end compared to the granada.

IP Logged
dogma

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Apr 5th, 2007, 8:51pm »

Hi matey, i drove one of the old 2.3 scorps, on a L reg if i remember and now i have a 2.9 and it does handle better i personally think, throwing it around bends and the car takes them like a walk in the park, breaks are very good too
jim
IP Logged

TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Apr 6th, 2007, 12:41am »

Handling is one of the best things about the Scorp, I've said it before that it's one of the best handling saloons on the market in my humble opinion.

I do miss it now, somtimes I really long to just take it for a spin on the lanes around here...the Jag's great - as good as the Scorp was it couldn't hold a candle to the cat for outright power or accelleration...but it was still a really nimble handling car and felt really well balanced, had a lot of the handling characteristics that the Jag gets famed for and that's comparing it to a car that cost nearly £50k new a year earlier...

Would really like to get another one and open it up on private roads, without fearing the wrath of the law or the autobox Wink

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.