Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 8:28pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Brake Judder »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Brake Judder
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Brake Judder  (Read 644 times)
catalina

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Brake Judder
« on: Apr 6th, 2007, 1:16am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My Cossie has suddenly developed steering judder when braking normally. Not an ABS type problem.

I replaced the front brake discs about 10000 miles back, so was hoping they haven't suddenly become warped (Can that happen? )
There doesn't seem to be any indication that the shock absorbers are a problem since the car drives perfectly on all road surfaces and at all speeds.

Is there anything else I should check on before investing in another pair of discs? The present ones are hardly worn.

My main concern is that the problem developed very quickly and is getting rapidly worse.

John Undecided
IP Logged

Still learning, slowly.
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

Re: Brake Judder
« Reply #1 on: Apr 6th, 2007, 2:15am »

Does the juddering seem worse when breaking at higher speeds than it does around town (hardly notice it) ?

If so, then it does point toward the discs being warped  Smiley
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 6th, 2007, 5:11am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Check all the ball joints, wishbones, bushes, wheel balancing and wheel bearings without delay.

If it's rapidly getting worse, I'd be inclined to suspect something either coming loose, or the impending failure of a component in the steering area rather than your fairly new brake discs.  Also, check your tyres. Most people don't check tyres regularly, and a few psi (bar) missing (or unseen damage) can have very significant effects on steering and braking.

Hopefully it will be something easy, like just loose, but obviously, for safety, you need to find what it is.

Have you got a friendly local garage with a ramp?
Or a cheeky way is to take it to Quickfit (or similar) for one of their FREE Brake checks!!!

Let them get their hands dirty.......... Grin  Grin

Guess what YOU'll be doing over Easter. Good luck with it anyway!  Wink
IP Logged
catalina

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Apr 6th, 2007, 9:53am »

Thanks for the last two responses.

Yes, much worse when braking from high speed. I'll try to set up some sort of rig to test for warping. Ford were good enough to give it a quick check over on a ramp and couldn't see anything wrong on a static inspection.  
Is ther any reason to suspect that a genuine Ford replacement disc is less prone to warping than one from a respectable alternative supplier?
John
IP Logged

Still learning, slowly.
big_neil

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 6th, 2007, 4:40pm »

mine done this when new discs were fitted , no wear in any susp jts . had the discs skimmed on the car cured the prob!
IP Logged
wudz

Accrington who?

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 6th, 2007, 6:05pm »

Hi,
I have the same or similar problem even at high or slow braking speeds. I notice the brake pedal just perceptably come up as the high spots on the disc pushes the pads back and feeds back to the pedal at ver low speed..started about a month or so  ago and has got worse..
I am going to replace discs and pads next weekend..

The give away in  my case is the pedal feedback as mentioned above...

Do you notice any slight back pressure on the brake high spots...only noticable at very very slow speed below 3mls/hr, just creeping freewheel up to a junction slightly downhill ... which rules out suspension etc problems it may help you diagnose the problem..

Cheers
John
 Smiley
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 6th, 2007, 6:41pm »

My new discs  had to be  replaced due to warping after only 8K miles, mind you  they only cost £19.99   the pair  so  it's  my  renowned parsimony   to blame really.

Were they genuine Ford replacement discs ?
IP Logged
cossie_al

Ex 24v

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Apr 6th, 2007, 8:41pm »

I used a set of ebc green stuff pads on standard discs and it warped them within 2000 miles but I also have goodridge flexi hoses.
I got a set of grooved and drilled vented discs and had no bother since.
Beware of some of the ebay stuff some of these guys buy standard discs and machine them.
Not sure if that helps but it is something to consider Undecided
IP Logged
catalina

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Apr 6th, 2007, 11:06pm »

Thanks for all your responses. The discs I fitted were not "original Ford". I got them at a very respectable supplier from whom I have purchased spares, including discs for other Scorpios, for years.

Nonetheless, I intend to check the price of genuine Ford discs before going ahead with my next purchase.

I will report the final outcome but its probably going to take about 10 days before I bite the bullet. \The garden, the wife and the grandchildren don't seem to share my belief that brakes are important. Grin

Cheers,   John
IP Logged

Still learning, slowly.
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Apr 7th, 2007, 3:26am »

The front discs are the same as the MK1/MK2 Mondeo front discs....but FMD will probably try to tell you that they are different & then say they are twice the price  Roll Eyes

Maybe it's the weight of the Scorp that warps them so quick ?  Undecided

Outlets like Formula One, ATS & Kwik Fit will usually supply pattern parts & charge you fives times the cost.......£80 an hour labour  Roll Eyes
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #10 on: Apr 7th, 2007, 8:37am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
the wife and the grandchildren don't seem to share my belief that brakes are important.

No.....Easter eggs are more important....... Shocked  Shocked

Grin  Grin

IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Apr 7th, 2007, 2:33pm »

There is the  very debateable  theory  that the  habit of keeping one's  foot on the brake  to stop the car creeping forward  rather than  disengage  the autobox  ( or use  P )  causes  the vented discs  to warp   through prolonged  contact with the hot pads.

Sounds unlikely,   but  you never know.
IP Logged
cossie_al

Ex 24v

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Apr 7th, 2007, 5:21pm »

When I had the standard discs with ebc pads the discs did have tarnish marks the same pattern as the pad.
Apparently some pads hold the heat longer than others, this was what I blamed the warped discs on.  
So I reckon you could be right mr._floppy
IP Logged
catalina

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Apr 11th, 2007, 10:18pm »

Got around to fitting two new discs yesterday. Found exactly the same as the last two contributors: Tarnish marks the same pattern as the pads. These had developed into a small amount of pitting with the resulting metal embedded in the pads.

Both the discs and pads had done no more than 5000 miles.

I am going to be a bit more careful in holding the car stationary on the brakes in future!
Thanks for all your contributions on this.

John Smiley
IP Logged

Still learning, slowly.
wudz

Accrington who?

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: Apr 12th, 2007, 8:36pm »

Good Un, Mr floppy.
will be changing mine this weekend...will try and stop the stationary footbrake habit Smiley

Cheers
john
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Apr 12th, 2007, 9:42pm »

Which brings us back to that  hoary old  question, a favourite on this board, as old as time itself,  a question that  from  time immemorial....... ( oh, do get on with it, [Ed] ) .......... Angry

Is it better for the life of the autobox  to   keep the transmission in D when stationary in traffic,    or  is it  better to  always  pop  it into   neutral  ?
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.