Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 6:26am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« change engine »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   change engine
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: change engine  (Read 367 times)
scorpiotony

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

change engine
« on: Apr 10th, 2007, 10:02am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I want to change my engine(2.9 v6 12V -89) to a cosworth engine(2.9 v6 24V -95). and put it in my ford scorpio -89. is it possible Huh
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

Re: change engine
« Reply #1 on: Apr 10th, 2007, 11:35am »

hi there

size wise, it'll fit in, but that's the easy bit! ecu is different. wiring is different. autobox is different. etc, etc.

not an easy task. Sad

this isn't something we would have a lot of knowledge on. you could try G&S. someone on there has a 2.0 cosworth in a granada, they might be able to help more.

IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 10th, 2007, 12:05pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I've been round cars and engines for most of my life, and personally I'd buy a Cosworth.

By the time you've forked out for all the 'differences' you'll wish you had never started on it.

Might be great fun as a project......if you've got VERY deep pockets.  

I'm sure that the Cosworth is great fun to drive, but at the end of the day this country has a 70mph speed limit, lots of cameras, and even more legislation planned to catch us. I have the 12v 2.9 and it's seriously fast enough as it is when you need it.

Just my advice.  Smiley
IP Logged
macroy

White 24v Ultima Cosworth Estate

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 10th, 2007, 5:27pm »

A lot more simple solution is to buy a cossie. Wink Roy.
IP Logged
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Apr 12th, 2007, 6:08pm »

Although you can put the 24V engine in your car, it still won't actually be a Cossie scorp unless you add on all the extras such as traction control, better brakes, full electronic control auto box (though your existing one will work), etc.  Even if you want to do all that, because the car will have been modified from standard you'll be punished severely by your insurance co.

I would only consider what you're planning if the car was to be used on private land only - for road use it would be much easier, cheaper and better overall to buy a Cossie - they're coming down in price all the time.

Darren
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 12th, 2007, 6:14pm »

Guys, I think you're missing the point here Wink

He has a 1989 car and wants to put the later gen 24v in...quite a power increase. Not quite the same as simply swapping your 12v bugeye for a 24v bugeye Wink
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 14th, 2007, 7:45am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I understand what you're saying Bruce, but unless cost is no object, I reckon it would be a VERY expensive job to complete. And for what.........Just to have a Cosworth engine?

There's also (as Darren has pointed out),  potentially very very costly vehicle implications/insurance issues to consider.  

For a start, the vehicle would certainly have to be submitted for structural/ roadworthiness testing as it was never originally intended to be used with the Cosworth engine. If it hasn't been type approved for European use, then it would almost certainly have to be submitted for an SVA and crash testing etc etc (just like a newly introduced vehicle has to undergo) which again would hugely add to the costs, and probably make it difficult (and expensive) to insure.

Personally, if it's a bit more more power he's after, then I'd bore out the existing engine which would be the cheapest option. I've had a 2.4i Granada, and currently have the 2.9 12v Ultima, and find the power very impressive as it is. But I accept it's a personal choice as to what people want out of their cars.

I agree totally with Darren. As an off roader/Stock Car etc....great idea. But as a roadgoing car......No way.  Wink

IP Logged
martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Apr 14th, 2007, 11:03am »

I think the BOA engine would be needed not the BOB.
IP Logged

Rally Drivers Do It Sideways
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Apr 15th, 2007, 11:48am »

If you really want Cossie performance then sell your car and buy a 24v - the idea of swapping engines sounds OK on paper but I can almost guarantee it will end in tears, an empty wallet and an ad in the back of Fast Ford or a similar publication in the 'Unfinished Projects' section.  
I know a guy down the West Country who I bought spares from for my XR4i who was putting a V6 24v Cossie engine in another XR4i he owned - he'd spent months on it and was still quite some way off getting it completed - and he had pretty good workshop facilities available to him.  
This kind of swap may have been a possible back in the days before engine management systems - I did enough of this sort of thing myself in the early 80's but I wouldn't even consider it now.
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.