Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 9th, 2024, 12:22am

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Loose connector, PS leaks, clockspring install »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Loose connector, PS leaks, clockspring install
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Loose connector, PS leaks, clockspring install  (Read 463 times)
adowds

Scorpio Rising

View Profile WWW

Loose connector, PS leaks, clockspring install
« on: Apr 29th, 2007, 9:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hey guys,

Was under the car today doing the front discs, and noticed a couple of things. There's a loose, purple two-way female connector with a spring retaining clip hanging loose, just near the alternator. Any idea what this might be?

Also there's a lot of power steering fluid leaking, from above the alternator, and fluid also seems to be dripping from what looks like an inline-filter in the
hydraulic lines just below the alternator. Is this a replaceable filter? Should it be changed? Any ideas where the PS fluid is likely to be leaking from?

Finally, I had the steering wheel off to check the wiring to horn and cruise control, neither of which are working, Wiring was okay, but I inadvertantly opened the clockspring unit, which is marked 'CHECK MANUAL FOR INSTALLATION'. Is there a special procedure for this? I guess you have to make sure the steering will never go beyond the clockspring's maximum travel?

All advice welcome as usual...

Al
IP Logged
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

Re: Loose connector, PS leaks, clockspring install
« Reply #1 on: Apr 29th, 2007, 9:55pm »

Loose plug connector will probably be to the sensor on the Steering fluid pipe that goes to the radiator, Mine was broken so I got a spare and soldered it on, good as new now, it's something to do with an automatic engine speed adjustment when you turn corners.
The fluid may be comming from the pipe that goes from the steering fluid reservior to the rack, may be pourus so will need changing.  Don't know of a fillter in that vacinity maybe someone else will...

hth
Pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
adowds

Scorpio Rising

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: Apr 29th, 2007, 11:42pm »

Hey Pete, thanks for that. The connector for the PS sensor is over the other side though, and it's connected okay. This purple one is towards the rear of the alternator, coming from behind it, I can't really see up to where it comes from, and there's nowhere obvious for it to plug into.

Cheers!

Al
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Apr 30th, 2007, 6:37am »

The clockspring details are HERE.The first thing to check concerning the cruise control is that the cable is connected to the throttle linkage. It is fixed with a small plastic 'banjo' fitting which can easily become detached particularly if you are working around there. The cable comes from the motor which is situated alongside the front offside headlamp. The details are HERE The power steeing manual is HERE. As Pete says there is no 'filter' as far as I am aware. What model do you have ?. The 24v has a different system. Could the connector be an unused one?.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
adowds

Scorpio Rising

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: May 3rd, 2007, 10:21am »

I've checked the filter again, and it looks like something someone's added to the tranny lines going to the cooler. It's an inline magnetic filter, could be a nice mod for longer transmission life...

Cheers for the other stuff everyone, that should make for a productive weekend!

Al
IP Logged
Dave2302

2006 Mercedes S55 AMG, Retired Barefoot Waterskier

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: May 4th, 2007, 5:27pm »

Your car has probably had a replacement transmission in it at some time past.  Conciencious transmission firms fit these little magnetic units as a matter of course, as indeed we used to.

No matter how carefully you flush the oil coolers before fitting a rebuilt transmission, you can never get all the tiny bits of broken auto box out, so these filters catch the last little bits and save you from damaging a new tranny.  Wink

Regards Dave
IP Logged

Dave "The 'ol Bear" ex Footer !
adowds

Scorpio Rising

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: May 4th, 2007, 5:41pm »

I guess it's a permanent thing with no replacement schedule then? Worth taking off and cleaning?  

That would mean draining all the fluid and replacing it? Or should I do this while changing the filters inside the tranny too? Car's done 125k, fluid seems okay on the dipstick...

As to the cruise control, the dash indicator isn't lighting, so I guess it's electrical. Fact the horn isn't working either had me convinced it was a connector inside the wheel, but no.
IP Logged
Dave2302

2006 Mercedes S55 AMG, Retired Barefoot Waterskier

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: May 4th, 2007, 6:38pm »

You can't clean them, just throw it away and fit another, but strictly speaking it should last longer than a transmission...... 90 - 150 k miles  Wink
IP Logged

Dave "The 'ol Bear" ex Footer !
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.