Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 10:28am

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Cable Nipples »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Cable Nipples
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Cable Nipples  (Read 710 times)
Spannerdemon

Email

Cable Nipples
« on: May 16th, 2007, 2:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Just replaced the clutch cable on my wife's Vitara, after she came to a grinding halt last night. £38.00 for a cable!!

The old cable would be easily repairable (as a spare), if only I could find a supplier of Cable Nipples. These are the type that you can either solder or crimp onto the ends of the braided cable itself.

I've tried all sorts of places, but not having much joy, and I'll leave it to you imagination as to what happens when you type it into Google!! Talk about smut!  Angry

Anyone know where I can get any because I've got a few jobs, and other repairable cables, which they would be very useful for.
IP Logged
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

Re: Cable Nipples
« Reply #1 on: May 16th, 2007, 4:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Have you tried motorcycle dealer/suppliers etc

pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #2 on: May 16th, 2007, 5:22pm »

Thanks Pete. I went down to our local Bike dealers as a first thought, but they don't have any either. They used to have them, but their stocks ran out.

These things used to be widely available, and I'm sure somebody must stock them. Or have the cable manufacturers bought them all to stop us repairing them... Shocked  

I ain't giving up!! I'll post when I find a supplier as I'm sure others would use them from time to time.
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: May 16th, 2007, 5:49pm »

Found some scooter ones - probably too small:

http://www.beedspeed.com/

Dave
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Dave2302

2006 Mercedes S55 AMG, Retired Barefoot Waterskier

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: May 16th, 2007, 7:15pm »

Hi,

What I normally do is use a big solderless screw type nipple, do the screw up so tight it snaps the head off then file / die grind the nipple to shape.

Most factors have these in stock. If not AA vans carry 'em.  

Another tip, if the old nipple shape is longitudinal with the cable, get a suitable size electrical connector strip from say B&Q and cut the metal bit out from the plastic and revert to the above procedure.

Have fixed many an obsolete cable this way.  Wink

Regards Dave
IP Logged

Dave "The 'ol Bear" ex Footer !
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #5 on: May 16th, 2007, 10:17pm »

Thanks guys. These are a couple of good ideas, and I will use them. I still can't understand why I'm having such difficulty finding them. Talked to my mate at the garage earlier today and he says yes, you used to be able to buy a mixed multi box of different sizes, and that the box also contained clevis pins, split pins and cable ends to protect against fraying, but that he hasn't seen them around for a while now.

I'll keep searching/asking around, and post if I DO find a supply, but I reckon the Cable strip idea is pretty sound for the time being.

Trouble with cables of all sorts is that sooner or later, you come across one that you really can't get any more, and then you HAVE to repair it. Just want to keep some in my garage for that day.
 Wink
IP Logged
Dave2302

2006 Mercedes S55 AMG, Retired Barefoot Waterskier

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: May 17th, 2007, 11:10am »

Hi Spanners,

Have you tried Wurth as they supply those selection boxes you talk of.................
Can be a tad expensive, but have a lot of stock that others dont.  Failing this, Screwfix may do similair in their catalogue.

Regards Dave

ps Don't enter "Screw" or "Fix" in a google search  ROFL ROFL ROFL
IP Logged

Dave "The 'ol Bear" ex Footer !
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #7 on: May 17th, 2007, 2:38pm »

Thanks Dave. I'll try these, but I think Wurth only do grease nipples. Screwfix though....I'll have a look.

Next time I get a day off I'm going to have a trip down to my local "fittings and fasteners" supplier, who has been brilliant at sourcing such things in the past.

Cheers for this.  Smiley  PS yes, I know what you mean about Google. "Nipples" was highly entertaining (until the wife came in) !!  Grin
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: May 17th, 2007, 8:02pm »

Crimp connectors sometimes come in useful, the bullet ones used to join wires might be good for a tempoary fix.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #9 on: May 18th, 2007, 11:19pm »

Found some! At last.  Demon tweeks have them. They have all sorts that I need. Must be one of the last places on the planet to stock them I think!

HERE

Thanks for your help. I'll be ordering some on Monday.  Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.