Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 2:25pm

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« cleaning my car »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   cleaning my car
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: cleaning my car  (Read 616 times)
fordnut

im Big im Grumpy but im very nice

windlkev
View Profile

cleaning my car
« on: May 22nd, 2007, 2:19pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

when i got my car a few weeks ago everything was in good order apart from the paintwork which apart from a scratch here and there looked ok but just needed a hell of a clean.So i washed it a few times now always in the shade using a wash and wax then driying with a leather then polishing it with Mer but every time the car hits sunlight you can see swirl marks all over the car..Dont matter how much hard graft i put in the marks always seem to be there.All the other cars i have owned were all light colours ie silver- bronze-wihite but this scorpio is the dark Aubergine and is a pain to keep clean at the best of times.
The car looks great when washed apart from these swirl marks...i used differant car wax - polish- even tried turtlewax colour restorer still no good..will original t-cut do the job ?  PLEASE ANY ADVICE is welcome.... Embarassed
IP Logged

i never apologise.I'm sorry but thats the way i am
Grumpyg1t

1994 Scorpio 24v Cosworth

View Profile WWW

Re: cleaning my car
« Reply #1 on: May 22nd, 2007, 3:06pm »

Never use Mer it's rubbish !! so much so it should be spelt with a 'D' on the end.
IP Logged

[
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #2 on: May 22nd, 2007, 3:36pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Perhaps you just need to accept that the car is what....10 years old....and so a few swirl marks are inevitable.

You can spend a lot of money on a respray, and I MEAN a lot of money, probably the thick end of £1500, but I have never found ANY polish that will completely eliminate all the swirl marks. Autoglym stuff is very good, but I would personally not go the T cut route if it looks pretty good now.

I know that some members have recently been using "clay bars".  

You can read the post HERE

I'm unsure of how it deals with swirl marks, so I'm sure you'll get some good advice from those who have used the bars if you ask them about it.

Hope this helps you anyway. Smiley
IP Logged
Daven

I'm a cheeky Boy! (Simmos fan club)

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: May 22nd, 2007, 9:07pm »

Meguiars also do some stuff for swirls I'm sure - have a look at their site!

Dave
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: May 22nd, 2007, 9:53pm »

Hi. I wouldn't touch T-Cut, it's not the best thing to use - could make it worse IMO. This problem was the bane of my like when I had my Scorpio (dark blue), I think if you look at most dark cars in strong sunlight you'll see the dreaded marks. I think what makes it worse is that most polishes and waxes dry as powder and as the paint gets old and matted you have to rub quite hard to get the residue off. My Scorpio was filthy when I bought it and badly scuffed where it had been through car washes I guess, took a lot of elbow grease with good old rubbing compound (the greasy abrasive stuff in the tin) and Autoglym to get it looking good, but in the end it did look nice, if not mint. You could go the extreme and colour sand it but it's an extreme amount of work for just one panel, let alone a whole car.

You wouldn't ever need a respray unless the paint was very, very broken, after all, swirls are only marks in the lacquer. Clay bar sounds like a good idea, I ordered one but never got it so can't say how much it would do. But it's likely to do a better job than T-Cut, removing all the crap and giving the paint a smooth finish for a good polish, polish will take better and look better on clean paintwork. Autoglym is great but again it dries to powder, the best polish I've used is Jofs and this with a clay bar and some elbow grease might make a big difference to your car.

If you get a clay bar on eBay, just don't buy it from hos_direct, you'll see why from the dozens of neutral and negative feedbacks they have Wink.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
RichardMS

More mods coming soon !

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: May 23rd, 2007, 10:11pm »

Claying won't remove swirls, Also just using polish won't either, You need to wax after polishing and only use good quality micro-fibre cloths.
I use Meguirs, Go to thier website, they have some good instructional videos for viewing.
IP Logged

Ultima2300

RIP Blue 2.3 Ultima / White 2.0 8v Executive

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: May 24th, 2007, 8:14pm »

I've been using T-Cut coloured cut & wax on mine and thus far been quite pleased with the results.

White being a b****r to keep shiny, I've discovered. Roll Eyes

Geoff
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.