Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 5:24pm

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Loom Part No...help! »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Loom Part No...help!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Loom Part No...help!  (Read 440 times)
mindofitsown

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Loom Part No...help!
« on: Jun 7th, 2007, 10:35am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Firstly, hello to everyone on this forum, I'm new on here.
I have a Scorpio 2.0L DOHC Ultima Mreg. I love it to bits but it has a mind of its own. A few days ago, just as I was reversing into a space I noticed the engine suddenly became rough and vibrating. I checked for sparks and thats ok. I found that by unplugging each injector connector in turn that No3 cylinder is not firing. Although the loom concerned is in a bad state of cracking, a continuity check between the bulhead connector and the injector proved ok. I removed the injector from the fuel rail and bench tested it and it works. So now I'm stumped and in need of help. I'm convinced the loom could still be at fault and definately wants re-newing anyway but the Ford dealer can't seem to identify the loom part number from its functional description!! Can anyone help with the part number please?
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

Re: Loom Part No...help!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 7th, 2007, 11:05am »

Hi and welcome Smiley. Perhaps when you pulled the plug to test, the loom got moved and made proper contact? This is a common problem, comes up almost weekly - most of our cars (at least the earlier ones like yours) suffer from this issue.

If you can get to the back of the engine where the loom enters under the cover you might find it's cracked badly there, if it shorts with earth or even gets close enough to build up some capacitance it won't fire properly, if at all.

If you have an electronic scope, you can check each coil when the misfire occurs to check that it's getting signal.

The loom was available when I enquired last year, I'm not sure of the part number but it goes under the name of 'fuel cut-off loom' and costs around £130 AFAIK.

Good luck Wink

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
mindofitsown

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jun 7th, 2007, 12:36pm »

Many thanks Bruce. I phoned the dealers back and told them what the loom is called and the guy said he had 14 pages of diagrams for looms but after a while he found one called 'fuel shut off' which he thinks is the right one. He said the part number was 6482295. Does this sound correct anybody? If anyone has the same model scorpio and is willing to look under the ignition cover (or along the loom) for the white paper tag that has a number, I will be eternally grateful. Unfortunately my tag is worn away. The bad news is that he said that virtually all the looms including 6482295 are 'no longer listed'. He checked the 'National Clearance Centre' and they don't a have a file for that number anymore. Is it me or is this a pretty poor show. As I understand it the scorpio was made up to year 2000 and to not have parts available for a car that potentially could be less than 7 years old is unbelievable not to mention they have difficulty identifying the part number!
IP Logged
TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 7th, 2007, 2:02pm »

Hi. Production was ended in mid 1998, yes, some cars sat around for a year or two but as far as manufacturing goes, the youngest Scorpio is now 9 years old Undecided

By the time I did my loom (patched in a home made one), the tag was unreadable, I fear most of them will be by now.

The only info I know of on the site about this is here, not sure if anything on that page might help you, no part number unfortunately.

Maybe someone else can help more Smiley

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
mindofitsown

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jun 7th, 2007, 6:00pm »

Great news!! Somehow through an untraceable thread of contact numbers I got through to a lady called Val in Swindon and although she couldn't help me directly she was able to give me the number for an ex-Ford guy called Clive who now works for "Platford Marlow" (??) on 01628 890909 (thats the sales number and you have to ask for parts dept.). She was right in saying this bloke knows it all because within minutes he got me the part number and even told me it was still available at £97.15 +VAT. All I had to do was order it from any dealer! So, I rang up my local dealer (who for days now could not identify the part, had told me all the looms were no longer available and I would have to get one made by an auto-electrician) I gave them the number and hey presto, not only did their system recognise the part but they actually have 2 in stock!!! So I'm picking it up tomorrow. Trouble is it may not be the cause of the fault I'm currently experiencing but even so the loom wants replacing anyway.
So for anyone who in future needs the same loom the part number is: 1003462
The very useful article you referred me to may benefit from quoting the part number for other users who have the same problem in future.
Again many thanks Bruce for your input.
IP Logged
TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Jun 7th, 2007, 6:30pm »

Aye, nice result Smiley

Yes, you'll need one at some point and it is a pig to make one, even if you're used to that sort of thing and have the tools - chances are if left it will cause headaches eventually. Not a bad price either, don't know where my dealer got the £130 from Roll Eyes

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Jun 8th, 2007, 7:05am »

Hi mindofitsown (like the name, very apt for these cars) ROFL
I have followed this thread with interest and am pleased to see once again a good outcome,  Coolwell done.
I have been toying with a rebuild of a spare loom I have and have been putting it off due to the complexity and time commitment needed. Huh

I think I'll contact my local fmd to ascertain their ability to order me one of these looms, save me the effort of all that soldering. Undecided

hope yours goes well and thanks.
pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
mindofitsown

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jun 8th, 2007, 11:10am »

Hi Pete,

The most complex thing about this saga has been trying to identify the part number in which Ford were not very useful. Anyway, take note of the proper part number namely: 1003462. I believe the same loom was used on the 2.3L.
Good Luck,
"mind of its own'
IP Logged
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Jun 8th, 2007, 1:10pm »

Angry

This is yet another example of the couldn't care less attitude of some parts men, if they can't find the part number without looking they give in and tell you it isn't available Lips Sealed
I confirm that the 2 looms are the same as I have checked between my 2.3 and the old 2lt loom I have.

This will help to avoid any future loom problems... brill

Pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
ricky

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Jun 8th, 2007, 5:58pm »

well done all, bet you cant find a part no for same on my 2.9 12v ricky help im drowning
IP Logged

"Two tonnes of electronic infested metal"...
mindofitsown

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Jun 21st, 2007, 2:21pm »

I finally fitted the new loom plus new plugs (as the gaps were about 2mm+) and new HT leads for nos 1 and 3 cylinders (as these were almost black with heat damage). Started it up and.........same problem still there!!! i.e. one cylinder not firing.
I decided to go back to basics again and confirm what's going on and then I discovered this time No1 cylider is not firing whereas it was No3 before. Then it dawned on me that when I removed the coil packs for bench testing, I had inadvertantly replaced them in alternate locations (which is no problem normally as they are identical). The fault had moved to a different cylinder and was following a duff coil pack around. I got a new coil pack (£55+VAT!!!) from local FMD and hey presto, fault gone and my baby is on the road again!
The interesting part is that I had tested both coil packs with a DC power supply on the bench and sparks were abundant so why was one section of one pack failing when in situ? I had checked the resistance of the windings and it was OK. I can only presume that some internal leakage was occuring which was not bad enough to prevent a spark under ideal bench conditions but still bad enough to inhibit a spark under gas compression conditions. Moral.....bench testing doesn't always prove things unless you simulate the conditions of use which in this case could have been done with an artificially large spark gap to really test the efficiency of the coil.  
The money spent on the loom, plugs and HT leads was I'm sure not wasted because they were in a really bad state and would have failed some time soon in the future probably half way up a motorway in the dead of night and raining to boot.
IP Logged
mindofitsown

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Jun 21st, 2007, 2:23pm »

Message to Ricky,
Try ringing that guy I talked abouit in a previous post called Clive on 01628 890909 (ask for parts dept first).
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.