Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 12:26pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Can you tow a caravan with a Scorpio »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Can you tow a caravan with a Scorpio
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Can you tow a caravan with a Scorpio  (Read 1542 times)
The_Wheelchair_Kid

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

Can you tow a caravan with a Scorpio
« on: Jun 8th, 2007, 1:39pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi to all
   I am disabled and looking to buy a Ford Scorpio 2.9 auto Estate. I had a vauxhall Omega 2.5 auto Estate, but never towed with it, but I want to but a Scorpio and tow a caravan with it, do they tow ok? and what weight or size caravan could I safefly tow with a 2.9 auto Estate? Huh I have got a Ford Explorer 4x4 at the moment and love it, but it is too hard getting in and out of it, due to the size of it Embarassed
     thank you for all of your help
       Jason
      the Wheelchair Kid Wink
IP Logged

It was not me, I did not touch it, i was not there
Spannerdemon

Email

Re: Can you tow a caravan with a Scorpio
« Reply #1 on: Jun 8th, 2007, 2:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi and welcome.  Smiley

Yes. We tow our Lunar 4 berth (21' length) with ours, and have no problems.

The Scorpio's are a little bit spineless on really steep hills, and I still preferred our (old) Volvo (940GLE Turbo) for towing if I'm honest, but generally you won't have much trouble towing with the Scorpio.

I'd personally go for a Manual rather than an auto box.  Manuals are a better bet for towing caravans in my own experience of caravanning for 20+ years.

As far as weight/size caravans, you'd obviously need to be more specific as to the weight etc of the caravan you have in mind or are intending to buy  Wink

Good site for this sort of information is the Practical Caravan website forums.  HERE
IP Logged
podge

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jun 8th, 2007, 7:54pm »

Hi Jason,
I have been towing for 35 years now, had many caravans but no more than 14 ft long, I have towed with  1.5.ltr cortina/a Cortina 2.0E/Granada 2.3/Granada2.8-auto/and for the past 2½ a Scorpio 2.3-auto. like yourself Iam disabled, but the Scorpio is the best tow car I have had, just leave it in drive and let the car do the rest, I have to keep looking behind to see if I have a caravan in tow.
good luck with your caravaning.
Podge.
IP Logged

1997 - 2.3i scorpio ultima saloon. (Old codger with a new toy)
ferretmobile

2.3 saloon S reg & all the toys. mmmm toys

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jun 8th, 2007, 8:28pm »

AgreeThe best towing car I have EVER had!
I too have a 2.3 manual and I have trailers and a twin axel 14ft caravan. And I too have to keep on looking behind to see If my tow is still there. I love it.
ferret Cool
IP Logged
ferretmobile

2.3 saloon S reg & all the toys. mmmm toys

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jun 8th, 2007, 8:34pm »

Just a thought, last summer I did try to reverse the caravan up a steep field in France and I nearly cooked the clutch... the motah diddnt like that at all. I had to do a tricky turnaround jobbie and pull the van onto the field no problems. But the smoke and smell from the clutch was so acrid and I think that I was very lucky to get away with it. But pulling ...no sweat Grin
IP Logged
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Jun 9th, 2007, 1:25am »

I also agree, my 2.3 tows with no problems being a manual, When I towed with the 2ltr auto I noticed a slight failing with the cruise control going uphill on these long drags on the motorways, it would constantly switch down to 3rd and back up again, This was overcome by knocking the o/d off.  On buying my present 2.3 I particularly wanted the manual thinking about the problem above, I didn't take into account the 2.3 engine being more refined and more powerful and I would imagine it would probably handle the gradients easier then the 2ltr.  UndecidedWhat I am saying is that I would have been happier with the 2.3 with the autobox had I given it a bit more thought, or maybe asked advice on this website. Huh

hth
Pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jun 10th, 2007, 8:22pm »

Think I read somewhere that Ford state the 2.5 TD AUTO is unsuitable for towing.
Can anyone confirm that ?
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
catalina

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jun 11th, 2007, 1:39pm »

I have driven thousands of miles in my cossie estate automatic with a caravan in tow.

My usual technique is to leave the box in Sport range and to disengage the overdrive unless cruising downhill.

In difficult terrain I go through the gears manually to keep the revs up and avoid excess slipping through through the gear box.

I am prepared to put up with higher fuel consumption in order to nurse the engine and gearbox.

At 135000 miles its a beautiful car to drive. (Am typing with fingers crossed of course)  

Keep happy Smiley

John

IP Logged

Still learning, slowly.
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jun 11th, 2007, 9:44pm »

The estate has self-levelling rear suspension and is rated by Ford to tow up to 2000Kg - more than enough for most 'legal' caravans!  Also you have the 2.9i engine which has bags of power assuming it is all running correctly.  The only weak spot you may have is the auto box, however I believe all the autos (apart from the diesel) have both a liquid-liquid intercooler in the main radiator, and a liquid-air intercooler below that, so as long as the fluid level is correct and of the right colour I don't forsee any problems (other than hideous mpg - perhaps convert it to LPG?)...

From memory, max noseweight is 70Kg, max tow is 2000Kg and rear tyre pressures need to be increased.

Darren
IP Logged
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jun 11th, 2007, 11:50pm »

I only bought my 2.9 12v auto last October and it has already towed about 700miles. Prior to that I had a Granada 2L manual and prior to that another of the same. Both have towed pretty well effortlessly, the Granada pulling right over top of the Cairgorms last year.  

My Scorp does it just that bit easier, being an auto - though I did have a slightly worrying moment in Wales on arrival there - there was a bit of a smell from the box after stuggling to get up a wet, muddy and slippy field. I'm told this is to be kind of expected and the box doesn't seem to have come to any harm.  

My van is a 15 footer and well within the cars towing capabilities - I don't like towing on upper the edge of the range.  

IP Logged

August '95 2.9 12v auto Ultima -
Now flashing Smiley
LiverpaulH

My bird!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Jun 14th, 2007, 1:35pm »

on Jun 10th, 2007, 8:22pm, Scorpio_Mike wrote:
Think I read somewhere that Ford state the 2.5 TD AUTO is unsuitable for towing.
Can anyone confirm that ?

I've read that as well, and it seems very odd. My diesel manual estates have both towed very well, at levels i wouldn't like mr plod to know about with no issues.

I can't understand if the same autobox is used in the petrols as the diesels why you shouldn't tow with a diesel auto.

Put it this way, I'd tow with one.

Paul

Piccies of towing capability:

2.3ton pipes + trailer, was absolutely excellent, towed Birmingham to Lakenheath.

Towing my old diesel estate:

I can't see anything but the largest caravans causing any problem, esp with estate and its self levelling suspensiobn.

Paul Cool
IP Logged

Still hankering after a new scorpio- Aus BA Falcon, 5 years later and I still love it!
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Jun 15th, 2007, 8:27pm »

I think the problem with the diesel auto is lack of cooling.  The diesel already has a shorter radiator than the petrols to make space for the intercooler next to it - adding the heat from a heavily laden auto box, plus the turbo would probably cause overheating.

Darren

P.S.

Personally I'd tow with a diesel auto too, though I'd definitely look at extra cooling and I'm not sure if it'd be legal anyway if Ford state it as being unsuitable...
IP Logged
The_Wheelchair_Kid

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Jun 22nd, 2007, 1:23pm »

I can not thank you all enough, so I can now get a caravan and move while the mother-in-law is at the shops lol
         Thank you
         Jason
IP Logged

It was not me, I did not touch it, i was not there
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Jun 22nd, 2007, 11:25pm »

I towed a Corsair back from the isle of man last week on an A Frame. Apart from hitting a petrol pump in a garage I think I did OK!!!
IP Logged
Neil W

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Jun 24th, 2007, 5:22pm »

Hey Baz,

"I towed a Corsair back from the isle of man last week on an A Frame...."

Fitted water wings to your car, then?  Grin Grin

Neil W. (Chester)
IP Logged

1998 Scorpio Ultima Cosworth facelift saloon, reg S896VOG. Sold Feb 2010. Now own Mercedes-Benz E320 CDi.
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Jun 24th, 2007, 5:32pm »

yes.......why do you ask?
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.