Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 11:22pm

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« What tyres... »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   What tyres...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: What tyres...  (Read 854 times)
ferretmobile

2.3 saloon S reg & all the toys. mmmm toys

View Profile

What tyres...
« on: Jun 8th, 2007, 3:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi guys, I am having to get a couple of tyres for the rear of my moneypit.
I have gone on to Mytyres and have come up with HANKOOK Ventus Sport 225/50  ZR16. They have a good write up and test results. Has anyone here had experience of these tyres and what did you feel about them?  I can buy them on-line for £54.20 each inc of p&p. The way my scorp eats tyres makes buying the premium brands a non goer because of the high millage that I do.
Cheers guys. Ferret
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

Re: What tyres...
« Reply #1 on: Jun 8th, 2007, 5:29pm »

hi there

i like my kumho ku31's. good for about 18-20k miles.

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m4b238s302p0

hth

btw, haven't used camskill or mytyres. Smiley

IP Logged
ferretmobile

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jun 8th, 2007, 8:22pm »

Thanks Scorpio man, that is very interesting. The Kumho tyres look like the Contisport that I would use given a bigger budget.  
But I see that you also get through tyres like me...18-20thou is about right. Or about 18 months on the road and you are down to the tell-tale. Do you find that the rear ones get eaten first? I must admit that I dont always drive like sister Wendy ROFL and that the joy of these cars is that they CAN move when pressed. Most of my driving if not all is motorway and If pushed I will show the odd truck/chav/halfwit/  a clean pair of heals. So ...sorry to keep on a bit, its impending age.
Kumho tyres, is grip good and do they stop in the wet. Thats it really.
Thanks mate. Ferret Wink
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 8th, 2007, 9:51pm »

on Jun 8th, 2007, 8:22pm, ferretmobile wrote:
Thanks Scorpio man, that is very interesting. The Kumho tyres look like the Contisport that I would use given a bigger budget.  
But I see that you also get through tyres like me...18-20thou is about right. Or about 18 months on the road and you are down to the tell-tale. Do you find that the rear ones get eaten first? I must admit that I dont always drive like sister Wendy ROFL and that the joy of these cars is that they CAN move when pressed. Most of my driving if not all is motorway and If pushed I will show the odd truck/chav/halfwit/  a clean pair of heals. So ...sorry to keep on a bit, its impending age.
Kumho tyres, is grip good and do they stop in the wet. Thats it really.
Thanks mate. Ferret Wink

hi there

i should have said that the 18-20k miles was on my mates s60 volvo 2.4d (very heavy). the ku31's are on the rear of my estate and seen to be wearing very wellv (not sure of the mileage). we have kh11's on my son's megane 1.9dci (upgraded, 140+bhp). i'd say they were better for mileage/mpg, but not as good a grip as the ku31's. both are quiet enough, though.

hth
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 8th, 2007, 10:12pm »

I've been here before but the Korean 'Nexens' I had on the Scorpio were fine, gripped well and were pretty quiet, might be worth looking at if you can't get hold of the ones Andrew's talking about at any time.

After 10k I'd only used just over a mm of tread, I told you I drove like a Nun Embarassed

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
dan_the_man

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jun 16th, 2007, 7:17pm »

Never tried Hankook on a scorpio, They are great on a powrfull VW golf though. quiet, grippy in the dry and matched the uniroyals I used to ride in the wet.  I was nervous about them as Price was not a worry when I renew'd my Golf's boots. A good mate said 'try 'em'. I was very impressed.
IP Logged
ferretmobile

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jun 18th, 2007, 12:29pm »

I fitted the hankook on friday and they are great. I ordered them on tuesday from MYTYRES and they were delivered on friday lunch time. Its been wet on the roads ever since and they are just as good as the contis. Plenty of grip, had to break really hard on the M11 this morning and the tyres coped admirably. At £53 a corner as opposed to the conties at £77 I am a happy bunny. Wink
IP Logged
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jun 26th, 2007, 1:07pm »

Checked tyres today, 1 rear ( TOYO ) in need of replacement. Went to my friendly local garage, been going there for years and was recommended Kleber tyres - they are made by Michelin. Garage owner uses them on his own car so must be OK !
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jun 26th, 2007, 1:36pm »

no, he uses them on his own car because he gets them free........if he's recommending a different make all of a sudden its because he's got a deal with that company. that said, it obviously doesnt mean that they're no good, they might be very good, but take no notice of him using them on his own car......
IP Logged

Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jun 26th, 2007, 1:47pm »

I'm sure he wouldn't use even free tyres on his own car if they were no good. I've known the 2 guys who run the garage for over 20 years now and they have always given me good honest advice and service at very reasonable cost - yes, garages like that do still exist !
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jun 26th, 2007, 10:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Using Enduro Runway on mine. Had a full set fitted a couple of weeks ago on the recommendation of a local tyre depot who sell a lot to cabbies and airport shuttle firms. They rate the mileage and roadholding as second to none.  £158.38 for a FULL SET!!  Grin

HERE

Absolutely rock steady, and they grip the road like limpets in dry and wet weather. This weekend we were coming back across Dartmoor in the most horrendous weather conditions, which was a test and a half for them, and I am very very happy with them.  Wink
IP Logged
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Jun 27th, 2007, 2:03pm »

'I'm sure he wouldn't use even free tyres on his own car if they were no good'

bet he would, they cost him nothing so he wouldnt care if they were a bit on the poor side as long as they werent dangerous.........
IP Logged

cossie_al

Ex 24v

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Jun 27th, 2007, 11:05pm »

Agree with taliban Grin
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.