Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 12:30pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Wipers, Windows, warning lights, air con »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Wipers, Windows, warning lights, air con
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Wipers, Windows, warning lights, air con  (Read 415 times)
Steve_W

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Wipers, Windows, warning lights, air con
« on: Jun 24th, 2007, 9:58pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This is a long post but it may help in the furture.

I was driving my wonderful Ultima 2.3  Grin home when all the warning lights, guages, speedo etc stopped working but the engine kept running. I got it home and switched off. Turned the ignition back on .. nothing ... tried to start and the starter engaged and had a half hearted attempt at almost turning the engine (like a flat battery).

I also found the elec windows, wipers, auto rear view mirror, front and back heated windows and air con would not work but everything else was ok.

I turned the headlights on and they came on ok but the headlight washers also operated at the same time.

I thought earthing problem initially so when to my PC to look at the diagrams in the TIS but an earthing problem  didn't make sense.

Next day went to check what I had missing at the heated screen switch (easiest place to check).  
But it was all working again... so started the car and let it run for a while. After about 15 mins the fault came back on so checked the switch and it was the + missing, so back the the TIS.

Traced the diagrams for the items not working and all the fuses supplying these are fed by Fuse1(80amp) and then the ignition relay contacts (batt side fuse box).

Proved to be the ignition relay had developed a fault that when it got hot (as they do and it was during the heat wave last month) the relay released and when it had cooled down enough (ignition switched off) it would then reoperate until it got too hot again.

So if you have any intermittent probs involving all of the above equipment try the Ignition relay first.
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: Wipers, Windows, warning lights, air con
« Reply #1 on: Jun 25th, 2007, 6:23am »

Thanks Steve. It's always helpful to get information like this. Such experiences are what helps to build up the 'knowledge base' on these cars.  Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

Re: Wipers, Windows, warning lights, air con
« Reply #2 on: Jun 25th, 2007, 11:03am »

Yes,     a nice piece of detective work.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.