Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 3:31am

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Wheel seized on and ABS fault »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Wheel seized on and ABS fault
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Wheel seized on and ABS fault  (Read 557 times)
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

Wheel seized on and ABS fault
« on: Jul 5th, 2007, 9:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Whilst out in all that rain last week (not much different today), the ABS warning light came on. Easy thought I, water had found a way into one of the front ABS sensor connector. Unlikely to be the rear, as they are mounted out of the weather under the rear seat (I understand).

I had the complete front wheels to swap for a spare set I had and check out the state of the front pads, so this evening I had a go at tackling both jobs in one. This is the first time I have had the wheels actually off it.  

I got the O/S one off, pulled the ABS plug apart, cleaned it and added some silicon grease to prevent the water getting in and then put the 'new' wheel on a P6000.

Moved the car over in the garage to get to the N/S and after taking the wheel nuts off, I still could not get the wheel off. Tried a dod of wood with a 20lb sledge hammer - wouldn't budge. Put the nuts back on loose and dropped the jack down fast - still wouldn't move - well stuck on.

Last resort was to leave the nuts half a turn loose and drive it around a deserted trading estate, plenty of high speed stops going forward, backward and fast cornering, then I finally heard a loud clunk as the wheel freed itself. Never knew the ABS worked whilst going backward, but it does  Grin

Back in the garage the N/S one then took half the time of the O/S one, having gained practise on the first one.  

A quick road test out in heavy rain and I nearly had it written off by an immigrant pulling out of a side turn whilst he was looking the wrong way, on a bend too. That is the first time I have triggered the ABS in earnest - good iinit?  

The P6000 on the front feel very different from what was on. I'm getting a slight judder on the steering when turning the wheel at parking speeds, which didn't happen on the 'old' tyres. The judder obviously being the tyre being forced to turn beyond the point it can grip and suddenly loosing its grip.

I seem to remember someone else had a wheel which had 'welded' itself onto the hub, so I thought I would just let you all know how I managed to get mine loose. It will not happen again, I used a smear of copper grease on the hub face.   

IP Logged

August '95 2.9 12v auto Ultima -
Now flashing Smiley
bertie

Email

Re: Wheel seized on and ABS fault
« Reply #1 on: Jul 5th, 2007, 10:23pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Jul 5th, 2007, 9:20pm, harry.m1byt wrote:

The P6000 on the front feel very different from what was on. I'm getting a slight judder on the steering when turning the wheel at parking speeds, which didn't happen on the 'old' tyres. The judder obviously being the tyre being forced to turn beyond the point it can grip and suddenly loosing its grip.

is the judder not from the steering rack since you have had the front jacked up? If so, this will disappear in a couple of days of use.

Simon
IP Logged
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jul 5th, 2007, 10:39pm »

Oh yes, maybe you are right - I had forgotten about that rack judder. I just assumed it was the tyres. I have had the front end up in the air before, can't say I noticed it then.
IP Logged

Now flashing Smiley
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jul 8th, 2007, 1:48pm »

Just to confirm, the judder on the steering has gone completely.
IP Logged

Now flashing Smiley
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.