Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 7:27am

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Rear suspension »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Rear suspension
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Rear suspension  (Read 2545 times)
Wadman

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Rear suspension
« on: Jul 9th, 2007, 5:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My car was given a full inspection by the RAC. In their report they recommend the bushes (triangular-shaped)in the rear suspension be replaced as they have 'collapsed'. One Ford garage want to replace the whole suspension for £400 each side. I am also told the old bushes can be 'pushed out' and new ones inserted. Can anyone tell me the Ford part number of the bushes and of any website which has illustrations of the rear suspension please.
Regards Wadman
IP Logged
bizzay1

1997 Cosworth Saloon

View Profile

Re: Rear suspension
« Reply #1 on: Jul 9th, 2007, 5:37pm »

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/suspensionman.htm

this site has a number of diagrams which may help, can't help with a part number I'm afraid though

hth
IP Logged
Wadman

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jul 9th, 2007, 8:20pm »

Thanks, a big help.
Just to confirm, the bushes I'm looking for are "Rear Suspension Insulator", or am I wrong?
Wadman
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 9th, 2007, 8:43pm »

First two pics on this page give an exploded view of the rear suspension, not sure which bushes you mean

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/suspension.htm
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Wadman

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jul 10th, 2007, 1:23pm »

I am in contact with the RC engineer who carried out the inspection. Like you, I am having problems identifying the item. However, the RAC engineer states the bushes are "rear suspension lower front outer bushes" sometimes called "the A-frame bushes". Are you any wiser, if so, which part number of the schemics on the website are the bushes in question.
Wadman
IP Logged
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 10th, 2007, 3:16pm »

Grin

If you go to a FMD and give them your registration no or vin they should be able to identify the parts fitted to your car and supply part no's, at the same time they can give price and availability.... I think it is item 2 on the rear suspention diagram abive... You don't however have to order the parts...

hth

Pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 10th, 2007, 5:00pm »

In all seriousness I would'nt waste large wads  of cash  on  summat  that might not be  needed.

It's an RAC inspection   ( notoriously  nitpicky and   unrealistic )    not a MOT.

This bush,    if it's failed,   I'm sure will be picked up  by the MOT  tester.
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Jul 10th, 2007, 8:19pm »

Agree I had AA inspections done on two Jags a couple of years back. Not my idea, was done by a relative who did it in good faith. Both were picked to pieces, one being a mint B reg (20 years old so could be excused for not being perfect). The inspections are great so long as you don't read too much into them, most inspectors will have a negative bias as soon as they look at the age of the car. When I bought the Scorpio I went by intuition, ok it had a few things wrong but I didn't do badly, same with the Sport...just looked it and the paperwork over, checked the fluids and gave it a drive. It's an old car, it's not going to be perfect Smiley.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Jul 10th, 2007, 9:52pm »

From your description i'd say you are looking at either bush no.2 or no.6 on the left side of this page

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/images/rearsuspension96on.gif

Not too difficult to swap them over
IP Logged

Wadman

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jul 10th, 2007, 11:19pm »

Appreciate all the help. The main idea in regard to the RAC inspection was to get an independent evaluation on a car that's done less than 34,000 miles. It's very comfortable car for me and the cost of a similar replacement is going to be £15/20K, an amount I cannot afford. Secondly, two garages have quoted £900 and £30 plus labour, on a repair to bushes they are not quite sure on. The first cost was to replace BOTH rear suspensions. I know the reaction is to take the 30 quid one, but are they talking about the right part.
Puzzled!
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Jul 11th, 2007, 1:02am »

Are there any nasty noises coming from the rear when going over bumps or around corners etc...if not then I'd agree with what mr._floppy said....wait for an MOT before you decide to spend the cash, or book it in now for an early MOT & see what they say  Wink

Seeing as it's done less than 34K, then I wouldn't think a rear bush would fail at such a low mileage  Smiley

P.S....34K is a very low mileage for a Scorpio...are you sure it's genuine ?  Smiley
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Jul 11th, 2007, 7:51am »

Yep I'd take it somewhere for an MOT (without mentioning the bushes) you might find it passes Wink
IP Logged

pete from Hull

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Jul 11th, 2007, 8:57am »

I have the problem (well not so much of a problem really) that the back end of my car is very low, I have suspected the rear bushes and spoke to the mot centre about it (pre MOT), he did agree that it appears low but said there was nothing showing concern with regards to the rear suspention, he added that it could be that there has been some strain on the springs and that they could be a little soft.  He has been doing my MOT's for years now and I have every trust in his capability as an examiner.

I tend to agree that if you put it in for mot without saying anything you may be surprised... however like me I wouldn't dismiss a possible cure alltogether for the future.  So long as the car handles ok.

Pete

Just as an afterthought, as I have said before I tow an 18foot caravan with no problems except that it catches on humps etc occasionally.... Undecided
IP Logged

Wadman

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Jul 11th, 2007, 9:30am »

The car passed an MOT AFTER the RAC inspection. It appears the bush is sitting on a 'pan' and whilst the car might occaisionally try to steer from the rear end, unless the bush totally disintergrates, it will pass an MOT. I am trying to deal with the 'repairs' the RAC felt were important, but all in one go, I don't want to go back again for repairs in 6months.
Wadman
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: Jul 11th, 2007, 10:28am »

on Jul 11th, 2007, 9:30am, Wadman wrote:
The car passed an MOT AFTER the RAC inspection

Whats the problem then? Smiley
IP Logged

mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Jul 11th, 2007, 2:34pm »

If the rear tyres are wearing evenly, and  the wheels look OK  looking from the rear  of the car    ( i.e.   no  huge amounts of Negative  camber )   and  there are no  moans, squeals or clunks over rough ground  then  I would  tend  to leave it alone till   more definite signs of a rear end problem become evident

34K miles ! Shocked

Lucky chap,  

are there any lower mileage ones out there ?
IP Logged
Wadman

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Jul 11th, 2007, 10:51pm »

The problem is, the RAC 'highlighted' this before any other 'defect', so I take it seriously. They may be nitpicky but they are not a garage trying to drum up business, so why emphasise it. I think it's time to draw a close on the matter.
Wadman
IP Logged
Wadman

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Feb 13th, 2008, 2:10pm »

With the advent of new technology in headlights, can my lights on my 1998 Ultima be similarly improved. I know the whole headlamp unit is expensive, I've just had to replace a hit-and-run incident, but I wondered about a simple bulb replacement.
Anybody??
Wadman
IP Logged
pete from Hull

View Profile Email

« Reply #18 on: Feb 15th, 2008, 2:27am »

HID conversion?

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Advice;action=di splay;num=1202938745

Pete
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.