Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 2:32pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Noisy wipers? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Noisy wipers?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Noisy wipers?  (Read 306 times)
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

Noisy wipers?
« on: Jul 16th, 2007, 7:24pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

As I seem to be running out of problems needing to be fixed.....

Nearly every car I have owned has suffered from noisy wiper blades and this one is definately no exception. I've tried cleaning the screen with various things and fitting new blades, but always the noise comes back.

Almost without exception the noise only happens in one direction of travel and in that direction of travel the wipe is not as clear as the other direction. So I have done a little research on the problem-

There is a theory that one potential cause of the noise is misalignment of the wiper arm, which causes the blade not to flip over and thus try to dig into the screen.  The blades sharp edge (from what I have read) is supposed to always lag behind the arm being dragged along, rather that leading it. To be able to achieve this the pin upon which the blade pivots at the remote end of the arm, must be perfectly level with the screen.  

My drivers side blade has a history of making the irritating noise, so yesterday I decided to fit a new pair and give the screen a good cleaning with some stuff made for the job - before going out in the heavy rain yesterday. The new blades and cleaning made not the slightest bit of difference. The drivers side still chattered and left a mess behind it on the way down.

So for tonights entertainment - I will see if it can be blamed on the alignment of the arm to the screen and perhaps try to improve it.

[EDIT 1 hour later] Arm alignment looks fine and as near as I can see, the blade is flipping over at the end of each stroke.  
IP Logged

August '95 2.9 12v auto Ultima -
Now flashing Smiley
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.