Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 10:25pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Upgrading HiFi »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Upgrading HiFi
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Upgrading HiFi  (Read 960 times)
SCDCarter

Executive 2.5TD

View Profile

Upgrading HiFi
« on: Oct 10th, 2007, 11:11am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

HI,

I have just purchased a 1995 Scorpio Executive 2.5 TD.  
The car is fitted with a Radio/Cassette player (2006 RDS) which is the standard size unit found on 90% of the worlds vehicles.

I want to swap this with the 6000CD RDS E.O.N from my Mondeo Ghia. This of course is the newish ford HiFi which is about 6 inches in height.

Given the obvious size difference, I am left wondering if the silly little tray beneath the the Radio in the Scorpio can be removed to make way for a more modern sound system.

I do not wish to disassemble the current configuration to find out if this knowledge is available in the forum.

Any advice gratefully accepted.

Steve
IP Logged
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Re: Upgrading HiFi
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10th, 2007, 3:07pm »

yep, the unit you have is called single DIN in size (i have the same in my td), the space in the facia is double DIN, so as long as your later unit is double DIN it will fit.

there are other points to bear in mind though;
the 2006 unit has, i believe, a seperate amp powering it behind the glove box, that would need sorting. the 2006 although not pretty is actually a good unit, especially coupled with the cd changer in the boot, all i changed with mine is the rear speakers, the originals are poxy 20w ones, i just replaced them with same size 5 x 7 300w ones that cost me 20 quid.....
IP Logged

SCDCarter

Executive 2.5TD

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Oct 10th, 2007, 3:29pm »

Thank you for the information.

I will check to see if I have an amplifier behind the glove.

I read, somewhere on this board I believe, that the loudspeaker system fitted to the Scorpio was far better that the supplied HiFi. It was thought by the author of the article I read that owners took out the speakers and refitted cheap and nastys prior to selling their cars.

Is this article referring to the more modern and upmarket 2.9 cosworths or, did the 1995 models also have good speakers.

Is there a great deal of difference between the Petrol car and the Diesel other than the very obvious performance of a Cosworth engine. I.e is everything uprated on the Petrol models to cope with the increased stresses and strains of a high performance car.

Steve
IP Logged
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Oct 10th, 2007, 4:00pm »

i've found that the front speakers are fine, it was just the rears that were lacking, as far as i know the speakers were the same throughout production.
apart from the engine there is no major differences between models except the cosworth being the only high performance model which had bigger discs, speed sensors on the steering rack to help stop oversteer, and i think the suspension may have been the same as the estate model which was self levelling. other members may know of other differences but i dont think there was a lot...
IP Logged

dan_the_man

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Oct 10th, 2007, 8:04pm »

It is worth considering Dynamat or simelar to get an extra 'est' 30-35% from your speekers. it stops annoying pannel rattle also and gives a great BASS sound. Check ebay and DO NOT BUY FROM  divinewebsites Ivanhoe 3FT quality Car Sound noise deadening dynamat. THEY WILL NOT POST IT FOR WEEKS AFTER YOU PAY ! i DID ONE SIDE AT THE FRONT AND LEFT ONE SIDE, i ONLY USED A 9'' SQUARE AND THE DIFFERANCE WAS PHENOMINAL .
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 11th, 2007, 6:52am »

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/2006upgrade.htm

hth
IP Logged
SCDCarter

Executive 2.5TD

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Oct 11th, 2007, 10:13am »

Thanks very much for that.

I was about to go off half thingyed.

A radio interface module ?, I would have been tearing my hair out trying to find why the replacement system did not work.

Steve
IP Logged
RichardMS

More mods coming soon !

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 11th, 2007, 8:24pm »

on Oct 10th, 2007, 3:07pm, taliban aka Cheekyboy2 wrote:
yep, the unit you have is called single DIN in size (i have the same in my td), the space in the facia is double DIN, so as long as your later unit is double DIN it will fit.

The larger Ford radio's are Din + 1/2 not Double Din, (These are + 1" more), You can't fit a Double Din unit in the Scorpio without major modification but the Ford units will fit fine Wink.
Audioleads do a lead to bypass the amp behind the dash.

HTH
IP Logged

octanejunkie

busy burning fossil fuels

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Oct 14th, 2007, 3:05pm »

Better upgrading to an aftermarket headunit, bypassing crappy ford amp. Just picked up a Kenwood face off cd unit fom a boot sale for £22! Works perfectly too!
Once the ford amp was bypassed, the sound quality was fantastic on stock speakers. Plus aftermarket items look prettier. Can't help feeling that fords DIN+1/2 units look a bit "fisher price".
IP Logged

Stop! Step away from that spanner....
RichardMS

More mods coming soon !

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 14th, 2007, 7:08pm »

I agree with you but some prefer the stock Ford range.
IP Logged

Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 16th, 2007, 8:42pm »

Quote:
Can't help feeling that fords DIN+1/2 units look a bit "fisher price".

the old units do but i think the new ones are quite nice

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORD-6000-CD-RADIO-IN-SILVER_W0QQitemZ320169686111 QQihZ011QQcategoryZ21654QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORD-CD-6000-CD-RADIO-PLAYER-STEREO-WITH-CODE_W0QQ itemZ270175393888QQihZ017QQcategoryZ75320QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORD-SONY-MP3-CD-RADIO-MONDEO_W0QQitemZ25017615142 4QQihZ015QQcategoryZ75320QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Oct 17th, 2007, 12:10am »

if richard is correct about the size, non of those will fit matt as they're double din.....
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.