Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 12:27am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Gas Shocks »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Gas Shocks
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Gas Shocks  (Read 456 times)
SCDCarter

Executive 2.5TD

View Profile

Gas Shocks
« on: Oct 10th, 2007, 12:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi,

I have just bought a set of "Gas" Shock absorbers off of eBay. It was stated in the description that they should be fitted by a garage.

Does anyone know why?, they appear to be exactly the same as normal shocks although at three times the price.

I have just bought a Scorpio Executive 2.5 TD which looks as though it has done some serious towing over the past few years. i.e the ball of the tow hitch is just 13 inches off the ground, as opposed to the Mondeo which is 19 inches up.

The coil springs have been fitted with strengtheners (that rubber belt thing that threads between the coil). I have a feeling that the rubber is the only thing holding the back-end up.

I thought I would start with changing the shocks and then progress to the coil springs if required.

Any pointers from those who have done this job would be appreciated.

Steve
IP Logged
martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

Re: Gas Shocks
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10th, 2007, 4:19pm »

Gas shocks are standard on scorp, hydraulic & gas look the same, its the internals that are different, the oil is gas presurised.its the springs that hold the car up not the shox.
IP Logged

Rally Drivers Do It Sideways
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Oct 11th, 2007, 4:28am »

I replaced my rear springs recently because I thought that was reason for the back end being so low & displaying a rear wheel negative camber.

The result was instant....a lift of about one & a half inches  Cool....but once the new springs had settled, it dropped about half an inch...... But is still about an inch higher than it used to be, & obviously with less negative camber.....but still not quite high enough  Roll Eyes

I'm now wondering, as you are, whether putting some new rear shocks in would actually change the ride height even more  Undecided....one more inch & those rear wheels should be nice & vertical  Smiley
IP Logged
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 11th, 2007, 6:39am »

Hi Jc
I replaced my shocks first off thinking on the same lines but it made absolutely no difference to the ride hieght.  I am now in negotiation for a pair of estate springs to follow your train of thought, if they don't have the desired effect then I think I'll be replacing every bush link and rod on the rear end.  
I am now considering that when the car was new these problems wouldn't have existed, the only difference now is the obvious age of the components.  The only wearable components would be the mountings and bushes the steel parts should be as when it was new apart from a bit of rust etc, therefore replace all the rubber bits for new should do the trick.... Huh

Pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.