Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 10:20pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Diff Swap ? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Diff Swap ?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Diff Swap ?  (Read 2157 times)
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

Diff Swap ?
« on: Oct 16th, 2007, 1:03am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all,i,ve been reading with intrest that some cossie owners have swapped there diffs for a 2.0l version & was wondering if the same could be done for a 12v? The reason being is that i,ve rescently driven a couple of cossies & love the acceleration,but am loathed to sell my 12v after all the work i,ve put in to make it a trophy winner.I,ve always loved the cologne engine for it,s simplicity but regarded the gearing as being a bit too tall.Do you think a new diff would be a viable option?Is it likley to make a significant improvement to the acceleration without making it a screamer on the motorway ?(5-700 rpm increase @ 70 is an acceptable trade off in my opinion).Advice/Opinions gratefully recieved.Thanks...Craig Smiley
IP Logged

Lord...Sometimes im not that bright
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

Re: Diff Swap ?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 16th, 2007, 1:24am »

Yep just the same diff on the 12v as the 24v (3.64)  

the 2.0 16v has the 4.27 diff, the 8v has a 4.09, 2.3 has a 3.91 so you have plenty choice Smiley

my 24v has the 4.27 so its turning 7 times instead of 6, revs higher but not unbearable on the motorway, still get 20mpg with it now compared with 25 on the stock diff but a lot quicker off the mark 0-60 around 6 secs compared with the stock 7.9 Wink

The 4.27 diff in the 12v should see it outstrip a stock 24v Wink

On what other car forum can you post a question after midnight and get and answer in 20 mins ?? Wink
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Oct 16th, 2007, 12:25pm »

Thanks Highlander,your a star  Smiley Smiley.Dead right as well,about the speed of response (we must all be insomniacs) Grin Grin,but thats the beauty of a top forum like this.lots of like minded individuals all with the same aim.To keep our scorps alive  Cheesy.One final question though ! Am i correct in assuming i would need the 2.0l VSS to obtain the correct speedo reading? Is it simply an electrical connection or a little more involved? Thanks in advance...Craig Smiley
IP Logged

Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 16th, 2007, 5:50pm »

Yep you need the vss or more exactly the little pinion with the teeth that the vss connects to, the number of teeth are different for different models/engines.
IP Logged

Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Oct 17th, 2007, 12:49am »

Marvelous.Think this will make a nice winter project  WinkExpect a new ad in the wanted section soon  Grin Grin Grin Huge thanks again for the advice.Much appreciated,top chap.....Craig Smiley
IP Logged

Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 17th, 2007, 7:33am »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200162 992015&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=010

They dont come up that often and you may get a bargain Wink
IP Logged

Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Oct 17th, 2007, 2:56pm »

Thanks for the heads up Highlander.My local scrappie has 3 x 16v in at the moment,he,s checking for a 2.0l as we speak.Only trouble is he hasnt a clue what the vss is/looks like & to be honest neither do i  Shocked.Just got to sweet talk mother into letting me use her drive as Solihull council does not allow ANYONE to repair/service vehicles on the driveway if you have a garage. Cry Cry(seriously).My garage is full of mowers /strimmers etc ,besides the car wouldnt fit anyway  Wink
IP Logged

pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 17th, 2007, 3:18pm »

VSS a per diagram here  http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/images/a4lde1.gif

items 58,59 and A02.010

This is the complete vss unit

hth

Just realised you live in Sillyhull I mean Solihull, I just live in ordinary Hull and our council aren't bothered... ROFL
Pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Oct 17th, 2007, 3:34pm »

Aaahhhh yes.Now i see.Thanks for that pete.Had better call him & tell him he needs to look at the box & not in the diff for it then  Grin Grin Grin.I assume this is to give the correct speedo reading but was wondering if this is all it does.(i.e. dosent send any messages to the cruise cont etc).If this is the case can i get away without fitting it & live with a under reading speedoHuh (Thinking ahead in case the vss unit isnt available,you know what scrappies are like  Wink ).As for solihull council  Angry Angry.Changed the anti freeze on the wifes car last month.Accidently spilled about a cup full on the drive.I soaked it up straight away with cat litter & disposed of it at the local recycling centre along with all other waste fluids i had,but a nosey neighbour reported the spill & i was fined £80 enviromental charge  Shocked Angry Angry.Believe me im just dying to catch the bin men dropping litter as they drive off .Revenge is sweet  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 17th, 2007, 4:35pm »

ROFL ROFL ROFL Agree

That's if you can get revenge, for all my happenings this last couple of years I would be chasing revenge into eternity.... I'd probably bang my head when I found it too... Grrrr

Vss sends signal to ecu and possibly controls other functions although I'm not all that sure how it all gels.  You need the cog on the vss to have the correct number of teef as the 2ltr diff, Stewart (Highlander) may know more info on this topic as he has done the conversion and is very knowledgeable (for a person who lives in the wilderness)   ROFL sorry Stewart grin grin grovel grovel.

Anyway I'm sure you'll get it sorted there are plenty of 2ltrs about in scrapyards at the mo, but it would be betterer to get the thing working as it should.... and KEEP supporting your local council....I do Embarassed Embarassed

hth Pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Oct 18th, 2007, 7:59pm »

on Oct 17th, 2007, 3:34pm, Tons_of_fun wrote:
I assume this is to give the correct speedo reading but was wondering if this is all it does.(i.e. dosent send any messages to the cruise cont etc).

The VSS feeds its signal to the speedo, the cruise control and the ECU. All it is, is a regular pulse varying in frequency of the pulse dependant upon the vehicles speed.

So far as the cruise control is concerned it will still work, because all it does is aim to keep the frequency of the pulses regular by adjusting the throttle. One point to note is that the cruise is designed to cut out if the speed falls below a certain level (25mph I think), so this would be different along with the speedo reading.  

Modern motorcycles use a similar thing (a pulse from the VSS). Many are grey imports fitted with a kph speedo. To solve this problem (kph to read mph) and to solve the problem of inaccurate speedos, a small electronic widget was designed to recalibrate the speedo which fits in the VSS pulse wire. It takes in the regular pulses at one frequency and precisely adds or subtracts a percentage from that  frequency - to produce a new output of your choice.

The above is one solution, but perhaps not as cheap as getting the correct VSS from a scrap car.  

IP Logged

August '95 2.9 12v auto Ultima -
Now flashing Smiley
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Oct 18th, 2007, 8:14pm »

Thanks harry,it,s becoming a bit clearer now  Roll Eyes.I dont know !!! Whatever happened to the good old days when all you needed was a big pair of carbs & a 4 branch manifold  Grin Grin Grin
IP Logged

dan_the_man

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Oct 18th, 2007, 9:16pm »

could someone please give me an inication as to how many hours work it is to swap a diff ? for a trained mechanic.
IP Logged
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Oct 18th, 2007, 9:22pm »

If no one offers a better idea, my guess would be a couple of hours tops....

Three drive flanges to disconnect plus the diffs own fixing to the bodywork. It may take a little longer if a tow bar has to be removed and refitted.
IP Logged

August '95 2.9 12v auto Ultima -
Now flashing Smiley
dan_the_man

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Oct 18th, 2007, 9:27pm »

SWEEEEEET !I think I could beon the lookout for a 2.3 diff ! I do have a tow bar but my mechanic is price friendly.
IP Logged
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Oct 19th, 2007, 11:39am »

Yep i would agree with that dan,NO MORE than 2-2 1/2 hours m8.The position im in at the moment with the council being petty,im going to have to use a garage but no one by me wants to take the job on.(Cant make money if I supply the diff).Oh well i,ll get there in the end  Wink Grin Grin
IP Logged

Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #16 on: Oct 19th, 2007, 1:02pm »

on Oct 18th, 2007, 9:27pm, dan_the_man wrote:
SWEEEEEET !I think I could beon the lookout for a 2.3 diff ! I do have a tow bar but my mechanic is price friendly.

The 2.3 diff has a 3.91 ratio,  
The 24v has a 3.64  
The 2.0 16v has the highest ratio of 4.27
The 2.0 8v has a 4.08

So if you are after the highest acceleration go for the 4.27
IP Logged

Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #17 on: Oct 19th, 2007, 1:14pm »

on Oct 18th, 2007, 9:16pm, dan_the_man wrote:
could someone please give me an inication as to how many hours work it is to swap a diff ? for a trained mechanic.

if you dont change the VSS sprocket with the teeth on it the speedo will read higher (about 15% dependant on speed) and everything on the car will work according to that reading eg cruise etc, it will work just the same, you can set it at 70 and it will stay there but you'll really only be doing 60 Wink

There can be a bit more involved depending on the types of diff you are working with.

The early diff has a single mount backplate on it, the later diffs have a double mount.
The backplates are interchangeable so no problem there (apart from getting the Torx bolts out) Wink

You will have to remove the backplate even if both your diffs have the same one fitted to remove the drive pinions (driveshafts)

The 24v has larger (wider) cv joints than the other models and larger bolts BUT the splined drive pinions are the same so the larger 24v driveshafts will fit into the 2.0 diff (and others)

Otherwise as long as you can get the car up on ramps for enough clearance and have the right tools its a doddle Smiley
I dont think theres anything fancy needed tool wise, torx bits to fit the cv joint bolts and diff backplate, 19mm sockets and spanners and lots of WD40!! them diff mounting bolts will take a bit of shifting, especially the long one under the front of the diff Wink
Oh and right angled cirlip pliers to remove the circlip on the inner end of the drive pinions to release them from the diff (although i used a screwdriver and a hammer) Wink

Oh and dont let it fall on your head, its heavy! Wink
IP Logged

dan_the_man

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Oct 19th, 2007, 7:10pm »

Highlander , your a great help and a top man . thank you.  

IP Logged
howiedintheplace

Based near Evesham

View Profile Email

« Reply #19 on: Oct 21st, 2007, 7:24pm »

Yeap this is the cheapest way to get your 24V to move faster & also good for towing too.

Not so good for motorway MPG but o.k round town.
IP Logged

Dave
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.