Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 12:20am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Possible to connect an mp3 player to the CD input? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Possible to connect an mp3 player to the CD input?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Possible to connect an mp3 player to the CD input?  (Read 965 times)
DavidBE

1998 Ghia X 2.9 24V Auto Estate

View Profile

Possible to connect an mp3 player to the CD input?
« on: Oct 29th, 2007, 2:02pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Does anyone know if one can connect the headphone output from a portable mp3 player to the CD sound channel inputs on the 5000RDS radio?

(Well, obviously one can connect them, but would it work as a means of playing the mp3 player through the car sound system? I've got one of those tape-adapter thingies, but the result's not very good.)
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

Re: Possible to connect an mp3 player to the CD in
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29th, 2007, 2:59pm »

I've got a mp3 adaptor that fits the CD changer connector but i've never tried it as I dont have an MP3 player Smiley

It apparently came from a Mondeo so I assume it will work
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

DavidBE

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Oct 29th, 2007, 3:50pm »

Ah. Thanks. I'll just have to figure out how to make one, then. Or does that mean there's a cable with appropraite connectors one can buy from somewhere?
IP Logged
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 29th, 2007, 4:08pm »

I solved this problem by buying a Belkin fm transmitter, you plug your mp3 player into it, it then transmits the output onto the fm frequency band so you just have to tune it into a spare button and Hey Presto! it works a treat....

Belkin unit available from maplins etc about £15 and does for other things too.... try here...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/searhttp://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-T unecast-Adapter-Black-iPod/dp/B000F37GOU/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/202-6232364-7845433?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1193674129&sr=8-2

Pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
DavidBE

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Oct 29th, 2007, 4:49pm »

Thanks for the suggestion, but - especially as I don't have the CD changer and don't particularly want one - I'd rather use the CD input if possible.

Googling, so far I've found one MP3/CD adapter (alongside a bunch of IPod ones) ... but it's £49.95. Bit steep.  Sad
IP Logged
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 29th, 2007, 5:00pm »

You will find that anything commercially available as a direct connection will be expensive, (It need not be Undecided though) I looked at all the possibilities including hashing in with a soldering iron but there is a missmatch problem possible cos the outputs from an mp3 player are different to the input required on the head unit....
The other reason I like the Belkin is that it will also take the output from my PDA Satnav (Although I haven't tried that yet)

the only other alternative is to bite the bullit and pay the money.... unless you find an alternative, Let me know...

hth
Pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 29th, 2007, 6:04pm »

You could always try these  dummy  cassettes  ( a few quid  from Halfords )  that  you pop into the 5000  player  then  plug  into your  MP3 CD  player.

It works a treat  although  the cassette  mechanism is always  whirring away in the background.
IP Logged
DavidBE

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Oct 29th, 2007, 6:07pm »

on Oct 29th, 2007, 6:04pm, mr._floppy wrote:
You could always try these  dummy  cassettes  ( a few quid  from Halfords )  that  you pop into the 5000  player  then  plug  into your  MP3 CD  player.

It works a treat  although  the cassette  mechanism is always  whirring away in the background.

I've got one of those, but don't like it. There's a nasty hum in the background, and quite often I only get one of the stereo channels, having to poke my finger in through the cassette door and poke the cassette around until I get the other channel too. Sad

I may have to save up and pay for the only adapter I've found so far to the CD input. Just son't really feel I should be paying considerably more for the adapter than the mp3 player cost!
IP Logged
RichardMS

More mods coming soon !

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 30th, 2007, 6:22pm »

If you have the "Connects2" box for the Sony multi player connected to the head unit with the RCA inputs on it then all you need is one of THESE and it should work.
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.