Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 12:17am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Any power steering experts here ? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Any power steering experts here ?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Any power steering experts here ?  (Read 518 times)
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

Any power steering experts here ?
« on: Nov 12th, 2007, 10:05am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Some advice needed please  Smiley

My new steering rack has developed a knock, as the last one did  Huh

Having spent yesterday afternoon lying under the car I have found where the knock is coming from.

On hitting the nearside track rod with the palm of my hand I can hear the knock. On grabbing the track rod & yanking it, I can feel slight movement  Huh

Ah.....I'm thinking, "it must be the track rod inner ball joint".  
I removed the gaiter & gave the track rod another tapping with the palm of my hand & gave it a good yanking & the ball joint is fine. The knock is coming from the actual shaft inside the casing Huh

I scooped out all the grease from around the shaft where it exits the rack casing, gave the track rod another yanking & could visually see a slight movement of the shaft. Using the palm of my hand again to hit the track rod I could see it move & hear it knock  Angry

Why would it move & knock like this ?....it can't be normal ?....has it been remanufactured with ill fitting parts ?  Undecided

Any advice please, as my patience is now wearing pretty thin & I'm thinking of contacting trading standards about this problem  Angry

Thanks in advance for any useful advice  Smiley
IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

Re: Any power steering experts here ?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14th, 2007, 2:53am »

Okay, so no power steering experts here then......no problem  Smiley, it's not exactly the kind of thing you look at every day  Grin

If anyone is interested, I've written a detailed report on what is at fault with this steering rack & it will accompany the rack back to the re-manufacturer (AC Delco)....

.....I can feel a compensation case coming on here  Grin
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Nov 14th, 2007, 7:51am »

Go JC Go!!. Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Nov 14th, 2007, 10:58am »

soory for late reply, there will allways be some movement between the rack & the housing, its down to weather its excessive, I would say that if it knocking its excessive, most racks do not have any bushed / bearings in the housings, just the bore in the housing machined to size to accept the rack. the rack is the toothed bar inside the housing, its turned by the pinion, the bit thats is fastned to the steering column. the laymand term ' steering rack' refers to the whole assy. hope that helps a bit.
IP Logged

Rally Drivers Do It Sideways
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Nov 15th, 2007, 3:37am »

Thanks Martin......maybe the slight play observed in the rack where it exits the housing is normal....but a clonk, followed by loss of power assistance, & locking up of the steering when at full left, is in my consideration, down to a bad rack......especially after it's still doing it with the P/S pump replaced  Smiley
IP Logged
martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Nov 15th, 2007, 8:49am »

a 'clonk' seems to be excessive, does the steering lock without assistance (pump not running), not easy to try, would'nt recomend without the water pump running, quite basicaly the assistance comes from the fluid pressure provided by the pump, switched left / right bu a floating shuttle valve on the pinion switching the fluid pressure either side of a piston (the rack), an interesting point is that at one time you had to 'shim' the pinions depth of mesh with the rack, majority of wear is central on the rack, so if set up with minimal back lash in centre positio may lock up at the ends where there is no wear, any way a true s/ex rack should have no problems, sometimes 'you get what you pay for' springs to mind, best go for reputal name rather than 'cheepest'.BTW wear in the end of a rack housing is quite a common 'fail' on a Mercedes Sprinter, but very rare on other makes, we do approx 300 MOT's a month.
IP Logged

Rally Drivers Do It Sideways
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Nov 17th, 2007, 12:41am »

Mike (Simmo)....it's funny that you should suggest talking to AMK in your pm....

....Went back to my motor factors with the report on the steering rack & they agreed that there must be something wrong with these AC Delco XL racks as regards to the Scorpio.

They ordered me a AMK rack (more expensive) at no extra charge. I fitted it a couple of days ago & the difference in handling was instant, & that was before I had the tracking done.

Tracking done & it's feels absolutely perfect  Grin

As Martin says....maybe you really do get what you pay for  Wink
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Nov 17th, 2007, 12:46pm »

Glad to hear that JC...good luck with this one  Grin Mike.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.