Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 12:22am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« A favour »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   A favour
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: A favour  (Read 944 times)
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

A favour
« on: Nov 18th, 2007, 1:24am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

i was wondering if there is anyone in the birmingham area ,who is capable of reading fault codes on a 12v scorpio.Mot is but a few weeks away & abs light has now put in an apperance so would like to find out why & any other faults that mat be lurking  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes.i would be happy to contribute to his/her christmas booze fund  Wink Thanks.....Craig Smiley
IP Logged

Lord...Sometimes im not that bright
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

Re: A favour
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18th, 2007, 3:47am »

Is it just the ABS light that comes on, or does the TC light come on as well ?

I find that giving the rear wheel sensors & the end of the driveshafts a good clean does the world of good  Wink
IP Logged
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Nov 18th, 2007, 3:16pm »

Dont have t/c on mine unfortunatly.the abs light came on after a heavy downpour last week.i took it to a local garage who said the abs computer ? ? threw up hundreds of codes Undecided & would need replacing at the cost of £700 !!! .But he did offer me £200 scrap for the car.....Cheeky t**t.i think either the pump or modulator could be at fault as i had to brake hard this morning & managed to lock all 4 wheels up  SadSo a proper scan may be the way forward.I,ve got a feeling this could get expensive  Cry Cry
IP Logged

scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 18th, 2007, 3:20pm »

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/abscontrollerrepair.htm

it's that or a cleaning of the sensors most of the time.

hth
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Nov 18th, 2007, 8:09pm »

As it happened after heavy rain, try cleaning the connectors in the wheel arch for the front sensors as they're exposed to road spray.
Read through this:
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/abssystem.htm
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
octanejunkie

busy burning fossil fuels

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Nov 22nd, 2007, 10:51am »

Are the braking systems on Scorpios the same as previous Granadas?
IP Logged

Stop! Step away from that spanner....
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Nov 22nd, 2007, 8:43pm »

on Nov 18th, 2007, 8:09pm, Tompion wrote:
As it happened after heavy rain, try cleaning the connectors in the wheel arch for the front sensors as they're exposed to road spray.
Read through this:
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/abssystem.htm

That would be my first suggestion too.

When does the ABS light come on?

Does it come on with the ignition and not go out, or does it go out then come back on when you first exceed around 15mph?
IP Logged

August '95 2.9 12v auto Ultima -
Now flashing Smiley
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Nov 22nd, 2007, 9:52pm »

Thanks for the advice chaps.As soon as i have 5 mins to myself i will have a nose around.Harry,the light comes on with ignition then goes out when engine running,only to re appear above 15 mph.ABS is definatley not working as i can lock all 4 wheels up if i have to break suddenly.Other than that the brakes are tip top.Just a thought though,providing the mot tester dosent take the car above 15 mph & the light dosent come on,would there be any reason it would still fail the mot on the abs? ? .With xmas round the corner i could do without any costly repairs should they arrise (lets face it ,they probably will) thanks again,tarar for now...Craig
IP Logged

harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Nov 22nd, 2007, 10:30pm »

That basically means the ABS is sucessfully passing the static diagnostics - ABS controller is working and the wheel sensors appear to the ABS contoller to be correctly connected.  

It then fails the rolling diagnostics which take place continuously above 15mph - as it sees a problem it disables the ABS....

That could mean (most likely first)-

1. Damp in the two pin connectors fixed onto the inner wing, which is hidden behind each front tyre. Unplug them dry them out carefully and smear a bit of silicon grease around the seal before reconnecting. Odds on this is the cause  Cheesy

2. There is a toothed cog in each hub, which revolves past the sensor. Check each one is reasonably clean and free of debris, particularly any metal particals.

3. Unplug each sensor and check the resistance between the pins of the sensor. They should all four be the same and about 1,000 Ohms (I seem to remember). It is just the resistance of a simple coil of wire you are measuring - in the sensor head. Connectors for the two rear ones are hidden under the rear seat, in the dry.

4. Someone reported that the toothed wheels can crack. A crack in the wheel would cause the problem.  

Basically - Every time one of those teeth goes past the sensor head, it generates a pulse of current. The pulses coming in on each wheel are compared and if one is at a lower speed than the others, that wheel must be skidding - so it reduces the braking effort to that wheel. Crude but effective.  

The ABS's built in diagnotics system can report which corner of the car is indicating a problem, but I don't think any member of the group has a diagnotic unit for the 12v type ABS.

Rather oddly, it will pass the MOT in its present condition..

The tester only checks that the ABS light comes on, then goes out. Faulty or not it will then come back on once they carry out a brake test on the rolling road, as only one set of wheels move at a time and they never actually drive the car around garage at greater than 15mph.  

IP Logged

August '95 2.9 12v auto Ultima -
Now flashing Smiley
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.