Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 2:34am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Climate control heating fault »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Climate control heating fault
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Climate control heating fault  (Read 783 times)
Malcolm73

View Profile

Climate control heating fault
« on: Nov 20th, 2007, 3:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The car is a 24v Ultima.

The heater has become inefficient with the following symptoms.

On auto' with passenger and driver buttons set to say 22 centigrade the emerging air is only warm.  Setting the controls to say 28 centigrade causes the fan speed to increase but the emerging air becomes much cooler.

Within the engine bay the upper water hose is warm and the lower, presumably the flow hose is very hot.

The indications seem to be that the water flow is impeded.  Suggestions on further checks and cures would be appreciated.

Regards 73's Malcolm
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: Climate control heating fault
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20th, 2007, 3:18pm »

Go to THIS page and having read it select the links on the left for Climate control reset and, further down,Test the HBC.(Heater blower control). Try the reset first as this often cures problems. Has the pollen filter been changed?? This can significantly affect the efficiency of the system. Details are HERE
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Malcolm73

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Nov 21st, 2007, 12:46pm »

Hi Simmo,

Thank you for responding to my post concerning loss of hot air from my climate control.

My car (E5MGS) is well maintained and the pollen filters are serviceable.  I have plenty of air from the vents but it is not very hot.

I have already read your suggested articles concerning interrogation and resetting which I have not yet tried because I do not think this would cure my problem, or would it

Many years ago I was given by a Ford technician  part of a publication "Scorpio 95 V6 Cosworth Engine - Service Training"   It details design considerations, construction, and changes to the BOB engine and includes a diagram of coolant circulation.   Hot water from the engine can go three ways, towards the three way engine thermostat, the engine radiator, and dirtectly towards the climate control heater matrix after which that water goes to the engine oil cooler and back to the pump.  There are no restrictions on this circuit and the teperature of the coolant water is not directly influeneced by the three way engine thermostat or any other valve.  The climate control radiator has first call on hot water directly from the engine.

Back to my original post.  At the bulkhead are the flow/ return pipes to the climate control radiator, one is very hot, the other is warm and the fan only blows warm air, not hot.  Something must be slowing the water circulation and possibly als starving the oil cooler of water.

My guess is that it must be the climate control heater matrix.  Has anyone had any long term success in curing this sort of problem?

Believing that I need a new matrix ( Not a sierra version) does anyone know any first class man in the Dudley, Bromsgrove area capable of removing the dashboad and doing a good job.  Normally I would tackle this myself  but arthritis and age indicate I am no longer fit for purpose on this one.

Regards  73's Malcolm  

IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Nov 21st, 2007, 2:02pm »

Malcolm I did not mention the dreaded 'Matrix' in my earlier post and I do suggest you carry out the re-set procedure, which is simple and quick, before doing anything else. The next step would be to 'backflush' the matrix as this sometimes will cure such problems and has to be worth a go in view of the problems and cost associated with replacing the matrix itself. You are right in that the 24v has a totally different thermostat to all other cars which is a three port unit somewhat similar to a plumbing 'T' piece. The other possibility is an air lock in the system....do you have any other signs or has the car,for example, had any work done recently in which the cooling system was drained?.  Huh Mike.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Nov 21st, 2007, 10:27pm »

Hot going in, cold coming out would seem to suggest the heater matrix being obstructed. Not enough hot water able to flow through it, means that all the heat will be quickly drawn out of what water does manage to get through it and the output pipe will be cool. The more air flow through the matrix, the cooler the air flow and the output pipe becomes.

Attach a garden hose to the matrix output pipe (the presently cold one) and back flush, then move the hose to the input and flush the opposite way - keep on changing the direction of flow until no more crud comes out and it may provide a fix. Reattach the pipes, refill the system, then make sure you get all the air locks out. Don't forget the anti-freeze BTW.
IP Logged

August '95 2.9 12v auto Ultima -
Now flashing Smiley
Malcolm73

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Nov 30th, 2007, 8:50pm »

Hello Simmo (Mike) and Harry.

To no avail I tried a couple of resets.  I drained the system and flushed it with plenty of water.  I drained off 50% and put in  two bottles of Forte radiator flush, filled up with water and as per instructions ran the engine for 20 minutes.  The system was drained once more and filled with water.  There may have been some improvement as the air was just a bit warmer.

I had now obtained a quote of £111 from Trevor Porter for a new heater matrix but before buying I disconnected the short Z hose between the engine and the matrix.  A piece of 22mm copper pipe enlarged to 24 mm with tape made a tight fit in the Z hose and the matrix was flushed in one direction only for a few minutes via the garden hose.

The system is now refilled with rain water and a pint of antifreeze and I am pleased to say that I now have very hot air.

I will give it a few days. and after draining, it will be refilled with a 50/50 rain water antifreeze mixture.

Thank you both for your comments.      Regards 73's  Malcolm
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Nov 30th, 2007, 10:15pm »

Good for you Malcolm. Lets hope it effects a long term cure. Wink Mike.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.