Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 12:13am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Check for winter! »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Check for winter!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Check for winter!  (Read 448 times)
octanejunkie

busy burning fossil fuels

View Profile

Check for winter!
« on: Nov 22nd, 2007, 10:18am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've been breaking a few cars recently, and a recurring problem with most of them is ROT! Even in newer vehicles.
Some of you may already know the weak spots on your cars, but i thought i would post to advise anyway.
Inner rear arches rot terribly, where the spring seats onto the body.
Take off the rear wheel and have a prod round all of the exposed metal. You can take off the plastic arch protector for a better look. My Scorpio is beginning to rot here, but i've caught it early enough to prevent big welding issues. If you've taken the arch protector off have a good jab around the back of the sill, and around the jacking point (especially if your rear arch lips are crumbly).
The worst problem i've found which is difficult to check, and may well be missed at MOT time is the rear seatbelt mounting points. Several cars i've had recently (some with long MOT's too) have rotted right through round the bolts, meaning rear passengers could be in mortal danger in the event of an accident. This problem seems to be worse (though not isolated to) on estate cars for some reason.
Seeing as your checking  Roll Eyes have a good look at your sills along their whole length. Get your wire brush out and clean off the inevitably flakey stuff and give it a good spalsh with rust eater and a decent under seal. Rust here seams to start at the drain holes and goes all the way along the seam. Catch it now before another years worth of salt gets in there and holes it.

If you need any pictures of examples of some of this rot pm me and i'll send you out some pics.
IP Logged

Stop! Step away from that spanner....
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: Check for winter!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22nd, 2007, 11:12am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Have a look at THIS page which details some of the areas. No doubt any further areas,with pictures, would be a help.  Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.