Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 4:27am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« fan ? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   fan ?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: fan ?  (Read 563 times)
dan_the_man

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

fan ?
« on: Dec 14th, 2007, 12:16am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

howdy folks, I have recantly had my temperature guage up to the bottom of the red. well a couple of mm short.
   I was amazed when it caught my eye that the fan never kicked in . is this usual ?  
   my mechanic said this is normal . . . in previous vehicle's I've owned I seem to remember it kicking in at about 3/4 the way up the guage.
   I checked and have plenty of coolant in .

on another request for info . I've just had a new heater Matrix and thermostat fitted . the heater aint all I wished it may have been. and doesnt even walm ones thingyles till the temp guage is half way up !
IP Logged
dan_the_man

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Re: fan ?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14th, 2007, 12:57am »

just re looked up The 'Johnnycab' method . this should hopefully sort out some of my concerns.
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Dec 14th, 2007, 4:06am »

Hi Dan......after having a new heater matrix & t-stat fitted, then it should be hot as hell & the temp guage should be sitting nicely in the middle.

The heater should start chucking out warmth in less than a mile (mine does), as the rapidly heated water flowing around the engine flows through the matrix also, & the engine temp guage should be normal temp (middle) after about 2-3 miles, & should stay in the middle without going up & down  Smiley

I hope the "long tube in the small bore upper coolant pipe" method works & it's just a bit of air  Wink.... Grin

But if the two problems are related...heater not hot, but temp guage hot, then it may be a water pump fault or a restriction/blockage in the system  Undecided

P.S....how much did you pay for the matrix to be replaced ?...it couldn'd have been cheap, 'cos it a hell of a job....... Did they replace the matrix or simply unblock it ?  Smiley
IP Logged
dan_the_man

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Dec 14th, 2007, 6:18pm »

cheers Jc. He back flushed it. said it was great when he tried it. he has lent me a Vectra td till it's sorted good and propper.

I got it done on the cheap , not sure how much yet.  
IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Dec 15th, 2007, 2:19am »

I found that backflushing did work, but only temporarily & it would always go cold again. Once those matrix veins get really clogged up, then they can never be cleared long term  Sad

I tried all this a couple of years ago & eventually gave up & replaced the matrix as it was the middle of winter & the -2 temp on the dash wasn't just applying to the outside temp  Shocked

It took a couple of days & my fingers were nearly frost bitten, but it was worth it, believe me  Wink
The new matrix produced so much heat you could've roasted chestnuts in front of the vents & it's still just as hot two years later  Smiley

Good luck Dan  Smiley
IP Logged
dan_the_man

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Dec 15th, 2007, 4:37pm »

cheers again Jc, my mate said I can take the vectra td 51 plate . for less than 1500 quid. 110 000 miles. it drives Mint. only 99bhp so it will need chipping. you may see my scorp in the for sale section soon !  

I got some thinking to do. Roll Eyes
IP Logged
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Dec 16th, 2007, 2:46am »

Im sure i read somewhere ? about an additive you put in the coolant system & run for 15 mins prior to flushing ,& is said to clean the entire system !.Anyone else heard of it ? ? ?
IP Logged

Lord...Sometimes im not that bright
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Dec 16th, 2007, 1:33pm »

There are a few cooling system flushes on the market, Wynns, holts etc. But they don't seem to be strong enough to un-block those very thin matrix veins once they get well & truely blocked  Smiley

Phosporic acid, poured into the matrix neat may have better results...... But where you'd get this from, I don't know.........You get it in Coke though, so you could try pouring a can of that in the matrix & let it sit overnight  Undecided....... Grin
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.