Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 4:21am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Re-newing PAS Rack »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Re-newing PAS Rack
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Re-newing PAS Rack  (Read 723 times)
mindofitsown

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Re-newing PAS Rack
« on: Dec 31st, 2007, 4:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

2.0L DOHC Ultima. Anyone know what I should have to pay for a pattern rack?
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

Re: Re-newing PAS Rack
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31st, 2007, 5:29pm »

Try here, I've never found anyone cheaper

http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/steering-rack-display.php?txtmodel=Scorpio&a mp;txtmake=Ford&Submit=Next
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

mindofitsown

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jan 3rd, 2008, 5:21pm »

Many thanks Highlander but unfortunately I committed myself to buying one (exchange unit) for £137+VAT from a local motor factor before I read your reply. I fitted it today and must say its far more difficult than the technical instructions from Ford Europe would make you think. Crickey what a job it was. The instructions state to undo the upper clamp from the steering column (leaving the Universal joint attached to the rack) and then remove the rack. I would say that's impossible. I could only just get the rack out with the U/J removed let alone left on! I would suggest to anyone attempting it to remove the anti-roll bar first. What were your experiences on this matter?
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jan 5th, 2008, 1:44pm »

I've never had any trouble removing the rack with the U/J still attached & have never needed to remove the anti-roll bar  Smiley

In fact, I found it to be a surprisingly simple job  Wink

Did you use the instuctions on this site ?  Smiley
IP Logged
mindofitsown

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jan 6th, 2008, 6:54pm »

Hi jonnycab, I must say I'm staggered. I found it extremely difficult to manouvre the rack out even with the u/j detatched. I assume you withdrew yours like me from the driver's side (other way is out of the question I think). I found the rack body kept jamming up against something and only after about an hour of jiggling about did I get it out. I did follow the procedure but after removing the fixed pipes all it says is remove the rack. It doesn't say how etc. I probably did something wrong but nevertheless nothing is damaged and the new rack works fine (except it feels a bit 'notchy' when steering).
IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jan 6th, 2008, 7:29pm »

Are we talking about the same thing ?  Undecided

Not sure what you mean by withdrawing it from the drivers side  Undecided.....but once the U/J is removed from the column, the two pump pipes are removed from the pinion housing, the track rod ends are knocked out & the two steering rack bolts are removed from the crossmember, the rack will almost literally drop to the floor  Smiley
IP Logged
mindofitsown

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jan 6th, 2008, 9:06pm »

Hi, that's interesting. Shocked Yeah we are talking about the same thing but I suspect there may be differences between models because having done all that you stated in your last post it is not possible for the rack to drop down to the floor because the crossmember itself is in the way. On mine (1995 2.0L) the rack only drops about 1 cm then it crashes into a welded frontal extension of the cross-member that is about 6 inches wide and protrudes from the centre front. This makes it impossible to drop to the floor with or without the u/j attached. I was forced to withdraw the rack from one side hence the problem of u/j assembly not allowing the rack to clear obstructions and having to be removed.
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jan 7th, 2008, 7:52am »

That is exactly the set up on my 2.0ltr. The welded frontal extension prevents the rack from dropping and I had to remove the anti roll bar to allow it to come forward. I can't see what purpose the 'extension' serves other than to make life awkward !!!!.  Huh.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
mindofitsown

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jan 7th, 2008, 7:57am »

Thank god 'Simmo', I thought I was going mad! Totally agree that the extension piece serves no purpose. Could it be that this crossmember was used on the Granada in which the extension piece had a purpose I wonder?
IP Logged
Daven

I'm a cheeky Boy! (Simmos fan club)

View Profile WWW

« Reply #9 on: Jan 7th, 2008, 8:01am »

I had the same problem doing mine - found that if you jack the engine up a bit you get a bit more room - I didn't have to remove the anti-roll bar but it was like one of those chinese puzzles.

Dave
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Jan 7th, 2008, 8:03am »

That thought had crossed my mind so perhaps one of our more knowledgeable members may have the answer. Wink. Glad to have put your mind at rest !!!.  Grin
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 7th, 2008, 9:33am »

Dont know what that extension part is for, i've only seen it once  on a 2.0 16v manual estate (which i was removing the rack from)  Undecided

The one on mine had a rubber bit on it, almost like a brake pedal
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Jan 7th, 2008, 10:05am »

Well, that is very interesting.....sorry mindofitsown, now I can see why you had problems getting the rack out  Smiley

I also can't see why the early models had this extra bit on the crossmember....must be a throw back to the granada & they changed it later  Wink

Maybe, because the rack is mounted at the front of the crossmember (& exposed) then it serves to protect the rack from objects hitting it & damaging it. But because an engine tray is now fitted, then Ford no longer considered it necessary to have this extra bit on the crossmember.......just a theory  Undecided.... Wink
IP Logged
mindofitsown

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Jan 7th, 2008, 2:45pm »

It looks as if assembling rack to the chassis would have been problematic in the factory (let alone FMD repair jobs) even if the anti-roll bar were put on afterwards so my guess is that it was changed to make production etc more efficient. As to the function of the extension, I think protection sounds like the best theory so far though I suspect its one of those things in the car's history we will never find out for sure and part of the charm of owning one......Ok, I went too far just then. Roll Eyes
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.