Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Aug 24th, 2024, 6:18pm

Balance: £22.50
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Brakes »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: scorpio_man, Baz, Highlander, Simmo, admin)
   Brakes
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Brakes  (Read 814 times)
Scorpio

View Profile

Brakes
« on: Jan 3rd, 2008, 10:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am going to change the front disc and pads on my 98 2.3. I would like to upgrade them from standard. Does anyone know if the cosworth disc and calipers are a straight swap onto a 2.3 as i believe the cosworth had superior brakes.
IP Logged

Scorpio

View Profile

Re: Brakes
« Reply #1 on: Jan 4th, 2008, 4:45pm »

I've done some research and the 2.3 has 260mm front disc fitted as standard and the cosworth has 278mm. If the cosworth calipers will bolt onto my 2.3  then i will upgrade to the larger disc. If not has anyone fitted grooved and drilled disc and seen any improvement in braking. Thanks
IP Logged

martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jan 4th, 2008, 5:08pm »

streight swap, will need the caliper bkts also.
IP Logged

Rally Drivers Do It Sideways
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 4th, 2008, 5:15pm »

hi there

not much point in changing to the bigger discs unless you're using the brakes a lot. Wink

i'm using this at the moment. big improvement on standard. they take a split second to start working, though. gives you a bit of a fright until you're used to it, if you know what i mean.

this is where i got them.  ebay

IP Logged
Scorpio

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jan 4th, 2008, 6:13pm »

Thanks guys for the great info. Hi, Scorpioman your disc look great. It leaves me with a dilemma now. To go for the bigger cosworth disc as martin has said they are a straight swap or the grooved and drilled. I am heavy on the brakes and even more so with an auto box. I think i will go for the bigger disc though and see if i can get a pair of them drilled and grooved. I will email the seller on ebay and ask for a price for the 278mm. When i get around to doing them i will post some pics and let you know what i think of any improvement. Thanks once again guys.
IP Logged

granorpio

1998 Silver Facelift Cosworth

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jan 4th, 2008, 6:39pm »

Well my Cosworth has Cougar callipers and pads on the front. Factory fitted as well.  Microcat has no listing of them being used when looking under Scorpio but does list them as an option on the Cougar EPC.  Huh  Typical EPC error. Presumably mine being a facelift was subject to having thrown on it what ever was left in the bin as production came near to an end.  Lips Sealed
IP Logged

- Mike -

So nearly said "goodbye" but now Scorpio will see another day, alongside the replacement! eek!
REDRDLC

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 4th, 2008, 7:03pm »

I PUT SOME OF THOSE DRILLED AND SLOTTED DISCS ALL ROUND ON MY 2.0L SCORPIO WHEN I HAD IT AND IT WAS ONLY 7-8000 MILES LATER THAT THEY WERE LOOKING AND FEELING A BIT POOR WITHOUT TOO MUCH HEAVY BRAKING.GOT SOME STANDARD DISCS FOR MY COSSIE AS THEY ARE CHEAPER AND IN MY OPINION BETTER(BUT DON'T LOOK AS GOOD!).MUST GET THEM ON IT AS MY WORN DISCS AND PADS ARE SQUEALING A BIT.
IP Logged
Scorpio

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jan 4th, 2008, 7:51pm »

I bet that was a head scratcher Mike when you came to replace the pads. I've had a reply for front 278 x 24 and rear cosworth disc 273 x 20 drilled and grooved £139.99  REDRDLC did you get your disc off ebay from the seller in Scorpiomans link.  I might stick with standard cosworth ones then if that is the case. Scorpioman, how many miles have you done on the drilled and grooved disc? Thanks
IP Logged

scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 5th, 2008, 8:56am »

hi there

i've had mine since aug 06 without any issue. Smiley

hth
IP Logged
Scorpio

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jan 5th, 2008, 10:00am »

Yes thanks Scorpioman that does help. Drilled and grooved it is.  I only need to source a full set of used cosworth  calipers with the brackets now. Thanks guys.
IP Logged

big_neil

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 5th, 2008, 12:34pm »

i tried ebc green stuff  drilled and grooved discs all round on my cosworth but there was little improvement , i am now on unipart pads and discs and find them better than FMD original , i think it,s an individual car thing and you,ve got to try different brands, what works well for some might not for others even though they are the same car with different idiosychronies. best of luck. (i think you are right with the parts bin mike, my dec 98 scorp is listed as mondeo pads on some lists)
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 5th, 2008, 12:52pm »

We have numerous Scorpio funeral vehicles most of which have 2.9 12v engines,the one with a 2.3 is fitted by the coachbuilders with the big brakes from new,if it were a saloon it would not have them,this would lead me to think that you could bolt the big brakes straight on!
       Good luck GOZZ
IP Logged
REDRDLC

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Jan 6th, 2008, 5:32pm »

HI,
YES THAT IS WHO I GOT MY DISCS FROM.
IP Logged
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Jan 6th, 2008, 6:59pm »

Just a quickie,i fitted cossie discs & calipers all round on my 12 valve estate & can honestly say i have noticed little difference.
IP Logged

Lord...Sometimes im not that bright
a900one

A scorpio is for life not just for christmas

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: Jan 7th, 2008, 9:52pm »

My 98 cosworth has the 278 discs and has mondeo pads that dont cover all the disc area. I did try to get pads that would cover all the disc with no success.
They do work ok with no brake fade.
IP Logged
TTPmaverick

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Jan 7th, 2008, 10:07pm »

Hi i have fitted a lot of brake disc's and pads if you are thinking of going on a track day get your self a good set of drilled and sloted Disc's.  

If you would like Good Brakes buy your self a good make like unipart or mintex. Its cheap pads that make your brakes feel poor.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.