Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 7:19am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Progress report & a few questions »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Progress report & a few questions
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Progress report & a few questions  (Read 614 times)
mijfife

View Profile Email

Progress report & a few questions
« on: Jan 22nd, 2008, 8:59pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all,
   I've made a start sorting out a couple of the faults on the Ultima TD Estate I bought at the weekend. There was a bit of a judder under braking which was thought to be a warped disc. I stripped the back ones off & replaced them with the ones from my spares car. I also noticed that the R/H handbrake lever had seized, probably explains why the handbrake wasn't holding and the reason for the suspected warped disc too! All changed today (spares car had a virtually new caliper - result! Smiley) Built everything back up but there's still a bit of a judder. Front discs & pads look new. Could it be suspension bush related? It's only noticable under light braking and I'm sure I've read something on here about that before but can't find it!
Tomorrow will be spent changing the power steering rack as it's leaking badly. Spares car to the rescue again) Would Dexron 2 Auto transmission fluid be ok to use in the power steering? I can only find reference to the Ford stuff ESP M2C 166 - H  
I'd like to get the cruise control working too. The green dash light comes on but the cruise doesn't engage. Where should I check first? Again the cruise from the spares car works perfectly.
The radio display has the usual problem of just a blank green screen. The spares car is exactly the same, both are the 7000 units, can this be fixed?

Well that's enough for just now, all help greatly appreciated  Wink

Cheers Jim
IP Logged

'96 2.5TD Ultima estate running on veg oil!
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

Re: Progress report & a few questions
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22nd, 2008, 9:42pm »

hi there

there should be no movement in any of the bushes.

check/change the module just behind the drivers headlight, but before doing that, check the cable going into it.

hth
IP Logged
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:28pm »

hi, yea Dexron 2 Auto transmission fluid will be fine, its what ive got in my cossie with no problems, there is a Lucas product available to that also acts as a sealer, its good stuff and does indeed seal any leaks.

as for the radio, it a bit hit and miss, i normally just stick them in the hot airing cubbard for a week then put back in the car with the temp on high (radio powered up) and leave it idling for half hour or so, they've always been working when ive come back to check and not had a problem after, but other members have had no luck at all with them  Undecided
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:57pm »

You are perhaps referring to my input on the brake judder some while back....

The solution I came across worked and no problems since then. It is a matter of simply getting the brakes good and hot. The method I used was to find an empty and safe place to apply maximum braking from say 80mph and to do it three times in sucession with minimum delays in between, without actually coming to a complete stop at any time. It is supposed to relieve the stresses in the disk castings allowing them to return to true and clean the surface of pad material ebbeded in the disk surface. Which one was causing my judder I don't know, but I do know I no longer have the judder.

Along the way to trying to resolve the judder, I also fitted new rear wishbone bushes. It wasn't quite so bad at that time and the bushes certainly seemed to cure it at that time. They cost about £30 delivered, its an easy (trivial) two hour job and certainly tidied up the handling. Mine were in a poor state, but you do not see how bad until they are out. If you have a go at these, make sure fit them the correct way round and take careful note of how the washers fit.  

My judder too was only apparent under light braking from 60 down to about 50mph.  

An easy way to find the cruise control actuator, is to simply following its throttle control (bowden) cable from the throttle end, towards the radiator. My cruise turned out to be inoperative due to oxidation of the connections at the black box controller itself. This is the small module fitted on a tray above your shins when you are driving. Unclip the soft panel above your feet and you should be able to find it. Plugging and unplugging a few times cleared the oxidation on the pins.  
IP Logged

August '95 2.9 12v auto Ultima -
Now flashing Smiley
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jan 23rd, 2008, 8:57am »

The bowden cable attaches to the throttle linkage with a small plastic 'banjo' clip and can simply fall off...as mine did... make sure it is correctly fitted and holding.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
mijfife

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 23rd, 2008, 10:24am »

Thanks for the tips so far guys  Smiley I did check the cruise control cable was on at the throttle end and it is but looks a bit slack to me. I'll compare it with the spares car and check the other things suggested before I start swapping the modules etc.
Harry, yes it was your original post I was thinking off. I changed both rear discs, callipers and pads from the spares car and was careful to keep the pads in the same place. I'll be putting new pads in next week anyway and I'll see how everything is when it all beds in. That's an interesting tip on braking from 80mph   Shocked Not advisable on a busy motorway or a frosty night I guess  Grin Do you just hit the brake pedal and let the ABS bring your speed down? I wonder if Edinburgh Airport would give me half an hour on their runway?   Cheesy
Just heading out to check the steering rack on the spares car and hopefully get it changed over.

Thanks again everyone,

cheers Jim
IP Logged

'96 2.5TD Ultima estate running on veg oil!
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jan 23rd, 2008, 8:56pm »

on Jan 23rd, 2008, 10:24am, mijfife wrote:
Thanks for the tips so far guys  Smiley I did check the cruise control cable was on at the throttle end and it is but looks a bit slack to me. I'll compare it with the spares car and check the other things suggested before I start swapping the modules etc.

Mine had about 1/2 inch of slack in it - I adjusted it to about 1/8 inch, which seems to make the cruise take over the throttle a bit quicker.  

Quote:

That's an interesting tip on braking from 80mph   Shocked Not advisable on a busy motorway or a frosty night I guess  Grin Do you just hit the brake pedal and let the ABS bring your speed down?

No figures were suggested in the item I read on the subject, other than the need to get the disks good and hot. I just translated that into four sessions of maximum braking from 80mph and yes, I did trigger the ABS and scared the hell out of SWMBO who was riding shot gun. It was good practise anyway to see just how quick this car can stop when it needs to - I don't normally make much serious use of the brakes.

After that 'fix', I was left with just the very lightest of judders - barely noticeable really and just at the point you apply light initial braking.  That seemed to gradually sort itself out and the fix seems to be permanent.

The theory suggests it is caused by heavy use of brakes, then leaving the pedal pressed thus causing the disk to be distorted because it will not cool as quick where the pads are. An alternative theory suggests material is left on the disk from the pad - you can often actually see such a pad mark on the disk surface.  

Do please let us know if it works for you.    
IP Logged

August '95 2.9 12v auto Ultima -
Now flashing Smiley
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.