Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 7:29pm

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Jacking point »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Jacking point
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Jacking point  (Read 2119 times)
craigs2007

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Jacking point
« on: Feb 7th, 2008, 8:01am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi,
Im a complete novice when it comes to cars.I have a puncture and i dont know where to put the trolley jack to jack the car up..The manual dont show enough detail
Thanks
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

Re: Jacking point
« Reply #1 on: Feb 7th, 2008, 8:33am »

THIS PAGE shows in detail the jacking method and points.. when you look inside the edge of the wheel arch you will see the locating pins make sure the jack goes right on to the pin and the jack gets under the jacking point. the pins will NOT take the weight of the car... A Small trolley jack is sometimes a good investment for home things but never trust any jack ....
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
craigs2007

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Feb 7th, 2008, 9:26am »

Thanks for the reply..Ive got that diagram in the manual but wen i look under the car i cant see where to put it.what i want to make sure is that i use the trolley jack on the right point..Is it near the jacking pin just a bit further back?
Thanks
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Feb 7th, 2008, 10:55am »

Does THIS photo help?. If you look at the trolley jack you can see the jacking 'pin' for the supplied jack protruding over the arm of the trolley jack from the sill. The trolley jack MUST locate on a main suspension member and if you look under the car and at the photo it will give you a good idea of where Dave has located his. Note that there is also an axle stand (yellow) under the same suspension arm. If you have not done this type of thing before you would be well advised to get a mate to guide you. NEVER reach or get under a car which is just supported on a jack.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 7th, 2008, 11:19am »

craigs2007
   I do this all the time because we have a fleet of these illustrious machines?Put your trolley jack right in the centre of the main front crossmember i.e.the one that carries the engine and steering rack,for the rear jack under the spring pans one at a time.Loosen the wheelnuts first and ensure that the jack can run(smooth surface),and that the handbrake is hard on or chocks employed.When jacking the back put the jack in from under the boot,not the side.
IP Logged
Daven

I'm a cheeky Boy! (Simmos fan club)

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: Feb 7th, 2008, 12:52pm »

on Feb 7th, 2008, 10:55am, Simmo wrote:
NEVER reach or get under a car which is just supported on a jack.

Totally agree - I even put the spare wheel under the chassis while I swop the wheels over or if not working on the car put the wheel you have taken off under the car for added protection - remember the Scorpio is nearly 2 ton!

Dave
IP Logged
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Feb 7th, 2008, 10:25pm »

on Feb 7th, 2008, 10:55am, Simmo wrote:
Does THIS photo help?.  

I use the above method, plus the front cross member, though it is a bit of a reach for most trolley jacks. If I want to lift the entire rear end, I put the jack under the towing bracket frame in the centre/rear. This latter leaves the spring area clear of the jack and thus enables axle stands to be more easily placed there.

If I need the entire car up in the air, I reverse the rear wheels onto ramps - handbrake on and in gear, then use the trolley jack to lift the front end. I have two sets of ramps and I'm toying with the idea of putting a ramp under each of the four wheels to lift both ends in one go.

My garage floor and main part of my drive where I work is flat, so if I'm jacking it up with the trolley jack I leave it out of gear, handbrake off. That lets the car roll to suite the jack, which lessens the chance of the jacks head skidding off the chassis as it goes up.  

IP Logged

August '95 2.9 12v auto Ultima -
Now flashing Smiley
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 8th, 2008, 4:33pm »

I never really use  the  recommended  jacking points or the supplied  scissor jack.

For lifting a front corner  with a trolley,  put the jack  arm on the  longitudinal  chassis  member   (  8 inches inboard of the sill  ) .

For the rear corners,  put the jack arm on the rear suspension trailing arm, you only need to lift  the arm  a few inches to clear the ground.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.