Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 8:21am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Coil Springs »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Coil Springs
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Coil Springs  (Read 737 times)
SCDCarter

Executive 2.5TD

View Profile

Coil Springs
« on: Feb 27th, 2008, 6:24pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have a 2.5 TD Scorpio Exec. On my MOT last week it was discovered that both front springs were broken (bottom coil snapped on both sides).

Some time ago I picked up a Scorpio front end suspension off e-bay. Struts/springs and the bits and pieces that go with it. Before buying I asked the seller if they would fit my car and was assured that they would.  

I have this week fitted both the McPherson Struts and the Coil Springs.

Having made a small journey I now find that the strut is protruding about half an inch above the top mount and retainer. I have the nuts screwed down as far as they will go. i.e to the end of the thread. I had thought to take up the play with washers but, this might be a problem that will only get worse.

Although it appears pretty obvious to me what the problem is, I thought I would get confimation from the experts.

I think I have been sold coil springs for a Petrol Scorpio which would be a considerably lighter car than a Diesel.

Can anyone confirm or, put me right. Also, is this an automatic MOT failure as it stands?

thanks

SCD Carter
IP Logged
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Re: Coil Springs
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27th, 2008, 9:19pm »

the springs are colour coded, they should be purple for the td, dont know about the mot bit, i would suspect yes if they notice it...
IP Logged

mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 27th, 2008, 10:10pm »

I wouldn't worry as to the MOT.

As long as the struts and springs  are secure and  work properly.

IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 27th, 2008, 10:41pm »

SCD
   Not too clear what you mean about protrusions?If the spring is too weak the front will be lower than normal.Nothing should protrude.Were the springs and struts built up properly,eg is anything missing out of the top above the spring and seat.
        GOZZ (mystified)
IP Logged
SCDCarter

Executive 2.5TD

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Feb 28th, 2008, 12:06am »

on Feb 27th, 2008, 9:19pm, taliban aka Cheekyboy2 wrote:
the springs are colour coded, they should be purple for the td, dont know about the mot bit, i would suspect yes if they notice it...

There is no other color than black. There was no wrapping/packaging  on them either.  

I read in another strand on this board that there is a marginal difference in the diameter of the coils for Petrol and Diesel engined cars.  Although I have no digital gauge, I did put an adjustable on the ones I have fitted and then tried to put it on the ones I took off.  It appears that the ones I took off are marginally larger.
IP Logged
SCDCarter

Executive 2.5TD

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Feb 28th, 2008, 12:21am »

on Feb 27th, 2008, 10:41pm, gozz wrote:
SCD
   Not too clear what you mean about protrusions?If the spring is too weak the front will be lower than normal.Nothing should protrude.Were the springs and struts built up properly,eg is anything missing out of the top above the spring and seat.
        GOZZ (mystified)

The protrusions I speak of are the top of the suspension strut that runs through the coil spring, the top of which is visible when you open the bonnet. You have the three bolts affixed to the retainer coming through the top of the wing (Suspension Seat) in the centre of which is the nut which screws onto the actual strut. (Sorry if you have already grasped what I am talking about but I am not sure how well I am explaining it).  The nut is screwed all the way down, there is no more thread left.  If you look at this page  
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/frontsusp.htm the last photo on the right hand side shows that there is a further area beyond the thread before the ledge upon which the weight of the car would sit.  It is this part that is protruding through so that it looks as though the struts are too long.
IP Logged
SCDCarter

Executive 2.5TD

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Feb 28th, 2008, 12:27am »

Further to my last, whilst visually the car does not appear to be low, the springs are well compressed with very little gap between the top of the front tyre and the metal of the wing. I had some difficulty getting my hand through with an adjustable to perform my earlier measurements.
IP Logged
martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Feb 28th, 2008, 8:37am »

the amount 'protruding' would be the same if you fitted the strut without the spring on, either there is something missing / damaged in the top mount.
IP Logged

Rally Drivers Do It Sideways
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 28th, 2008, 12:21pm »

SCD.
   The steel bit on top of the rubber and below the retaining nut is about half an inch above the turret where the three nuts are,the big nut has about half inch of thread above the nut.It sounds as if you are saying that there is an amount of the shaft below the thread protruding.If this is so,as martin_rowe says something has been omitted when the last person fitted the springs.Best to look at getting the missing parts from your original struts,or preferably fit the springs to your old struts.Dont worry if the car sits a bit low,the MOT bloke cant fail it,but if he sees faulty strut tops he could.
      Hope I,ve understood you this time.GOZZ
IP Logged
SCDCarter

Executive 2.5TD

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Feb 28th, 2008, 3:49pm »

HI,

Thanks for all the help.  I have now found that my old Top Mounts (Rubber) have a metal bush in the centre that appears to be moulded into the fitting. The metal bush enables the mount to sit on top of the Strut.  The new Mounts that I have do not have this metal bush.  

I have now taken everything apart and refitted the old top mounts.

The good thing was that a job that took me all from first thing in the morning to last thing at night the first time was completed in 2.5 hours the second time. Although I will put that down to the fact that I had no problems with rusting nuts and bushes rather than any expertise on my part.  

The car now sits properly.

IP Logged
martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Feb 28th, 2008, 4:40pm »

wow I normally change both front springs in less than 1hr.
IP Logged

gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Feb 28th, 2008, 8:14pm »

Are you McLaren trained martin_rowe ?
        Plodder GOZZ.
IP Logged
martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Feb 29th, 2008, 8:40am »

no just 30 odd years doing the job. you ask the wife how quick I am.
IP Logged

gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Feb 29th, 2008, 8:47am »

Thought we were speaking of springs ! Wink
       GOZZ
IP Logged
martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Feb 29th, 2008, 2:08pm »

she watched me when I did her springs. (the car I mean)
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.