Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 10:21am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Imobiliser query »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Imobiliser query
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Imobiliser query  (Read 751 times)
mijfife

View Profile Email

Imobiliser query
« on: Feb 29th, 2008, 4:09pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all, when I bought my TD Ultima, I was supposed to get the master key and two black ones with it but the seller could only find the black key he was using (In the middle of a house move apparently) If I don't get the other keys, I wondered what my options were?
The spares car, a 2.3 Ultima does have it's master key so my question is this. Is the immobilising circuit part of the main ECU or is this a separate unit that I could take from the 2.3, complete with all the locks obviously and fit into the TD? Failing that, does anyone know how much a new master key from ford would be? I get very nervous at only having one key for the car    Huh

Cheers Jim
IP Logged

'96 2.5TD Ultima estate running on veg oil!
tintin

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

Re: Imobiliser query
« Reply #1 on: Feb 29th, 2008, 4:42pm »

Hi,

Im not sure the early ones had a master "red" key. When i got my 95 cossie, the guy said it never had one. When I replaced both the ECU and the CCM under the glovebox early last year, the old key worked just fine, didnt even need reprogramming. Suspect the PATS is somewhere behind the steering wheel cowl, but not sure if anyone has actually found it  Huh

Hope this helps,
IP Logged

'95 Cosworth Ultima
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 29th, 2008, 11:25pm »

I think the little transceiver fitted round ignition barrel and held on by one screw,reads the key and transmits the code to the PATS module,it would'nt be a terrible job to change your barrel and transceiver (4 pin plug) and see the result,you would'nt need to change the locks necessarily.Why not give it a go,it,s not too technical !
      GOZZ.
IP Logged
vanman

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Mar 2nd, 2008, 12:13pm »

I think the key reader around the barrel only reads the key,and the PATS unit enables the system if the right key is used ,so you would have to change the PATS unit.bit of a secret to where it is located?
IP Logged
mijfife

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 2nd, 2008, 12:23pm »

Thanks for the advice so far guys, at least it sounds like the PATS unit is separate. I had a look at the manual on here but understandably, the security part isn't on for public viewing. I couldn't get the email bit to work to request it though.  

Could someone (one of the moderators perhaps?) VIA PM ONLY!! either pass this part of the manual on to me or let me know where the PATS is located?

Kind regards, Jim
IP Logged

Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 2nd, 2008, 3:02pm »

There is no way of geting the info you requested we did not even get it from FMD when tyhey gave us the TIS info so sorry on that one.. The Pats unit on the early models is seperate and is housed on the inside of the bulkhead left of centre behind the glove box area ... I would have thought you could swop over but it is possible to get a NEW master key programmed by FMD or other AUTO Locksmiths at a cost of around £60 AFAIK... See HERE for locksmiths ....

HTH

IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
tintin

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 2nd, 2008, 3:32pm »

im having problems with mine at the moment. swapping the ecu and ccm (units behind the glovebox) did NOT require any reprogramming of key or fob.

BUT there is a problem with the car not "unimmobilising". the key fob locks and unlocks the car (as does the key), so this is specifically the immobiliser, not the alarm. i presume its not connected to the ecu/ccm. our (Highlanders) next steps i think is to replace the transponder by the ignition barrel, and hold the relevant key near it to see if it unimmobilises (no need to change all the locks, just have it on the keyring).

i presume there is a battery in the key itself to generate a signal, im wondering if its that that is failing (it sometimes starts fine, sometimes its immobilised). if so, no idea how to change it (or is it a new key?).  

the only other part is the transponder.....or the wiring from it to the ccm/ecu.

will keep you posted
IP Logged

'95 Cosworth Ultima
Stixy

I should know better

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Mar 2nd, 2008, 6:12pm »

My last Scorpio came with only one key and Ford wanted  £70 to supply and program a new master and slave so the the system had 3 keys .

But i didnt want to pay that much so i got 2 plain non transponder keys cut £4 ea  then carefully cut the chip out of my working pats key and securly Taped the chip to the antena part of the tranciever and put it all back together  and it all worked fine  

Effectively my old car does not have a working immobiliser now so i used a disclock type security device and passed it on to the cars current owner  

Not perfect i know but spending £8 is better than £70
IP Logged
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Mar 2nd, 2008, 9:38pm »

In responce to Tintin...

What you are describing as a 'transponder' is to the best of my knowledge just a simple loop/coil  of wire around the ignition barrel area. The correct use for the term 'transponder' would be to call the electronics in the key the transponder - it TRANSmits a signal in resPONce to a request for a code from the PATS unit.    

There is no battery needed for that transponder, the coil of wire generates a pulse of current, which is picked up by the transponder in the key and sed to power its electronics - the transponder in the key then responds with a code - which is then picked up by the coil of wire and fed back to the PATS module.

You could put the transponder part of the in the area of the ignition barrel and providing you had another key which physically fitted and there were no other transponders nearby, the car should start. One trick to try is to cover the plastic part of your normally working ignition key, completely over with aluminium cooking foil. That should prevent the key from starting the car, until the foil is removed.  

My 95 has one red original Ford master and  two black keys.
IP Logged

August '95 2.9 12v auto Ultima -
Now flashing Smiley
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 2nd, 2008, 10:00pm »

harry.m1byt.
  The loop as you refer to it carries the following words:-FORD PATS XCVR MADE IN PORTUGAL
     PATS TRANSCEIVER 95GG-15607-AD
       UDM55628
  It does indeed contain a multi winding copper coil in addition to a PCB with about a dozen components on it
         GOZZ
   P.S. Did you receive a pm from me re EEC IV ?
IP Logged
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Mar 3rd, 2008, 7:41pm »

I have just spotted your email and have now replied to it.  

The electronics around the lock will be to generate the pulse of energy to trigger the key into responding with its code and an amplifier to boost the signal returned. A transceiver (transmitter + receiver) would be a correct name to use for that part.
IP Logged

August '95 2.9 12v auto Ultima -
Now flashing Smiley
mijfife

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Mar 17th, 2008, 2:46pm »

Just a quick follow up on this one, I tried changing the electronic unit around the lock and holding the matching key beside it while I turned the ignition and.....nothing  Sad it looks like the main immobiliser unit beneath the glove box will need changed as well, a job for another day then!

Cheers Jim
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.