Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 10:13am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« magnetic fuel savers »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   magnetic fuel savers
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: magnetic fuel savers  (Read 1433 times)
stevie

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

magnetic fuel savers
« on: Mar 12th, 2008, 1:37am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hi was looking around tinternet and found adverts for fuel savers they are magnetic clamps claiming to clean the engine of carbon and "varnish " deposits and improve the fuel consumption d i saw one of these at a local motor show last year they clamp around the fuel inlet feed line was wondering if anyone had used one or knew anything about them do they work could they affect the running of my much loved scorp
IP Logged
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

Re: magnetic fuel savers
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12th, 2008, 6:43am »

They have been discussed on here many times in the past, if you do a search you will find that the conclsion is generally that if they were any good they would be fitted to every car that was manufactured.  The best way to improve economy is through regular maintenance.

Did you ever hear the story of the Kings New Clothes, once people have paid out thier money for these things they are reluctant to admit they have wasted it, so they tell themselves that they work, the only ones they work for and that is the people who manufacture and sell them.... Loads of money..... Sad

Only my opinion based on lots of research..... Ecotech.

hth

pete

Edit.... There are similar gadgets in the plumbing trade which claim to stop pipes furring up..... the only sure thing is that they are VERY expensive... however they ONLY cost about 30p per year to run, so people buy them... a Good Little Earner.... Huh
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Mar 12th, 2008, 7:39am »

I agree with Pete and can't wait for Johnnycab to give an opion !!. Cheesy Grin
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
stevie

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Mar 12th, 2008, 7:46am »

the one i,v seen on the net is only £10 just wondered what everyones oppinion was point taken guys my scorp aint that bad on petrol bout 32 mpg average its a 2.3 auto
IP Logged
stevie

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Mar 12th, 2008, 12:45pm »

how about lpg conversions do you get government help i,v heard you do
IP Logged
martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Mar 12th, 2008, 1:23pm »

32mpg av, wow, my 2.3 does around 20mpg, mind you its the works van & deffinatly driven like its stolen. thats bwhat the red line in the tacho is for. (change gear now)over 150k & still going strong.
IP Logged

Rally Drivers Do It Sideways
davem

A member since August 2000

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 12th, 2008, 5:05pm »

The best way I found to improve economy...is to drive less  Cheesy
IP Logged

'95 Cosworth - 185,000 miles and still going
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Mar 12th, 2008, 7:01pm »

I have done extensive research & experimentation with various types of so called fuel savers...... Wink

I tried the 'Fuel Cat' (an inline fuel catalyst containing magnets & tin alloy) for a while & there was no difference....so that was a con  Roll Eyes

Then, just out of curiosity, I bought a couple of those wrap around magnet jobs off Ebay & again there were absolutely no benefits  Roll Eyes

I even had an inline catalyst in my old MK1 Granny that I was assured (by a mechanic) would make it run fine on unleaded fuel when leaded fuel was no longer available. I ran this for a few years & had no problems, but guess what happened when I removed it & just ran the old girl on neat unleaded....yep, you guessed it....nothing.....it ran just the same  Roll Eyes

So to conclude my findings in the area of cheap & nasty products that claim to save fuel & give your car more power....

....It's all a big SCAM !!!  Angry

Also I found this about the 'Fuel Cat' fuel saver & I'm sure there will be a few more companies like this who will be getting into similar trouble in the future....... Smiley

http://www.motortrader.com/18747/Fuel-Cat-ads-misleading-admits.ehtml
IP Logged
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Mar 12th, 2008, 7:41pm »

No one is more gullable than me when it comes to gadgets & gismo,s.I must of tried most of these things over the years & can quite honestly say they are all rubbish.You would probably be better off spending your money on a good service
IP Logged

Lord...Sometimes im not that bright
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Mar 12th, 2008, 8:41pm »

all the magnet will do is magnetically remove money from your pocket.....
IP Logged

gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Mar 12th, 2008, 9:12pm »

Like jonnycab I ran a 2.8 hearse on unleaded much against severe advice from the pundits.After 2000 miles I checked the tappets on one bank,and after 4000 miles I checked them on the other.No difference at all,therefore no recession.I therefore deemed the fitting of a gismo unnecessary !  Huh
         GOZZ
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Mar 12th, 2008, 10:56pm »

LOL, this old chesnut again Smiley

I've had a dozen different opinions now on whether the Capri will run on leaded, some say it will, some say it won't, some say it will but will be down on power (it's only got 98bhp in the first place, jeez Roll Eyes)..

But I'm yet to hear anything which says these fuel cat things work, the only thing I'll be shelling out for will be valve inserts if it has trouble on unleaded.

Better to use that money to help replace an aged part like a lambda or for an injector service which will give you better MPG guaranteed. Just like these airflow turbine things, they only mimic what the resonator does downstream anyway. Same with the things you piggyback onto the IAT sensor which are supposed to give you 15bhp...if in this age of precision ECUs Ford could add another 15bhp so easily, wouldn't they have done it in the first place? All it does is b****rs up the igntion advance and ECU fuel maps.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Mar 12th, 2008, 11:02pm »

Makes me laugh about what the 'Fuel Cat' distributors said in the above link I posted......

"Fuel Cat directors Philip and Dragica Brodie agreed not to make the misleading claims again.

Philip Brodie told Motor Trader that he had been selling the product for over 10 years with no complaints from consumers.  

"Its totally silly. He said that from now on he would use testimonies from users and the catchphrase: "Thousands of people cannot be wrong."

I complained to this company about the product & they told me the same thing (didn't use my testimony though...I wonder why  Roll Eyes)....they offered to refund my money or send me the new, improved fuel cat. I plumped for the new improved version as I considered my cash already spent & was intigued as to what they would send me ?

They sent me another unit that was also just as useless as the original....I've still got it & I'm holding it as evidence  Wink

After speaking to the distributors of this so called wonder product, then I am convinced that they are convinced that it works & that they themselves have been duped  Roll Eyes

So it's not just us gullible car owners trying to save a buck that can be convinced of parting with our money. Distributors can also fall foul of the various marketing ploys that convince them to buy in bulk  Wink

"If it's too good to be true, then it probably is"....is a phrase that springs to mind  Wink...... Grin

IP Logged
stevie

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Mar 13th, 2008, 7:48am »

wow guess you guys feel very strong bout these gadgets think i wont bother with them just wondered what ya,l thought thanks guys i get bout 69 miles to a tenner,s worth of petrol not bad for an automatic 2.3 motor
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: Mar 13th, 2008, 11:10pm »

stevie.
Next year it could be fifteen quid,and you will still get 69 miles,but of course we will all be so much better off by then !  Grin
IP Logged
tve

Independent service

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Mar 14th, 2008, 5:09am »

http://superactivator.ru/page.php?content=order
IP Logged
Alastair

2.3 Ghia X & MGB Roadster

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Mar 14th, 2008, 6:26pm »

Hi Stevie

I agree with the majority of the guys that these gizzmos are just  someone's marketing toy. Having said that the 3 litre essex (Scimitar SE 5A) now runs on an occasional shot of redex lead substitute.

I never was clever enough to understand what 69 miles for £10 meant as you don't say how much per litre you are paying, but assuming £ 1.05 per litre (current Edinburgh) near as d--n it £5.00 a gallon, that means that you are getting 34.5 mpg out of a 2.3.

DONT TOUCH ANYTHING

I am just back from a week in the Lake District, did 520 miles ( all road types) got 26.4 from my 2.3

Alastair
IP Logged
stevie

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Mar 14th, 2008, 8:34pm »

only way i,l be better off is if i mean when i win the lottery  Grin
IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Mar 15th, 2008, 2:09am »

Stevie, are you getting 69 miles on a tenner from motorway driving or urban driving ?

If it's urban driving, then can I buy your car  Wink....... Grin
IP Logged
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: Mar 15th, 2008, 8:52pm »

What do you get from £10 then jonny ? ? ?.I only do urban stop / start driving & regulary get 60 - 65 miles to a tenner (£1.04 per ltr). Smiley
IP Logged

Lord...Sometimes im not that bright
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.