Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 18th, 2024, 9:35pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Scorpio Reversing sensors »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Scorpio Reversing sensors
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Scorpio Reversing sensors  (Read 2385 times)
davem

A member since August 2000

View Profile Email

Scorpio Reversing sensors
« on: Mar 22nd, 2008, 3:59pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I purchased a retro-fit reversing kit from ebay.  
Here's the one I purchased.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rear-Parking-Reversing-Sensor-4-Sensors-Buzzer-Ala rm_W0QQitemZ220215483559QQihZ012QQcategoryZ75330QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I note this has been done before and documented elsewhere on this board, but here are a few pics and a description of what I did.

I only fitted 4 rear sensors and didn't bother with any front sensors. There are 2 main reasons for this.

1. I have no problem seeing where the front of my car is  Smiley
2. I had already decided I only wanted an audible buzzer type reversing alarm (3 different tones for different distances). I considered a display as well but decided this was unecessary, extra cost and a more difficult installation. Also, I didn't want to attract thieves with some extra flashy LCD panel on display. So if I was going to fit front and rear, it would be "buzzer only" and two seperate systems with two seperate buzzers; both inside the car, with one at the rear and one at the front.  

One issue with these systems is that the unit emits a single beep everytime power is applied to the control unit. The rear is no problem as it is powered from the reversing lights and when you engage reverse gear you get a single beep from the buzzer, which in fact is quite useful as it notifies you that you have selected reverse gear.

However, if I were to fit a front buzzer system it would either have to be permanently powered (via ignition switch) or powered from the brake lights. Neither solution is ideal as the former may beep intermittently in heavy rain (as these sensors do - the rear sensors are only affected by heavy rain while I am in reverse - so that's OK). The latter method will emit a beep everytime you press the brake pedal, which is rather unacceptable. A sensible solution would be to permanently power the front sensors but have a switch near the driver to switch it off in heavy rain. I considered this and decided that I would probably forget to switch it on or off, and as I wanted a "no-switch" fully automated solution, I decided not to bother at all with front sensors.  Smiley I may do it one year.

I looked at the article on http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/8proximity.htm and used the measurements there for the position of the rear sensors.

Firstly, I went to Halfords and got some colour spray paint to match my car colour and spray-painted the 4 sensors. Easy to do and they look so much better than black sensors.

The kit comes complete with a cutter for your drill which is the correct size to drill holes in the bumper. I was a bit nervous about this as the rear bumper was brand new (insurance accident claim), but it was quite easy to cut the holes in the correct places.

Next I fitted the four sensors. I didn't use any of the supplied angling spacers. I then fed the four sensor wires along the inside of the rear bumper and up into the boot. I actually used duct tape to fix the cables on the inside of the bumper. As my bumper is new the tape stuck very well, but if it ever comes loose a few cable ties will fix it.

The following pictures show the four rear sensors and the colour spray matching makes them look like factory fitted sensors.

There is a plastic insert in the spare wheel cavity and I simply drilled a hole in the plastic insert and passed the four sensor wires into the boot. A bit more duct tape secured it here as well.

The control box was placed on top of the CD changer (seemed as good a place as anywhere) and stuck it down with the supplied double-sided sticky pad. The four sensor wires were then connected to the control box.

Next, the control box needed to be powered from the reversing lights. This was easy as the loom for this can be found within the passenger-side arm of the boot lid. The correct wire was found and a wire from this was taken to the control box power connector. To find this "reversing light wire" you may need to refer to the wiring diagrams or switch on the ignition (engine off), select reverse gear and using a meter and a needle, pierce each wire in the loom (with the needle) until you find +12V with the reversing lights on...and 0V with reversing lights off. In the next picture you can see the red wire connecting into the loom for the reversing light. (hmm I must conceal that soon).

Next, I supplied an earth wire to the control box.

Finally, the supplied buzzer was attached to the control box and then fed through the rear seats and placed under the rear seat (passenger side). I simply lifted the rear seats and wedged the buzzer under them in a convenient place near the nearside door. See the picture below:

That's it. Everything works as expected and the kit costs about £23 including delivery.

IP Logged

'95 Cosworth - 185,000 miles and still going
Kjetil S

2001 BMW 520iat

View Profile

Re: Scorpio Reversing sensors
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22nd, 2008, 4:13pm »

Thanks for the howto  Smiley
IP Logged

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Norway
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 23rd, 2008, 12:45am »

Hi Dave

I fitted a six sensor system to mine with a display that I've mounted in front of the sunroof motorcover it works quite well and is very accurate and easy to view while looking in the reversing mirror.  The front sensors were handy occasionally however, when you were driving in the rain the fronts kept going off, I think it was the rain running over the sensors.... Anyway since I had my new bumper fitted I have just left the fronts off. Makes for a peacefull drive in the rain.... Grin

Pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
davem

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 23rd, 2008, 12:10pm »

on Mar 23rd, 2008, 12:45am, peteHull wrote:

and easy to view while looking in the reversing mirror.  

Errr...were we not taught to look over our shoulders while reversing?  Smiley

How do you think my old rear bumper got in that state? Grin
IP Logged

Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Mar 23rd, 2008, 12:56pm »

Or fit a towbar... Grin
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
pete from Hull

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 24th, 2008, 12:32am »

Grin ROFL ROFL Grin Agree

I gotta towbar, that's why I don't look over my shoulder...  Grin Grin I wait for the CRACK!  ROFL ROFL

Pete
IP Logged

davem

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 24th, 2008, 10:59am »

Yes, and that's why I needed a new front bumper as well.  Thanks.  Wink
IP Logged

pete from Hull

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 25th, 2008, 12:02pm »

ROFL ROFL ROFL
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.