Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 12:26pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Couple of niggles.... »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Couple of niggles....
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Couple of niggles....  (Read 910 times)
pinto

TD04 on a galaxy manifold ? whooooooosh !

View Profile Email

Couple of niggles....
« on: Apr 3rd, 2008, 10:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Just started running my '97 2.3 Ghia X scorp and i have a few niggles - wonder if you have any ideas ?

1) Fuel computer is stuck on metric settings (km/l , etc.) and i dont seem to be able to change it to proper imperial  figures Smiley - switch does however change values between instant, range, etc so im not sure its faulty - any hints ?

2) Cruise control doesnt come on, but appears to be all intact - are there any hidden fuses in the system ? or anything else that may cause the problem ?

Thanks
IP Logged
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

Re: Couple of niggles....
« Reply #1 on: Apr 3rd, 2008, 11:16pm »

1) Buttons are known to not make good contact.  There are old posts about cleaning them up but I don't know when or where.

2) Do you mean the light on the dash doesn't come on, or that it won't hold a speed?  If the light comes on then check the switch on the clutch pedal (unless it's an auto!)

Darren
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Apr 3rd, 2008, 11:20pm »

1) Probably a dirty switch it uses resistive values rather than just a simple contact so if dirty it gives the wrong value. See here you can do a reset to check the values that are item 12 in the table at the bottom of the page:
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/instreset.htm

(Note the needles will reset/flick round next time you turn on the ignition after a reset)

2) Just in case you’re not doing it right:
Press top left button to turn on cruise control (nothing happens, no light, it’s just ready)
When travelling at 30 or more press the + button on the right side the light should come on and the CC takes over after a moment at the speed you were doing when you pressed the button. Press + to increase by about 1mph – to decrease, = to pause = again to resume at previous setting.
My light doesn’t always come on as I have a problem with the clockspring, but the CC works.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
pinto

TD04 on a galaxy manifold ? whooooooosh !

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 3rd, 2008, 11:37pm »

Thanks all Smiley

CC just doesn't want to work - get to about 35 - 40 mph and press the + button, but it doesn't hold speed or appear to work at all (also, no dash lights).  Pressing + or - has no effect either, so im guessing its completely non functional at the mo.
IP Logged
davem

A member since August 2000

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 4th, 2008, 12:43am »

I always found the CC quite confusing....I usually press all the buttons until it comes on  and I shoot upto 90mph Grin

but looking at the fuses and relays on the Scorp site there seems to be a relay marked "Speed Control System"
R37 Green  located in a retainer behind glove compartment. Maybe this is the one and faulty or missing.
IP Logged

'95 Cosworth - 185,000 miles and still going
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Apr 4th, 2008, 2:35am »

Have you checked that the plunger on the brake pedal switch is pulled out as far as it will go ?  Smiley
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 4th, 2008, 12:13pm »

on Apr 4th, 2008, 12:43am, davem wrote:
I always found the CC quite confusing....I usually press all the buttons until it comes on  and I shoot upto 90mph Grin

but looking at the fuses and relays on the Scorp site there seems to be a relay marked "Speed Control System"
R37 Green  located in a retainer behind glove compartment. Maybe this is the one and faulty or missing.

hi there

unless traction control is fitted, the cruise control is on the horn circuit for some reason. Undecided

hth
IP Logged
davem

A member since August 2000

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 4th, 2008, 1:29pm »

Well OK...so 2 things to check. The horn circuit, fuse etc, but I imagine if that's the correct relay, it should still be present and in the same place, but perhaps protected via the horn fuse. If you say that TC is fitted, then maybe protected by the TC fuse. Makes sense to me  Wink Where's the confused as f*** emoticon?

5 minutes later..........

OK I just had a look at the wiring diagram for CC...they call it "Speed Control". Actually that's my right foot. Anyway..

It looks like they had about 3 different goes at implementng this, but for your year of Scorp, I would suggest you check...

1. Fuse 16
2. Fuse 14
3. Stop lamp switch - off or pressed
4. Clutch pedal position switch - off or pressed (I dont know if yours is manual or auto)
5. Speed Control Cut-off Relay (Behind passenger side dash) - ABS with Traction only
6. Speed control module
7. Brake pedal position switch - hard pressed or normal press.

I presume the light in the dash is working  Grin

IP Logged

'95 Cosworth - 185,000 miles and still going
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Apr 5th, 2008, 9:15am »

Just a couple of points....

The green cruise light is almost invisible if you turn your lights on (it dims the brightness).

Press the top left button to turn on, then at over 25mph press the + button. Light should come on and the speed should be held. Mine didn't work and I traced it to oxidation of the contacts at the cruise control module. This is above your knees/legs as you are driving. Drop down the soft trim panel and the module sits on a tray with its plug facing you. Just unplug it a few times to clear the oxidation - probably due to the driver getting in with wet shoes.

If the light comes on, it might be the actuator seized. This is just behind the radiator to the offside. The easy way to find it is to follow the bowden cable from the throttle - one cable goes to the accelerator, the other forward to the actuator.

Even when it is working properly, there is a long delay before it takes over due to the actuator - which could fool you into thinking it is not working.
IP Logged

August '95 2.9 12v auto Ultima -
Now flashing Smiley
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.