Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 9th, 2024, 12:19am

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Insurance Help Required »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Insurance Help Required
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Insurance Help Required  (Read 1119 times)
josswallace

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

Insurance Help Required
« on: Apr 10th, 2008, 9:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Apologies if I shouldn't post this here......up until last September I had 9 years NCD not protected. Last September I did have a "my fault" accident and I have just found out that my insurance company are going to slash this back to 2 years.  

Does any one know of any companies that would look at the record....1 "my fault claim" in 10 years.

Any help would be appreciated
IP Logged
Waglet

Aubergine 24V

View Profile

Re: Insurance Help Required
« Reply #1 on: Apr 10th, 2008, 9:19pm »

I like swiftcover.com, worth a quote I reckon and its all on line.
IP Logged

Waglet
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Apr 10th, 2008, 9:21pm »

there probably is, i would suggest trying one of those compare sites to see whats on offer, failing that what your current insurance company is offering is exactly that, an offer, phone them up and dont accept it, they'll always do better than the first 'offer' and if you've been with them some time it doesnt look good on the salesperson to lose a longstanding customer, and if they still dont offer anything better than anyone else, just say ok, im cancelling and tomorrow im accepting a better deal from......they'll either let you go or give a final offer...
IP Logged

taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Apr 10th, 2008, 9:25pm »

always remember if you pay monthly its a credit agreement which means you're paying interest which obviously means you're paying more than quoted....
IP Logged

dxt

I'm an oldie.

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Apr 22nd, 2008, 6:05pm »

Try www.crowthorne.co.uk ........... My grandson got a great deal from them. Worth a try.
dxt
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 22nd, 2008, 7:01pm »

Direct Line Undecided

I pay mine monthly, it's about £70 more over the year that way. Even with a clean license my insurance is still in the high hundreds, Mondeo is on a dual policy so nowhere near as bad. Have mine going out on the 1st of every month on a standing order on my debit card, the money's always in there so not too bad, no fussing about renewals either, no depression when it comes to chucking away £700 that I'll never see again at renewal time Undecided

Best thing is to go online to someone like confused.com and get a dozen or so quotes. I got a great quote from someone a few months back (can't remember, classic insurance co or something), around £400 fully comp Shocked

Phoned them up, spoke to a charming lady who told me I'm too young and still a liability to them and regrettably they can't cover me...just because I've had a clean license for 5 years means nothing to them Roll Eyes  

Still, at least it's only another £80 or so when I get my XJR Grin

Good luck.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Apr 22nd, 2008, 9:07pm »

My insurance is with the AA, fully comp, about £325 with full NCD and protected.
Just had a quote with Hastings Direct on the web and it came out at around £250 so will probably be switching.

If you have been a careful driver and clocked up max NCD I think it makes sense to pay a bit extra to protect it.
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
cossie_al

Ex 24v

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Apr 22nd, 2008, 9:13pm »

I agree that the comparison sites are good, but in a situation like this I would suggest ringing round a bit.
When I had my bike (cbr1000) the online quotes were huge as I only had one yrs no claims on the bike but had never claimed on my car insurance in over eleven years.
privalege insurance matched my car no claims for the bike roughly halving the quote.
IP Logged
chrali

I'm a Bug Eyed Wildebeast newbie

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Apr 24th, 2008, 1:01pm »

Chaps I dont think weve actually answered joss's question as such.  

I had a prang and though no probs I had 8 years NCB, and was shocked to find I'd been reduced to 3 years, when I though I'd be on 6.

I reckon they all do it, but its probably down to whatever the ins co treats as max NCB (that makes a difference) if you know what I mean.

IP Logged

Encourage alternative fuels - use all the petrol!
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Apr 24th, 2008, 1:49pm »

cossie, thats interesting about the bike insurance. as i know from mates in the past that they no longer connect the two, i.e. as you say full no claims on car means nothing on bike insurance. luckily for me my bike insurance is just under 200 quid for a gsxr750, but i am an old git now (43) and have full ncb.
IP Logged

TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Apr 24th, 2008, 6:10pm »

Hi guys. The reason I said look on an online comparison site was that you can mess with NCB, mileage and things and see how it's likely to affect the quote before you commit to anything. Sure, better to phone around but it gives you an idea to start with.

I have an honest valuation on the Jag of £6k for the spec, mileage and condition for its age. But whether I'd get any more than the £1500 list price for an average 13 y/o wreck is another thing, just going by how much we got for the Capri when we fought it..

Mondeo is dual driver and even with that valued at £1500 I doubt we'd get offered any more than £2-300 for the average Mondeo banger from that year.

Too young for NCB protection or any other perks but still better than the quotes I was getting from the local broker...

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
cossie_al

Ex 24v

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Apr 24th, 2008, 9:23pm »

Just reread my post and it dose seam to miss the point a bit Undecided
What I was trying to say was that by actualy talking to various insurance companies joss may find one that will give him more than 2yrs ncb.
as you say joss 1 claim in 10 yrs should not make you high risk.
Hope that makes a bit more sense.

Taliban,
Not had my bike for a number of years now Cry but I remember the guy at privalege saying they could offer it to me as a new custmer if I went ahead with the quote there and then.
Regards,
Al
IP Logged
timduffy7

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Apr 25th, 2008, 9:41am »

Hi Joss
a note to let you know my expreince with insurance. I,am 50+ I came back to the Uk after working overseas for a few years. So when I went to get insurance I was starting from square 1  I phoned around localy and ended up getting insurance with a local company as a driver with no claims history for £460 I was driving a Range Rover. This year when it came up for renewal they quoted me £577. I rang them and they said it was the best they could offer. So I went on the internet and googled  ( car insurance quote UK )  I went to a couple of the sites that came up. I filled my details in and got a few quotes, The best quote I now had was £440 for the Scorpio I now have. I didn't actually buy anything. I was feeling better but left it at that.
The next morning I got phone calls from 2 of the sites I had got quotes from. I was suprised, as I was only getting quotes I didn't buy anything. In getting the quotes I filled all my details in, Name age address, phone number ECT.
The first call went  ----- Hello Mr Duffy you got a quote from are internet site, we think we can get you a better quote, would you be interested? --  Yes---  OK we will transfer you.    The phone rang for a bit, she came back and said   Sorry theres no answer can I ring you back. I replyed OK thanks.    
Shortly after the same again from another site. They transfered me and  when they transfered me it turned out they had transfered me to a Insurance brokers office about 5 mile from my home. They asked me what quote I had  and came back with a quote for £378. I was well pleased and bought this.  I then said to the lady "look your a Broker not an Insurance company. So you put me with an insurance company and get your cut Fair enough. But an internet site put me in touch with you and they didnt get anything why Huh   She replied "the internet site sell us phone calls. We pay them a small amount for every phone call they put through to us.
The lesson of the story is Shop around and the best place to shop around is the Internet.
The Insurance company they put me with was Norwich Union. If I went straigh to Norwich Unions site and got a quote it is higher. LOLLOLLOL
Wishing you the best with your insurance quote.
Tim
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.