Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 7:27pm

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« 2.3 inlet manifold rubber gaskets »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   2.3 inlet manifold rubber gaskets
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2.3 inlet manifold rubber gaskets  (Read 1175 times)
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

2.3 inlet manifold rubber gaskets
« on: May 2nd, 2008, 1:42am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My inlet manifold that I fixed up with Quik Steel & JB Weld & replaced a year ago has started leaking again  Roll Eyes....can't complain though, the repair has lasted for about 25,000 miles  Smiley

Got a real nice spare one in the shed that I'm gonna sling in at the weekend (weather permitting), but was wondering whether I should order new rubber gaskets from FMD ?  Undecided

When I replaced the manifold a year ago I bought a whole set of new gaskets from FMD & seem to remember that they were quite pricey (about £40).

Will they have squished & flattened off that much to warrant needing a new set, or will they be re-usable ?  Undecided

It would be nice to save a few quid  Wink
IP Logged
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

Re: 2.3 inlet manifold rubber gaskets
« Reply #1 on: May 2nd, 2008, 6:59am »

Jon
You have a 2:1 chance on this one,  Huh if you fit new then you will know that it would be ok Smiley  (or should be) If you fit the old ones a: you have the chance to inspect them before fitting Wink  and b:if they are ok then you save the money.... Cheesy

Personally I would take a chance on re-using,  Huh then IF there is a problem the worst thing that can happen is that you'll have it to strip out again to rectify. Lips Sealed

NoNo But then again, I don't have to rely on my car for income.

Another way is to get the new ones and if not needed you could return them...  Huh probably have to pay a handling charge though..... Undecided

Tongue Swings and roundabouts time I think...

best of luck with it.... Wink

Pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: May 2nd, 2008, 8:35am »

ORRRR... you could fit the 2.0 metal intake + it's coresponding gasket like i did on my 2.3  Roll Eyes The plastic intake was ok (no crack, no leek), but the 2.0 one is relay making the 2.3 lump go  Grin
IP Logged

2.0 16V Ultima|2.3 16V Ghia|2.9 24V Cosworth Ghia
Stixy

I should know better

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: May 3rd, 2008, 1:38pm »

on May 2nd, 2008, 8:35am, Octavian_P wrote:
ORRRR... you could fit the 2.0 metal intake + it's coresponding gasket like i did on my 2.3  Roll Eyes The plastic intake was ok (no crack, no leek), but the 2.0 one is relay making the 2.3 lump go  Grin

Does it just nut & bolt on or does it need surgery to make it fit ?
IP Logged
Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: May 3rd, 2008, 1:47pm »

You just need a new 2.0 intake manifold gasket, a plastic T connector and some pieces of hoses or L shaped connectors. Also the wiring must be a bit modified. I'm running a 2.3 with 2.0 sensors so the plugs are a bit different. It took me just one day for the full swap (including an oil + filter change as the car was lifted on jacks Grin )  

Beside the manifold you need the air ducts, resonator (air tunnel from the MAF to the throttle bodies)

Ohh and you must adjust a air bypass screw as the autobox version needs more air than the idle control valve can supply.
IP Logged

2.0 16V Ultima|2.3 16V Ghia|2.9 24V Cosworth Ghia
Stixy

I should know better

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: May 3rd, 2008, 2:01pm »

Smiley thanks
IP Logged
gost

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: May 3rd, 2008, 6:08pm »

Pass LOL
IP Logged

2.3 ultima
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: May 4th, 2008, 2:00am »

I rang FMD to get some gaskets, but guess what.....got to get them in specially & won't be till middle of next week  Roll Eyes

Decided to go with old gaskets as they looked okay....all fitted back in now & seems fine  Smiley

One thing though....on inspecting the old manifold....it wasn't the old repair that had failed.....I had just assumed it was leaking through & down  Roll Eyes

It had actually split underneath, along the bolt shaft  Huh
IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: May 6th, 2008, 12:02am »

Right then....all is not fine now  Angry.....It all seemed well until I started to really drive it.

Every now & then, when you dip the accelerator, there is no power.....like there's no fuel....then wammo !!....it suddenly takes off again  Huh

I'm putting this down to the fact that I re-used the old gaskets & air is getting in somewhere....but where, I'm not sure, as all seems to be sealed. But will defo be ordering new gaskets tomorrow just to make sure.

Another problem that seems to have surfaced is that the rev counter seems to have become erratic....I'm putting this down to the fact that I gave the alternator a good (accidental) soaking of water when flushing the cooling system  Roll Eyes....It may pass, or it may need a new alternator. But it's still charging at about 14.2 volts, so that can wait  Wink

Main problem is the temp guage, when normal (middle) keeps dipping when I press the accelerator  Huh.....

....Why ?....because the new (second hand ) manifold that I have just fitted has a hairline crack that isn't visible to the naked eye, but is big enough for anti freeze to seep through  Angry

So I'm off the road for a couple of days while I wait for FMD to get the gaskets. So off comes the manifold again & out comes the Quick Steel  Wink

If this happens again, then I'm going for the 2.0 manifold conversion  Wink

IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: May 6th, 2008, 5:56pm »

Jon, this lack of power, is it going lean when it happens?

If loads of air were getting in then I think you'd hear it pinking, or at least get a lean miss. Is the vac line from FPR ok? Fuel pressure dropping through lack of vacuum maybe?

You really need to get some OBD data mate, it's the best thing I ever bought for mine Smiley

TPS, fuel trims and MAF for a start, could tell you a lot...losing power isn't something you want pulling out onto a fast road with a fare onboard. I won't even go on a long journey now without stowing the laptop in the boot, just in case.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
5stud

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: May 7th, 2008, 12:25am »

have you puled the breather pipe  which goes round the back of engine then under ex manifold into the block out Huh. I DID
IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: May 7th, 2008, 11:01am »

Thanks for the pointers guys, will check it all out.

The car was running perfectly until I started messing around with the manifold,. I've ordered the new gaskets, so it's just a matter of stripping it all down again, repairing the manifold  Roll Eyes, & making sure it all goes back in as it should.

I'm also wondering whether the spark plugs may cause this strange sudden dip in power ? They've done about 20K & look okay, but it's hard to tell what they are doing when they get hot. So I've got a new set of plugs as well.

I have tried swapping the coil packs & HT leads, but no difference & the loom is all still intact. Have also swapped FRPR, but also no difference  Smiley
IP Logged
TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: May 7th, 2008, 12:57pm »

Sounds like a dip in manifold vac when you give it throttle, could well be some air getting in somewhere. I drove around in a car which was running lean for 6 months, I know the sort of symptoms it causes Roll Eyes

A 4.0 with the power of a Fiesta is not fun Grin

One of the guys on another forum pointed me to Iridium plugs, I bought a set when I was troubleshooting but never put them back in yet for some reason Undecided

Might not give noticeable improvments in the running but they're supposed to take less current so give the coilpacks and HT leads an easier life, might be worth thinking about.

Regards,Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: May 7th, 2008, 2:33pm »

Just got back from FMD with all the stuff apart from 3 fuel rail 'O' rings. They only ordered 1 instead of 4  Huh...... So they've had to order 3 more, which won't be in until tommorow......how frustrating  Angry

Bruce, I reckon you're right about a dip in manifold vac when giving it some throttle. The manifold is out again & it does look as though there is evidence of a slight leakage, it looks as though fuel may have leaked very slightly from one of the manifold gaskets & one of the fuel rail 'O' rings.  

Hopefully, once all fitted back in with new gaskets, then fingers crossed, it'll be fine again  Smiley

But because FMD f****d up the order, then that won't be until tommorow....so another night off work  Angry

At least the weather's nice.....so I'm gonna go & work on my tan & have a few beers  Grin
IP Logged
TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: May 7th, 2008, 5:34pm »

Jon, not sure how much your code reader can do, but if you ever want a full scan just let me know, I've got the full laptop setup and some good software so I can pull live data and things with it.

Best thing is to do a scan and record it while the car is running good, then you've got the info to compare to when something does go wrong...MAF and TPS values, ignition advance etc. Nothing worse than having all the data but having nothing to compare it to Undecided

Anyway, the offer's there mate Smiley

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: May 8th, 2008, 12:39am »

Bruce....my code reader can only read stored codes & that's about it.....cheapo Autel from USA  Roll Eyes

If it doesn't go right after this, then I'll let you know.....thanks for the offer mate  Wink
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #16 on: May 18th, 2008, 9:42am »

hi jc

i've sent you a pm about the manifold.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.