Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 4:29pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Scorpio TD »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Scorpio TD
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Scorpio TD  (Read 925 times)
Savvy

98 Cosworth

View Profile Email

Scorpio TD
« on: May 16th, 2008, 8:26am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

How economical is the TD in every day use? I might have to start commuting longer distances and my 2.3 might cost too much in fuel.

Are there many TD Ultima facelifts about?
IP Logged

VX220 2.2
Y Reg Cosworth Ultima
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

Re: Scorpio TD
« Reply #1 on: May 16th, 2008, 7:18pm »

Well mine only managed 31mpg regardless of how I drove it or distance, but it was one of the early partial-electronic control versions which had less power than the post '96 models, and others with the same engine claim higher figures than I was getting.

Still, ignoring the economy, you've then got the possibility of running it on cooking oil in various concentrations, so it would be cheaper than a petrol to run.  Not sure how many TD Ultimas there were, but be aware that the diesel auto (if that's your thing) is not suitable for towing, according to Ford.

Darren
IP Logged
Savvy

98 Cosworth

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: May 16th, 2008, 7:31pm »

Thanks Darren. I would quite fancy a manual TD post 96 one.  31mpg isn't too bad considering the size of the car.

How did you find it reliability wise?

IP Logged

VX220 2.2
Y Reg Cosworth Ultima
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: May 21st, 2008, 8:05pm »

Apart from problems with the alternator, the engine and gearbox were fine.  The only other problem of note, and common to all Scorpios, is the wiring - mine had burnt out in front of the radiator and this had also damaged the ECU (though both were repairable).  Also the wiring in the boot where it's clipped to the boot lid (saloon).

Darren
IP Logged
TRACEYS_LIMO

I'm a YaBB newbie

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: May 21st, 2008, 8:15pm »

were are you going from to, i am going to be using train for a big job soon in london, car  parking £12per day  Shocked fare on train £11 PER DAY
IP Logged
pinto

TD04 on a galaxy manifold ? whooooooosh !

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: May 23rd, 2008, 9:39pm »

If you already have a 2300, then TBH - forget it

My 2300 returns about 28 mpg round town if driven gently (haven't taken a run yet, so im expecting better things) and if you balance this against the fact that diesel is currently 20 - 25p/litre more expensive than petrol and getting worse by the day, it nullifies any benefits you might get in milage.

Yes, you can run cooking oil with the TD, but it runs you into a whole new area of issues, especially related to long term longevity - having run the technical side of a biodiesel factory ive seen a lot of these first hand too.
IP Logged
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: May 24th, 2008, 12:39pm »

the ford figures for the diesel are approx;

urban 27
steady 56mph 46
steady 75mph 36

that is dependant on tyre size........oh.......and ford telling the truth so in other words expect similar but a bit less.

personally if you find a TD with the later engine in the right condition price etc (and you still want a scorp) then go for it.
ok diesel is a lot more expensive than petrol at the moment as pinto says, but thats at the moment.  
also the diesel lump is more reliable than any of the petrol versions, there is also the versatility of fuel choice, pinto mentions longevity problems but what time period? theres a few members on here that have been using veggie oil for a few years with no problems which suggests to me the car is likely to die from electrical problems etc before the engine dying.
IP Logged

Savvy

98 Cosworth

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: May 24th, 2008, 3:42pm »

I only manage 23.3mpg around town and that's driving gently. I do plan on cleaning the MAF hoping then to get figures more like what pinto mentions. It doesn't appear that the diesel is signifcantly better MPG wise so would probably just keep my 2.3 and appreciate each mile per gallon that little bit more  Grin
IP Logged

VX220 2.2
Y Reg Cosworth Ultima
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: May 24th, 2008, 3:46pm »

it really depends on your journeys, if you're just driving round town all the time then no, the fuel consumption is comparable but if you do plenty of open road stuff then you'll notice a hell of a difference......
IP Logged

taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: May 24th, 2008, 3:55pm »

i cant see you really getting much more than 23 mpg round town, although fords handbook doesnt even list the 2.3 ( Roll Eyes) highest urban figures given for all models are;

2 litre 8v  24.8
2 litre 16v 23.9
2.9 12v 18.1
2.9 24v 19.5
2.5 td 27.2

ford even states that the figures are for simulated urban driving, so in other words they're a lie; probably obtained on a rolling road with no wind resistance etc, then take into account mileage of the engine etc.....
IP Logged

pinto

TD04 on a galaxy manifold ? whooooooosh !

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: May 25th, 2008, 1:25am »

The longevity issue harks back to the old "how long is a piece of string" issue - its very dependant on on the condition of the fuel system, what its been exposed to, etc

Ive seen pumps fail on the first tank of veggie, and some of them make years without any obvious faults - you cant really estimate whats going to happen so running veggie is very much a game of russian roulette.  The only thing i can say with certainty is that the system WILL fail - even new oil contains un-neutralised acids that attack ALL rubber seals and  pipework (even Viton) from day one; running on poor quality filtered waste oil, these acids can be up to 50 times greater in concentration !   Another thing to consider is if there are any PTFE (or realated compound) components - the damage oil causes to PTFE is frighteningly quick !

Also the viscosity of (even preheated) oil will put additional strain on pump bearings and membranes/seals

Two of the primary reasons for running proper FAME biodiesel is the removal of the acid nature of the oil and the lowering of viscosity Smiley...... but the market is awash with badly produced bio containing large quantities of unreacted and unrecovered methanol...... and thats even worse than the oil alone ! Undecided

Strayed somewhat from the orginal topic, but a worthwhile diversion I hope Smiley
IP Logged
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: May 25th, 2008, 7:55pm »

yeah it was worthwhile pinto, informative. i think the pump is the main concern being a pricey item, but it has often been said the bosch pumps cope very well....
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.