Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 4:31pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Paint codes ??? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Paint codes ???
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Paint codes ???  (Read 1664 times)
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

Paint codes ???
« on: May 19th, 2008, 8:02pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all.Bit of a strange one this.Im currently doing a tidy up job on a 89 granada scorpio.All was going well until i needed to order some toutch up paint for it.The paint colour code on the VIN plate is K9 ! ! .Absolutley everywhere iv,e tried ( & thats quite a few places) dont recognise this code.So now im stuck.All i can tell you is ,it,s a 89 in a medium to dark blue & the code is K9.If anyone can shed some light on my little hiccup id be eternaly gratefull.Thanks in advance.....Craig  Smiley
IP Logged

Lord...Sometimes im not that bright
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

Re: Paint codes ???
« Reply #1 on: May 19th, 2008, 8:15pm »

craig,

heres the info for the mk 4 vin

may help http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/images/vin.gif
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: May 19th, 2008, 8:22pm »

Hi Tonnes. I find this site a good reference for the Jags, look under Ford Europe and colours starting with letters M-Z, your colour code comes up as Tasman Blue Pearl, produced between 1989 and 1993.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Bruce Smiley
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: May 19th, 2008, 8:31pm »

Thanks Bruce.Will try that in the morning.Fingers crossed it might just be right. Wink
IP Logged

Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: May 20th, 2008, 7:10am »

T O F Try THIS site. Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: May 20th, 2008, 5:43pm »

Bruce,you are a star  Smiley.Spot on m8  Wink.Even the local motor factors had 3 tins at the back of the shelf,so i,ve liberated him of those  Grin Grin.A HUGE thank you from me to you......thanks for the link Simmo.I,ve now saved that site should the need ever arise again (lets face it .....it probably will ). Thanks again.....Craig
IP Logged

TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: May 20th, 2008, 7:01pm »

Aye Craig, glad it sorted you mate Wink

I've used these people a few times and they've been good, their site doesn't work on Firefox any more though Undecided

Mike, metallic white? Are you sure it wasn't just a dirty white one? Grin

Sounds like an aftermarket colour to me, white, silver are the only light metallics I know of (well, the white isn't even metallic but still Roll Eyes)..

While we're talking of custom colours, Winter Gold or Roman Bronze would look luvverly on the Scorp IMO Grin Wink

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: May 21st, 2008, 7:44pm »

Okay, turns out there may be several variations of 'diamond white', one of which is definitely a touch on the yellow side. Apparently may apply to 1998 Scorpios.

Another question - has anyone had problems with lacquer and strong sunlight?
IP Logged

Mike H
Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: May 21st, 2008, 9:24pm »

Most dark coloured fords i,ve owned have all had peeling lacquer in one form or another.The only way around it i found is to sand ,re paint & re lacquer the affected areas.If you take your time it,s not as daunting as it sounds.
IP Logged

TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: May 22nd, 2008, 8:10pm »

Hi Mike. Common thing with clearcoat paintwork, you're not alone Wink

My Scorp was starting to skin around the side window trims and edges of some panels by the time we parted company, the bonnet was a mess up close where it used to be parked under a tree and got eaten by the dangly seed things which used to fall from the tree and also the inevitable bird poo Undecided

Heard somewhere that transmisison fluid was the best remedy for clearcoat going chalky...rub it in and leave overnight apparently. But as brake fluid is so kind to paint I was never brave enough to try..

Wet sanding with fine sandpaper and lots of polishing, or even better as Tons said to sand the patches down to the colour coat and respray some lacquer on top.  

Don't use Halfords lacquer, it's a pig to polish back and get a decent finish. Use the stuff you get from the paint websites or the Ford dealer, smells much nicer and highly leathal if you breathe it in but a far better lacquer and polishes back to a far better gloss Grin

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: May 23rd, 2008, 6:26pm »

A quick tip if you are having trouble getting your lacquer to shine is to GENTLY sand it in one direction with 1200 wet & dry paper & copius amounts of water.When the lacquer is slightly cloudy use a cutting compound to bring back the gloss & finish with a good polish.Works everytime for me  Wink
IP Logged

TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: May 23rd, 2008, 8:52pm »

Hi Mike. Yes, modern paint is better, aerosol technology has come a long way too in the past decade. Take your time and you'll be fine, it will look awful until you get to the final stages of polishing the new lacquer back, don't worry about matt patches from the overspray, just get a nice even few coats on and let it cure for a day or two and it'll look great after some elbow grease Smiley

I sent you a PM Wink

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Tons_of_fun

Mmmm...Xena !

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: May 24th, 2008, 5:19pm »

Best of luck m8  Wink.Hope it goes well for you
IP Logged

Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: May 26th, 2008, 10:08pm »

Couldn't find my colour - cuirass blue - against the Scorpio, showed up against a Mondeo though.
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: May 27th, 2008, 7:54pm »

If you guys have original Ford paint, you could try getting it from the dealer, let them know the vin and they can order the correct colour from there. The cans are small and it's not cheap but it's the best quality stuff I've used, as good or better than the custom mixed ones from the net.
IP Logged

Jeff

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: May 29th, 2008, 7:44pm »

on May 22nd, 2008, 12:53am, Mike Holmes wrote:
Yep, I think that is what is going to have to happen. Not unusual then! Started to kick off properly during that hot summer 2006

what's a hot summer?? Tongue
IP Logged

2.9 Cosworth saloon and 2.3 saloon
TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #16 on: Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:17am »

Mike, how long's a piece of string mate? Undecided

The guy who did our Capri back in '95 was near where we lived in London, small bodyshop who (still) has the contract to repair the local ambulances. Slow worker and not cheap but I don't think we realised at the time how good he was, that car was better than new, perfect white paintwork, no orange peel anywhere...he'd even sanded and sprayed all the rusted screws holding the lamps and number plate on. He said it'd last and it has, 10 years in a wet garage and only slight bubbling at the edges of a couple of panels, the paint still shines up like new.

Had the Mondeo touched up by a bodyshop in Dagenham who my cousin recommended, never again Undecided
IP Logged

Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Jun 2nd, 2008, 7:54pm »

Try searching ebay for the paint colour you need - OK, not geniune Ford but there are plenty of sellers doing cans of spray paint for around £3 each. Got to be worth a look.
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.