Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 1st, 2024, 10:23am

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« 2.3 16v Plastic inlet manifold »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   2.3 16v Plastic inlet manifold
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2.3 16v Plastic inlet manifold  (Read 19049 times)
scrappydoo

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Re: 2.3 16v Plastic inlet manifold
« Reply #40 on: Jul 3rd, 2013, 5:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Tompian, I did disconnect it to enable easier movement of the EGR pipe where it enters the inlet manifold.
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #41 on: Jul 3rd, 2013, 6:04pm »

Did it enable easier movement? as there's also a bracket at the back of the engine.

Yes, gasket shown here:
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/images/dohc23egr.gif
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
scrappydoo

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #42 on: Jul 3rd, 2013, 6:16pm »

on Jul 3rd, 2013, 6:04pm, Tompion wrote:
Did it enable easier movement? as there's also a bracket at the back of the engine.

No it didn't really make movement easier but I still managed to move the pipe enough to make removal of inlet easier.

Might do a compression test tomorrow just to rule any of the cylinders out.
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #43 on: Jul 3rd, 2013, 11:43pm »

scrappydoo:

It sounds very much like a vacuum leak if you've got a hiss, usually any misfire caused by a vacuum leak not bad enough to actually stall the engine starts to smooth out if you give it a bit of throttle.

Otherwise, does all the wiring you disturbed look OK? Multiplugs properly seated on both coilpacks and all 4 injectors? Does the wiring around the rear of the cylinder head and near the fuel rail look OK? MAF plug seated correctly?
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #44 on: Jul 7th, 2013, 2:43am »

There is a gasket between the manifold outlet & EGR pipe, if memory serves me correct, it's red with one big hole in the middle & two smaller (bolt) holes either side (No 6 in Tompions last link). I re-used the old gasket & just spread a bit of 'Hermetite Red' gasket sealer on both sides of it & never had any vacuum leak problems  Smiley

Hope this helps  Smiley
IP Logged
scrappydoo

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #45 on: Sep 11th, 2013, 6:07pm »

A belated update and sorry for the boring length of the post!

Discovered hiss to be coming from the rubber end of the breather pipe that fits into the side of the engine under the exhaust manifold. Had to remove exhaust manifold to get at it and found it off though it was split so new one ordered and fitted....before refitting I examined the exhaust manifold and found it to have a crack in it....strange as no noticable noise coming from it only noticed out of chance.

Managed to find a cheap replacement and refitted everything including new gaskets for manifold to head and manifold to cat. Got car on the road and running brilliantly for last few weeks except for a rattle from the cat clamp/bracket and the temp gauge now goes from the middle to low randomly.

For the exhaust rattle I don't think I've fitted the bracket proiperly but I was struggling to get the bolt that tightens the clamp/bracket to adjust properly. Anyone got any tips?

For the temp gauge issue I'm thinking the sender as this was potentially affected when the inlet manfold was replaced.

Just to add insult to injury when taking it for a quick spin the other day the ABVS/Traction Light came on and later the car started running like a right bag of s***e! On investigation with a scanner it came back P0340 cam sensor and C1095 ABS pump.  

Examined cam sensor and found the wires going to the sensor wiring plug had come adrift.....had already completed a repair to the wiring plug with some araldite but this had come astray as it was hot so have affected a temporary repair with some cable ties.

As for ABS pump this is obviously the same code that comes up when the controller circuit board requires soldering but I have already done this repair earlier this year.....could it really fail again so soon after?  Huh
IP Logged
leewar

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #46 on: Sep 11th, 2013, 9:35pm »

I in no way mean anything by this but was the repair done properly. Once re-soldered it should not only be better than the original, but last a lot longer. Wink
IP Logged
scrappydoo

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #47 on: Sep 11th, 2013, 9:45pm »

Maybe I was a bit tight with the solder the first time, will try again! Anyone got any tips on the cat clamp/bracket? I couldn't get the actual bracket/clamp to round off enough to give the actual tightening bolt enough "purchase".
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #48 on: Sep 11th, 2013, 10:41pm »

Check the 30amp fuses to the ABS one of them will give a C1095 code.
I’m only aware of one failure of the dozen or so I’ve soldered but maybe people didn’t like to say Wink
In that case it was because I’d used a new small soldering iron instead of the 50yr old big one I normally use. I think for one of the pins there’s a track on both sides of the board & the heat hadn’t got through to the underside.  
As I’d already cut an extra hole trying to find the problem apart from using more heat I also linked a wire across:

It can be tricky getting the pins clean, I scrape off the clear mastic from the surrounding area with something like a matchstick then I gently close a pin vice onto the pins & revolve it to clean off the old solder until I’m back to clean brass then use something like alcohol to clean the area. I always inspect the solder joints with an eyeglass & redo them if there’s a blowhole or black deposit in the solder – I suspect when this happens it’s some of the clear mastic has remained & contaminated the solder.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
scrappydoo

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #49 on: Sep 15th, 2013, 11:31am »

The light hasn't come on again now for 3 days so I'm going to monitor it. Still got the exhaust clamp/bracket rattling against the cat mind you!
IP Logged
scrappydoo

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #50 on: Jan 6th, 2014, 2:18pm »

Unfortunately the small pipe next to the thermostat housing came off on the M40 last night and has caused the engine to overheat and seize!  Sad

Looks like it's going to the scrapyard in the sky sadly  Cry
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.