Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 4:29pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Steering wheel seems locked »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Steering wheel seems locked
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Steering wheel seems locked  (Read 870 times)
Sam49

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Steering wheel seems locked
« on: May 31st, 2008, 1:33pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hope someone can help we recently had some problems with our alternator, we are currently in the process of changing it, but after the battery went dead the steering wheel seems locked it wont budge. We charged it and it moved but then its locked up again. Does the steering wheel lock when the battery is dead?Any help would be appreciated
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

Re: Steering wheel seems locked
« Reply #1 on: May 31st, 2008, 4:27pm »

I had this problem some time ago and its down to a worn IGNITION LOCK and KEY .. IF you can get it to position 1 with some fiddeling then I suggest you remove the lock and replace it ASAP ..... Really easy job to do.  
Try pulling the wheel or pushing clockwise/anticlockwise  it when trying to get the lock to release ...
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Sam49

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: May 31st, 2008, 4:28pm »

Thanks for getting back to me. It seems we have a problem with the ignition lock or barrelHuh (are they the same thing) So I was wondering if anyone knows where to get one for the FORD SCORPIO ULTIMA 24V AUTO 1996 thanks
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: May 31st, 2008, 4:31pm »

FMD is the place or from ford parts uk by post ....

See HERE FOR LOCKS and ford parts is here http://www.fordpartsuk.com/
IP Logged

Sam49

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: May 31st, 2008, 4:35pm »

Thanks for getting back to me, whats Fmd? I looked at fordpartsuk but couldn't find the ignition barrel or lock
Thanks again
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: May 31st, 2008, 5:59pm »

FMD = Ford Main Dealer. Any Ford dealer will supply you with a kit to renew the ignition lock. The main thing is to do it BEFORE you can no longer turn the key in the lock to Position 1. It needs to be in that position to allow you to press in a small  plunger which then releases the barrel in order to replace the segments. If you leave it brute force is the only option and not to be recommended.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Sam49

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: May 31st, 2008, 6:35pm »

Thanks for the reply, I'm not sure but think we might already have messed it up. The problem is we know absolutely nothing about cars and the scorpio has been a headache since the day we got it .Is it the ignition barrel and key that we need? I looked on a website called 1st choice spares and a company called BELLS AUTO SPARES LTD is selling a used one for £30 including delivery. I'm abit reluctant to buy though as we just had a bad experience buying an alternator from one of these kind of places, they refunded but it was such a waste of time and was very disappointing.
Thanks again
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Jun 1st, 2008, 7:13am »

Where in the country are you ? Area wil do not address. SOmeone near to you might be able to help, and telephone Trevor Porter at Ford Parts or he will help you just send hin the chassis nuber of your car in an email and tell himyou need an ignition lock kit and thats about it should arrive in a day or two .
IP Logged

Sam49

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jun 1st, 2008, 12:16pm »

Thanks for all your help, we are in north west london near Archway. Does Trevor Porter sell ignition locks ready made or only the kits?Thanks again
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Jun 1st, 2008, 3:52pm »

Sells the kits and the comlete lock but you willl need a new key and get the new key programmed to the car ..  

Building a lock from the kit is really easy to do .. ANY FMD will read your Key for you and tell you what the number is if you are unable to do it your self.

If you don't try then you will never get to grips with the Scorpio .
IP Logged

Sam49

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Jun 1st, 2008, 5:15pm »

So if I understand correctly, there is a number on the key, you then read that to the place you are getting the barrel from they create the lock based on this number, but then you still need a new key? Thanks for all the help
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Jun 1st, 2008, 8:45pm »

Read THIS page and it will explain about 'reading' the key. The principle is the same as for the ignition lock. Unless the key is badly worn the dealer will 'read' the number which then enables you to build the lock to match the key. The kit contains an assortment of 'wafers' which are individually numbered.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:30am »

Sam, not been here myself and someone will correct me if I'm wrong but the way I understand it is that your key has a 4 digit keycode which you can read from the indents on the key. You can then rebuild a lock with the kit to fit your key.

You can also get new keys cut to your keycode but you'd need to program them with an existing key for it to start the car.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Sam49

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Jun 2nd, 2008, 3:47pm »

Thanks for all the replies as I am finding the situation rather confusing. Can I read the key myself, or does it have to be a ford person. I think I understand about the assorted wafers bit its just the reading part thats worrying me as well as the exact terminology of what I need, is it the ignition barrel or ignition lock?
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Jun 2nd, 2008, 3:58pm »

If you go to your local FMD and tell them you want a rebuild kit for the ignition lock and would they read your key for you they will oblige. If you have any doubts copy off the page which Snoopy put up showing the procedure and take that with you.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Sam49

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Jun 4th, 2008, 1:53pm »

Thanks for all your help.We had the mechanic change the barrel and he also got a new key. He has taped the old key to the new key, I think so that the car still receives the signal from the old key.Thanks again everybody
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Jun 4th, 2008, 2:58pm »

Good to hear that you are sorted. The usual 'dodge' is to tape the old key close to the ignition switch under the cover.  Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.