Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 4:37pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Heater blower problem »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Heater blower problem
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Heater blower problem  (Read 453 times)
RickLewis

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Heater blower problem
« on: Jun 9th, 2008, 12:33am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Here's another Scorpio problem I have at the moment. Thanks in advance to anyone with any good advice.

The heater blower started malfunctioning a couple of weeks back. Whenever the ignition was on, so was the heater blower, and always at approximately the same speed (ie more or less full on) regardless of how I twiddled the heater controls.

Last week I took it to a local garage and they thought it was a problem with the rheostat. They got a new one from Ford (£150 for the part) and fitted it but then found that with the new part installed, the heater blower didn't work at all. So now they want to take out my dashboard to carry on tracking down the problem.

They are pretty sure there is a problem with the old rheostat (resistance didn't vary as they changed the setting) but they aren't sure if the new part is faulty or not. To me it seems like an odd coincidence to have 2 simultaneous problems with the blower (ie faulty rheostat and something else at the same time) so I'm doubtful about letting them dismantle half the car in search of a wiring problem. Any inspirations, anyone?   Huh
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

Re: Heater blower problem
« Reply #1 on: Jun 9th, 2008, 6:53am »

hi there

you don't state what model scorpio you have, but if it doesn't have climate control, it could be this.... http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/acthermalfuse.htm

if you have climate control, have you check the ribbon connection on the back of 'face panel' to the satc unit and then done a reset? http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/ccreset.htm

hth
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jun 9th, 2008, 6:56am »

Read THIS page and identify which system you have. Climate control or Air Con. If it is Climate Control you can do a re-set procedure. Look at the 'buttons' on the left of the page and  select CC reset(if you have it).  Next look at Test The HBC- Heater Blower Control- and try that. Then go to A/C thermal fuse and look at that page.  Oh- and by the way- stay away from the garage until you've been back here a few more times unless you have a large wallet. Cheesy
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jun 9th, 2008, 6:57am »

Morning Andrew.... I see you can post quicker than me !!.  Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 9th, 2008, 6:59am »

hi mike

you need to quick in this game!!! ROFL

you can take your time now, i'm away to work now.

andrew
IP Logged
harry.m1byt

What's YaBB?

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jun 11th, 2008, 12:05am »

Yep, keep away from the garage Grin

None of the Scorp models use a rheostat as such.... Rheostat is the word used to describe a high current version of a potentiometer or variable resistor, the actual fan current would pass directly through that rheostat and its speed controlled directly by it - as used to be done in the days of the moggie minor.  

The CC (Climate Control) version uses a potentiomer to provide a resistance value to the CC computer, which then controls the HBC and the HBC subsequently controls the fan motor's speed. The HBC is a common point of failure, as it tends to overheat and burn itself out due to poor heatsinking. If memory serves, the HBC is mounted in the heater box accessed under the bonnet below the wipers. Search the site for 'HBC'.

If it is the none CC type, then the fan speed uses three or four switched speeds. The switch simply inserts a wire wound resistor in series with the fan motor. This resistor can also be a common cause of problems and is mounted in a similar location to the HBC.
IP Logged

August '95 2.9 12v auto Ultima -
Now flashing Smiley
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.