Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 4:28pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« New poster, old wiring loom. »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   New poster, old wiring loom.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New poster, old wiring loom.  (Read 1291 times)
TimH

New to Scorpios, old to everything else.

View Profile WWW

New poster, old wiring loom.
« on: Jun 13th, 2008, 10:54am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello all,
I've had my 2.3 Estate since Christmas, and I love it to bits; considering how much I shelled out for it, it's certainly more car for the money than I'm used to.
It stuttered on light acceleration from the beginning, but I decided I could live with it and simply developed a light-footed approach to driving which probably was no bad thing anyway. The seller's explanation for the fault were obviously pure moonshine, but at that price I wasn't overly fussed, and it hasn't got any worse.
With the MOT looming, I decided to check it out and as expected the last stretch of loom on the cylinder head had no insulation at all to speak of. (They were also actually taped together, which seemed odd. I'm no electrician but I would have thought it better to tape them apart.) I taped them up as well as possible, but it's obviously only temporary.
Now the questions part:
Trying to avoid the alphabet-soup (OBD, EGF, MAF etc) are my emissions likely to be all over the place because of it? What's the likelihood I will have fried the electrics further along the line ? And most importantl, how practical is it really to try replacing it myself?
The page on the site makes it sound as if you could do it in twenty minutes while eating a sandwich. (As long as you've got long arms, apparently)
Everyone in the garage I discussed it with went a strange pale colour when I asked them, and suggested I'd have to sell a kidney to pay for it. It seemed to involve dismantling everything forward of the tow-bar, and moving the engine; possibly to another borough. To be fair, none of them looked more than fifteen, so maybe it was all a bit new to them.
I imagine that the truth is somewhere in between; is there anyone out there who can either encourage me, or alternately, warn me off ?  
Regards,
Tim.
(And where can I get one, incidentally ?)
IP Logged

Hey ho. So it goes.
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

Re: New poster, old wiring loom.
« Reply #1 on: Jun 13th, 2008, 12:23pm »

hi there

changing the fuel cut off loom does look easy( Wink), getting one might be harder!

as most things on the scorpio, they're getting harder to find. try fordpartsuk.com for one.

your emissions shouldn't be affected as long as the car is running ok.

hth

IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 13th, 2008, 8:57pm »

TimH.
There is nothing wrong with dismantling the loom and thoroughly taping every wire seperately.I have done this on several of my Scorpio funeral cars as the earlier models had a very poor type of insulation and just fell to bits.It is a time consuming operation,and obviously the loom ends up a bit thicker owing to the tape.Determination and patience is all you need.
      Good luck GOZZ.
IP Logged
cossie_al

Ex 24v

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jun 14th, 2008, 8:41am »

If I were to take the time to dimantle everything, I would cut out the lengths of wire with no insulation and solder in new lengths using good quality heat shrink tubing. (the glue lined stuff is best)
If you do it one wire at a time and stagger the joints then you wont end up with a large clump where all the soldered ends are.
Its one of those jobs where you want no distractions a full box of cigarettes and plenty of coffee.
Forgot to mention,
When I had my 24v I was going to get an old loom and completely rebuild or copy it wire by wire then it would have been a case of just replacing old for new.
There was an indepth conversation about this last year if I remember correctly.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.