Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 11:24am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Hidden GOLD in late-97 TD stw »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Hidden GOLD in late-97 TD stw
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hidden GOLD in late-97 TD stw  (Read 2197 times)
pappa

VM Diesel 2.5Tdi 90kW

View Profile

Hidden GOLD in late-97 TD stw
« on: Jul 10th, 2008, 7:39am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Some time ago I bought a poorly equipped, but a Ghia spec Diesel Scorps. I've been improving it a bit, adding electric chair and fixing many little things that were wrong with it. Then a hailstorm destroyd the bodywork and it's now queued to insurance inspection, but that's another story...

The Hidden Gold No #1

I was adding a diesel power module into my car and was looking for a good place to put an on/off switch for it. Looked under the driver side footwell, because there was NO computer in the car and of course NO Mode/S/R buttons either. I found out there was a plug for the computer Mode/S/R hanging inside the fascia! That made me suspect that the computer could be possibly make to work, but there was NO display in the speedometer.  

I decided to take out the instrument panel and have closer look at it. So I did and to my happy surprise, there was a plug in the speedo for the computer display! So I went on and dismantled my under breaking Cossies speedo, took the LCD panel from there and plugged it in, cut a hole for the LCD panel and... At this point the project took another direction... I decided to make the speedo background white... But anyway the point is that when I put all things together again, I now have a working fuelcomputer with all the nice features!

Some pics:
http://frogrider.net/images/speedo_v1_under_cons.jpg
http://frogrider.net/images/speedo_v1_testing.jpg
http://frogrider.net/images/speedo_v3.jpg

Edit: The V1 shows a Cossie SPPEDO background. This was the very first pahes of testing...

The first versions did not let blinkers and warning lights through properly in daylight, so I had to settle for the V3. Now planning on V4...

The Hidden Gold No #2

The stereo did not have the steering wheel column remote in it. Again, further investigations lead to finding a plug for it and the "under breaking Cossie" had to part with the stereo remote switch Smiley  

Other hidden GOLD probably exist and awaits for the next time I take the beast into pieces.
 Grin

Sorry about the length of this story.
IP Logged

My cars are the best and the pigs and cows fly.
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

Re: Hidden GOLD in late-97 TD stw
« Reply #1 on: Jul 10th, 2008, 9:00am »

pappa.
You are indeed a patient and persistent fellow,well done !
       GOZZ.
IP Logged
pappa

VM Diesel 2.5Tdi 90kW

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jul 10th, 2008, 9:07am »

Uh... Thanks Smiley

You're right, it needs quite a lot of patience. The fascia is not the thing you'd like to go on taking out and putting back many times in a day.  Grin

I did that  four times over and need to do at least once more. The fuel gauge is not showing right, I need to take out the needle and put it back on into correct position. YAWN!  

My speedo btw is now spot on, not showing the typical 10km/h too much!  Grin
IP Logged

joe-satch

joe satriani is the best guitarist in the world.

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jul 10th, 2008, 5:40pm »

very nice indeed...well done. Smiley.
IP Logged
pappa

VM Diesel 2.5Tdi 90kW

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jul 11th, 2008, 7:04am »

If anyone's interested on how the white background was done, it's very simple. I dismantled the speedo into pieces, removed the black background (it's a plastic, thick sticker), scanned them into my computer and then made the colors negative with a photoshop software. Then painted all the black readings to light grey, added a light green drop shadow into them. Then some more fixing and fine tuning of the colors etc. and print it out, glue it on the original black background and put all back together again. Oh - I did use some transparent self adhesive film on the gauges, but it does not look good.  

If someone's interested in doing it I can drop scanned images somewhere on to my site for download.
16v and 24v uses the same background, but Diesel is different. I think I've got them all. The files are huge.
IP Logged

Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jul 11th, 2008, 8:52am »

Hi well done, a very smart modification and you are breaking new ground.

Presumably the diesel VSS provides sufficient data so that the computer functions work fine. I notice that you have what is a very rare steering wheel over here and it is complet with cruise control, does your Ghia diesel have cruise?
IP Logged

The winding road goes on and on... or at least it does in Northumberland
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 11th, 2008, 1:41pm »

on Jul 11th, 2008, 8:52am, Geoff_W wrote:
I notice that you have what is a very rare steering wheel over here and it is complet with cruise control, does your Ghia diesel have cruise?

Plenty about Geoff Wink

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=360066 074812&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=023
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

pappa

VM Diesel 2.5Tdi 90kW

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jul 12th, 2008, 9:49am »

Hi ya.

Yes it has a cruise control. Very good to have and works extremely well.
IP Logged

dead-goon

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jul 12th, 2008, 8:53pm »

That white background is pretty horrible like.
I wonder why Ford didn't bother putting the fuel computer in the TDs.
They're quite thirsty when driven hard, so a fuel computer would help people drive a bit more economically...
Weirdly I saw a TD estate in a scrapyard with a fuel computer control panel, but no LCD. Huh
IP Logged
pappa

VM Diesel 2.5Tdi 90kW

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jul 13th, 2008, 7:22pm »

Taste's are plenty, I like white background, but I'm not yet happy with mine. But I will be, that's for sure.  Grin

To my opinion, anything driven hard is thirsty. A friend of mine has Skoda Octavia Diesel RS, 5.7litres per 100km  under normal driving and going up to 9-10 etc. if driven hard. (It's not bad though). My granny drank 10.5 litres per 100km and I thought it was very good for a 195bhp V6 auto. And I was not usually too careful with the pedal.

Many opinions roam about and they're all equal.

Grin
IP Logged

pappa

VM Diesel 2.5Tdi 90kW

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Jul 16th, 2008, 12:22pm »

Hidden Gold No #3
(Fools gold)

There is a LIVE plugin for the TCS in the car, but there's definately NO TCS in it.  
The car seems to be a funny mixture of stuff. There's electricity for the drivers seat (no memory seating unfortunately), but not for the passenger. I had to take current from the cigarette lighter for that.  

Has anyone information was there ever  TCS for a manual tranmission? (I think not). I'm not expecting to get it working  because it would need a totally different ABS system to begin with, but just out of curiosity.
IP Logged

Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Jul 16th, 2008, 11:57pm »

Did you buy that Stuart?
IP Logged

The winding road goes on and on... or at least it does in Northumberland
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Jul 17th, 2008, 9:47am »

Within the first hour!! Wink
IP Logged

pappa

VM Diesel 2.5Tdi 90kW

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Jul 17th, 2008, 9:51am »

Get out of here! You're chatting in my thread!

Grin
IP Logged

Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: Jul 17th, 2008, 10:01am »

He started it!!  Grin
In fact no, you started it!!  Grin

found anything else in that diesel??  
I'm going to have a shot at the fuel computer one myself..
IP Logged

pappa

VM Diesel 2.5Tdi 90kW

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Jul 17th, 2008, 10:15am »

Well.. ok, I admit to that, I started it Cheesy

Haven't been poking around it after yesterday anymore, so no more hidden gold until next time I have to strip it down. Took it to the paintshop today to get an estimate for the insurance company for the hailstorm damages. They said that the paintjob already goes close to 3000e So it may be that they want to write it off.  

I'm not willing to give it up, these good diesels are quite rare nowadays. I'm kind of hoping that they would make me a good compensation for the damages and let me fix what I want and how I want.

What I would like to get into the car is the mirrors tilting down when I stick it into reverse. Do you Stuart happen to know can it be achieved by swapping the control unit in the doors? I've got ones from the -96 dead Cossie.
IP Logged

Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #16 on: Jul 17th, 2008, 10:31am »

Hmmm not sure of that one, I suspect theres more to it than that as there has to be signal coming from the reversing switch somewhere but its worth a go.
IP Logged

mijfife

View Profile Email

« Reply #17 on: Jul 20th, 2008, 9:07pm »

I'd quite fancy doing the computer upgrade too, especially as I've still got the dash & switch from the 2.3 I broke. The only question I have is that mine doesn't have the electronic injector pump like the late 97 model would have, do you think it would still work?  
Well done on the white dash mod Pappa, not really my thing but you've certainly put a lot of work into it and if we all had the same tastes, life would be very dull   Wink

Cheers Jim
IP Logged

'96 2.5TD Ultima estate running on veg oil!
pappa

VM Diesel 2.5Tdi 90kW

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Jul 20th, 2008, 10:00pm »

Thanks mate, I've gone back to black speedo again, wasn't quite happy with that version, so another one is on the drawing board.

This is my first diesel, I haven't got a faintest idea would the computer work in your car. You can start by having a look under the driverside footwell where the computer Mode switch should be located. If you have the plug for the computer mode switch (it's a small blue plug) then you may have chance. The next thing then would be to boldly go and remove the speedo. If it has a plug for the computer, then you're half way there! This is the route I took. Not all the Scorpios, especially the last ones out from the owen, are the same. They seem to vary a lot. I have a 2.3 speedo too, and it does not have the plug for the computer display. Many variants roam about mate.  Huh
IP Logged

mijfife

View Profile Email

« Reply #19 on: Jul 20th, 2008, 10:23pm »

Thanks pappa, I've had the dash out a couple of times, in fact I changed the entire facia when I put the pumice leather interior in and it wasn't that bad a job to be honest. I know I've got the blue plug and when I plug my switch unit in I get a 'bing' when I press the mode button  Smiley I'll need to have a look at the dash later, much more important jobs needing done before it's mot in December first!  Roll Eyes I just wondered if the computer took a signal from the fuel pump or from the ECU to do it's calculations.
Cheers Jim
IP Logged

'96 2.5TD Ultima estate running on veg oil!
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.