Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 1:15pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Jag info anyone? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Jag info anyone?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Jag info anyone?  (Read 1138 times)
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

Jag info anyone?
« on: Jul 16th, 2008, 8:05pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Dilemna... Undecided

I am at present looking at a nice 2ltr v6 xtype Jag, possible replacement for my scorp Lips Sealed
It is on a 02 plate with low mileage and one previous.

It looks a stunner and I could be tempted at about 5K.

The only thing is, my Scorp has developed the whining Aircon syndrom again so it means another spell in dock, I feel so obligated to the Scorp because of a deep love that has developed over the years I have owned them.

Can anyone give any words of comfort, persuasion, or sympathy.... Cheesy What do I do? I could be tempted but don't really want to let my Scorp down..... Cry

HELP! SOMEONE
PLEASE
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

Re: Jag info anyone?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 16th, 2008, 9:40pm »

Take the Jag, too good a price if its a good one
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jul 17th, 2008, 3:17am »

Let me help you out a bit Pete  Wink

The X-Type isn't a real Jag, it's a Mondeo with different shaped panels  Roll Eyes....the inside in my opinion is essentially a re-styled MK3 Mondeo.....with the rear legroom of a MK1/2 Mondeo & the same very shallow rear seat & although I've never sat in one, I'm informed (by someone that did own one) that the seats are absolutely rock solid (like the MK3 Mondeo) & don't even compare to the comfort of the Scorp.

You probably couldn't fit your little finger in the engine bay...so you'd have to throw all those tools away that you've been collecting for years  Sad

I'll bet that there is as much nasty hard plastic inside as a MK3 Mondeo  Roll Eyes

The wheels aren't as nice & the tyres aren't as fat  Wink

£5000 for a 02 reg, 2.0 V6 Jag  Huh......unless the mileage is really low, then the price is a bit steep. They don't hold their value, Jags never have done, even if it's a Ford manufactured X-Type  Wink

Why bother with the 2.0 when you can buy a 2.5 V6 (0-60 in 8.5 secs) with between 60-90K on the clock for anything between £3000 - £5000 on Autotrader  Smiley

There is also a chance that someone may mistake it for a Rover 75, being that there is an obvious similarity between the two  Roll Eyes

One last thing....what happened to the infamous & prestigious ornament that has always adorned the bonnet of a Jag ?....it seems to have dissapeared  Undecided

I'm sure the X-Type has alot of good points though  Wink

Good luck Pete  Smiley
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jul 17th, 2008, 6:50am »

A  former Scorpio owner bought one of these and he regarded it as totally inferior to his old Scorp. He spoke, as JC has, about the low level of comfort,seat adjustment etc. It was only the demise of his Scorp that forced a change but he was never really happy with the Jag.  Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
pete from Hull

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 17th, 2008, 7:46am »

This is the beast.... 53 000 miles

http://www.rightcar.co.uk/search.php  

EDIT Sorry it doesn't link direct to the car, you have to put in Jaguar and X type to view it

Right chaps, Thanks for the comments so far, Jc I suspected that the car was maybe a non starter for me and your helpfull coments have given me a shake.... Cheesy

I have decided to go for the testdrive I booked just to satisfy the curiosity.  i have driven the original "TRUE" Jags in the past including the T.O.R Daimler and I was impressed.

The point about the room under the bonnet.... Yes I agree, not a lot of self mechanicing to be done there maybe.

Mondeo... Yeh I can see where the possibilty of similarity comes from being manufactured by Ford, Reallity suggests that Ford should not have been involved, maybe it WAS the end of Jag, and I notice they have or are pulling out and selling it again, maybe time to bury the Jags after all.

Simmo, Was it Tiberious who included comments about his Jag in his posts  Grin I always thought how he sounded very positive about them. but maybe tat was just to comfort himself after making the change... Grin Grin

The comfort factor is a big issue and that is what would cause my dilemna to continue what ever I bought as I have NEVER been able to match the comfort of my Scorp.

It is a tough task to make a decision.... Do I spend loads of money on my present car, if I do, how far can I go, I often said that I would have liked to build a New Scorpio...  Huh I wonder how much it would cost and how many new parts you could get bearing in mind the speedy depletion of stocks and the astronomical prices charged for them.... alas i think it would be a non starter.

Well, Back down to earth now for me, I will go and have my test drive with the echo of the words of wisdom gleaned from your comments.... I really am greatfull for your time and input..... I will keep you posted on my resulting opinions..... Wink

Thanks again...

pete

IP Logged

martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jul 17th, 2008, 8:53am »

X type are very nice, though the 2.0 is very under powered, yes very close to a Mondeo, but still a Jag. closest to a Scorp that I found was an S type, I now have a 400bhp S-type R, its great, now converted to LPG, at present dosent seem to use a lot more fuel than any of my previous 24vs, a standard 4.2se can be picked up for less than 6k, the bigger engine models have certainly dropped in price the last 3-4 months, the have a very high equipment level, & as I said the only thing I found close to the old scorp. and its RWD.
IP Logged

Rally Drivers Do It Sideways
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 17th, 2008, 8:58am »

If you are TALL person then you will find the Jag quite uncomfortable. I have tried ALL versions of the jaguar and found I was unable to fit in them with any degree of comfort.  
The reliabilty of the xtype is NOT as good as it could be and as previously sated forget working on it yourself .

It is a Mondeo in a differnt form with a differnt engine ! IMHO .

Good luck Wink
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
pappa

VM Diesel 2.5Tdi 90kW

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jul 17th, 2008, 10:30am »

How about a Mercedes that does not exist? I saw one today and I'm not drunk (well at least today) Cheesy

The engine is 7.0 L V12, the car was built by AMG for someone whose name cannot be found. Two in the world. One somewhere, nobody is going to tell you where and one now in Finland!. Handmade leather interior, 535bhp, 730nm, top speed 300km/h, parking/distance sensors in front, corners and back of the car. bi-xenon headlights, beats a Porsche Carrera in 0-100km/h even though it weighs around 3tons... Every imaginable gadget in the car, even an emergency rocket! 80thousand kilometers on the clock.

And if you call Mercedes about it, it does not exist.
IP Logged

My cars are the best and the pigs and cows fly.
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jul 17th, 2008, 11:17am »

Pete, no the chap I spoke to was not on this site. He actually worked at the 'scrappy' I use so was pretty familiar with all types. His main beef was that the comfort was nowhere near that of the Scorp.  Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jul 17th, 2008, 3:28pm »

£5k will keep you in Scorpios and spare parts for a quite a while  Grin
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
pete from Hull

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Jul 17th, 2008, 3:49pm »

Ha Ha Ha Pappa,

You didn' offer enough money for it,,, Grin

I thought of Mercs but I think they have probably allways been overated, the last one Itravelled in about 3 years ago was the 52K diesel automatic something or other model, (Brand New) the seats reminded me of deck chairs.... but shift? cor, it gave you neck ache trying to keep your head streight.

Simmo, thanks for that, working in scrappies gains more knowledge about more cars than if you worked for main dealers etc, it covers all makes, models and all aspects, I worked in a scrapyard for about 16 months back in the late seventies.... We used to scrap Granadas and Consuls in minutes for the local taxilads... Fun!

Right this Jag business....

Went to the place in good time, waited 10 minutes for the salesman, just about to leave and he shows up.... excuses for not getting the car ready....
I told him that I had had a change of heart and had decided not to proceed, you chaps helped make up my mind...
I am now looking higher, Spec wise I think I may have found a substitute.... I hold my breath....

2005 Audi A8 4.2 Quattro LWB 4 door TIP

AUDI A8 4.2 Quattro LWB 4dr Tip Auto
*LPG/ GAS CONVERTED** *LPG/ GAS CONVERTED** *LPG/ GAS CONVERTED** *LPG/ GAS CONVERTED** *LPG/ GAS CONVERTED** *LPG/ GAS CONVERTED** *LPG/ GAS CONVERTED** *LPG/ GAS CONVERTED** *LPG/ GAS CONVERTED** *LPG/ GAS CONVERTED** *LPG/ GAS CONVERTED** *LPG/ GAS CONVERTED** *LPG/ GAS CONVERTED** *LPG/ GAS CONVERTED**
, 4 Doors, Automatic, Saloon, Petrol, 2005 05 Reg , BLACK. ABS, Climate Control, Computer, Cruise control, Driver airbag, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Electrically adjustable seats, Headlight washers, Heated seats, Leather seats, Lumbar support, Immobiliser, Navigation system, Park distance control, Passenger airbag, Rear armrest, Remote locking, Radio/CD Multichanger, Traction control, Adjustable seats, Air conditioning, Anti theft system, CD, CD Multichanger, Central locking, Colour coding - Interior, DVD, Metallic paintwork, Self levelling suspension, Wood/wood effect trim, Full Service History. Insurance Group:19, Comes with 20" Audi S8 Alloys, with 4 brand new tyres, THIS HAS TO BE THE CHEAPEST 05 PLATE AUDI A8 4.2 LWB DUAL FUEL GAS CONVERTED AUDI, This vehicle comes with every concievable extra, Including, TV, Sat Nav, DVD Player, Full Black Nappa LEather, MASSAGING FRONT & REAR ELECTRIC SEATS, Just had a £2500 Latest PRINS Lpg Kit Fitted, with the 100ltr Gas Tank, £40 fuel gives you THREE HUNDRED miles, very very economical, this vehicle is fully loaded, it is very hard to find one with this spec, looks and drives like new, 1 Owner with Full Main Dealer Audi Service History, BEAT THE PETROL PRICES, with this LPG converted Audi,

This car looks the business and note the Gas conversion already installed clenches it.... I am going to look at it on Saturday down at Slough....

The only thing it seems to lack is a towbar,  I may be able to adjust that when we discuss the 16K price tag...

I will look forward to my first Massage..... Grin Grin Grin

Thanks for your help again guys and keep watching here.... Wink

Pete
IP Logged

pete from Hull

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Jul 17th, 2008, 3:58pm »

on Jul 17th, 2008, 3:28pm, Scorpio_Mike wrote:
£5k will keep you in Scorpios and spare parts for a quite a while  Grin

I know Mike, honest....  Undecided Trouble is I am suffering more and more because of Arthur, and riving about under scorps is playing havoc, so I have to make the decision and take the plunge, it's like going for a dental appointment.... Ouch!  Cry Cry
IP Logged

pete from Hull

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Jul 22nd, 2008, 3:34pm »

on Jul 17th, 2008, 3:49pm, peteHull wrote:

I am now looking higher, Spec wise I think I may have found a substitute.... I hold my breath....

I have found the solution to the burning question, Guess what it will be and I will reveal it soon..... Grin

Meanwhile consider my other posts in cars for sale and parts for sale..... A clearout is imminent  Huh

Pete
IP Logged

taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Jul 24th, 2008, 11:15pm »

if you need jag info etc speak to steve or chris lucas at kent jag centre in knockholt (01959 533305 / 533312), they deal in new, recon and second hand spares as well as repairs etc, they also know what cars are on the market....
IP Logged

TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Aug 14th, 2008, 10:23pm »

on Jul 17th, 2008, 7:46am, peteHull wrote:
Was it Tiberious who included comments about his Jag in his posts  Grin I always thought how he sounded very positive about them. but maybe tat was just to comfort himself after making the change... Grin Grin

Hello Pete, just spent the last 2 hours reading through posts to catch up. Looks like I'm a bit late as you've already got the Beemer but as you quoted me... Wink

Don't touch the X, I was seriously thinking of replacing the Mondeo with one (can't afford it but still) and oh my, what a poor little car, even in SE trim Sad

Snoopy's right, I'm 6ft and almost touch the roof/bang my knees getting out. Very comfortable driving position even with the sports seats but very low to get in/out of, you pay for the low roofline. Now you know why all Jag drivers have humpty backs Wink

Mine is more of a hobby car, used at weekends/nice weather etc and bear in mind it's 13 years old now so will need some routine servicing to keep it reliable (in the past year done the lambdas, injectors, plugs, fuel pump/reg, ABS, hoses, brakes, all oil/filters, auto sump/fluid, + a lot more), quite some cost there if you need a garage to crawl underneath for you.

Reasonably brisk, handles well, comfortable, well built and can nudge 30mpg if I'm gentle...will definitely go in for another but it depends what you're looking for.

Jon, hood ornaments are now against EU safety regulations, you can fit spring loaded ones but it's illegal for the dealer to fit them to new cars and on paper it's an offence anyway so if you fitted one to your own car a copper could still pull you over it. Not sure how Merc get away with it but still, that's why they don't fit 'em anymore..

Hope this helps Wink
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
pete from Hull

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Aug 15th, 2008, 2:37pm »

Thanks for the comments Tib, I certainly wasn't impressed with the X on the second look and with sitting in it, I agree about the lack of roominess too.  

Cool Diyeknow, I love this Beemer,  Grin i have had it now for about 3 weeks and the only thing I don't like about it is the way the mirrors fold upwards,   Sad (looks stupid and inviting to vandals) but I won't be using that facility anyway so it don't matter.  Roll Eyes
I'm off up to Scotland tomorrow  Grin with Caravan in tow so that will be the acid test.... Roll Eyes Wink Grin

Back in a couple of weeks all...... ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

Pete
IP Logged

scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #16 on: Aug 15th, 2008, 2:48pm »

hi there

i'll keep an eye out for you!

i'll be undercover.... in a civic or galaxy. Roll Eyes

IP Logged
pete from Hull

View Profile Email

« Reply #17 on: Aug 15th, 2008, 4:14pm »

Grin

Right, it's all look outs for civics and galaxies then,  Roll Eyes I think I should take the Scorpio sticker out of the car and put it in the beemer, that'll confuse some wouldn'd it?  ROFL ROFL ROFL

pete
IP Logged

TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #18 on: Aug 15th, 2008, 7:12pm »

Ello Pete, have a good one Smiley

Folded Beemer mirrors are strange, look like razor blades to me...not sure why Tongue. But come in very handy in car parks and narrow lanes, especially with a big motah. One feature the Scorp was badly missing, had mine done twice while parked Sad
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.