Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 3:21pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Improved DIESEL driveability »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Improved DIESEL driveability
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Improved DIESEL driveability  (Read 438 times)
pappa

VM Diesel 2.5Tdi 90kW

View Profile

Improved DIESEL driveability
« on: Jul 25th, 2008, 1:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi guys/gals!

Just this morning finished up maintaining my Diesel Estate. I swapped the front suspension from a Cossie donator into it and at the same go swapped the front stabilazer bar from a 16V. Funny, but the original stabilazer bar looks like it's the same as in the 24V. Only I think it is a wee bit thinner than 24v one or 16V one. I compared it to the 16V bar and my lousy nearsight told me that that's the case.  

Any way, the original reason for a stabilazer swap was the hunch that it was too close to the engine bottom to begin with. I think I occassionally heard a GROWL! from the engine room when releasing the clutch. I think I was right, the GROWL vanished.

The driveability also changed from good to excellent. I do not know for sure if the springs in Diesel and Cossie are different, but I have feeling that they might be, Cossie being a bit stiffer. Anyone with solid data on this one?

Would have changed the brake discs to Cossie discs, but it was not a "change the caliber mountings and go" job. The caliber bolt holes are at wider distance from each other than in the Cossie brakes. Would need to change the calibers as well, buit I did not want to go on doing that today.  

It's a beauty to drive now. Next thing coming up is the rear wheel bearings! Woes are being heard from the back and it's not a cat nor dog. Also I've already been there with my late Cossie, so I have two rear wheel hubs and sets of bearings at local garage waiting to be put on Smiley

Once again a long story, soon I will be banned...
 Grin
IP Logged

My cars are the best and the pigs and cows fly.
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

Re: Improved DIESEL driveability
« Reply #1 on: Jul 25th, 2008, 11:04pm »

As far as i'm aware the diesel and the 24v use the same front springs/struts
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

pappa

VM Diesel 2.5Tdi 90kW

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jul 26th, 2008, 4:13pm »

ok, they certainly look if they were the same, but the car is handling a lot better and responses to the bumps in much sophisticated matter. So it was a happy swap anyway Smiley
Maybe the previous owner has been even fatter than I am and worn out the springs / shock absorbers Wink

IP Logged

taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jul 26th, 2008, 10:44pm »

the front springs/shocks are the same (springs being purple coded) on the td and cossie due to the weight of the diesel engine and the increased performance of the cossie. however, they are still c**p on the td and the springs quite commonly snap.....crackle......then defineately pop. the cossie does use larger discs which is why the caliper mounts are different, but i have to say i find the td brakes more than adequate. dont mention rear wheel bearings.............another diabolical ford weak spot............. Roll Eyes
IP Logged

pappa

VM Diesel 2.5Tdi 90kW

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jul 27th, 2008, 6:12am »

Yes I agree, the brakes are quite good and the only improvement in cossie discs is the size. They cool off a bit better - at least in theory Wink
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.