Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 11:29pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« heater blower wiring »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   heater blower wiring
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: heater blower wiring  (Read 523 times)
scorpio197

FORD = Fix Or Repair Daily or Found On Rubish Dump

sdavid376
View Profile

heater blower wiring
« on: Jul 28th, 2008, 7:59pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on saturday the heater blower resister on my scorpio 2.3 auto 1998 ,had a little fire .I have got myself a new resister.the four pin multi plug is ok ,its the other one that burned .I have trimed the three wires and put new spade conectors on .But even after looking at the wiring diagram on the work shop manual I cant figure what colour wires go to what conection.if you look from the front of the car there are two conectors standing in front of each other and one to the right end ways on .Please if there is a genius with wires out there HELP.its no fun without the A/C on in this weather.
   regards david
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

Re: heater blower wiring
« Reply #1 on: Jul 29th, 2008, 8:31pm »

The front of the two transverse terminals is white and purple and normally has it's own single connector,the rear one is orange and purple and the longitudinal one is red and black,the latter two are normally in a double socket.
            GOZZ.
IP Logged
scorpio197

sdavid376
View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jul 29th, 2008, 9:36pm »

Thanks GOZZ,but another problem has come up.The old resister had the numbers 89GG18B647AB and 37067 on it ,the new one has 101866 and u7x1a on it .after fitting the new one ,blower only works on setting 3 ,but air con wont work on setting3 but it will work on setting 1 and 2 ,but no fan on 1 and 2 .All I can think of is that the resister is the wrong one .The springs underneath it are much larger than the old one and it is a struggle to fit it in the hole but the terminals are in exactly the same place.Do you think this is a ford modification or a case of the wrong part in the right box ,the numbers on the old unit match the numbers on the new box ,but the numbers on the new unit dont match the box  .anyone understanding this so far ...regards david
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jul 30th, 2008, 5:39am »

Does This page help?. I assume this is what you are talking about. Undecided
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
scorpio197

sdavid376
View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Aug 2nd, 2008, 3:30pm »

well I fitted a new resister yet again ,This time every thing works ,apart from ...... on setting two I get a burning smell ,the others are ok ... the wire that is getting hot is black and white and the wiring diagram tells me that it leads to a heater end switch ....But after looking at the scorpio workshop cd I cant locate a heater end switch ,could some body please tell me where to find it .If any one can help me sort this out and cure the burning smell in the car I will make a good donation to the club.....regards david
IP Logged
scorpio197

sdavid376
View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Aug 2nd, 2008, 7:09pm »

sorry I made a mistake the wire on the terminal that is smoking is black and blue ,and from the diagram it goes to the number two setting on the heater control .I still cant figure if this means the center unit on the dash has a short or something ,if so why does it work on number one setting and three setting with no burning smell.A friend of mine said cut the wire and see what stops working I must asume that if I did this every thing would stop because its not completing the circuit ...can anyone help PLEASE david
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 2nd, 2008, 11:33pm »

197.Looking at the wiring diagram it appears that the heater motor is powered direct from fuse 29 and gets it's ground through the resistors and fan switch.The black and blue wire supplies as you say,medium speed via one resistor.If in fact the resistor IS operated via ground,the black and blue wire,if grounded,should cause the fan to run whenever the key is switched on,very strange!If it were to pick up a live current which was not coming via the motor,ie somewhere between the motor and the switch,obviously this would create a short,but would not blow the fuse.Take your friend's advice and dicsonnect the wire,all you should loose is medium fan speed I think.
       GOZZ.
IP Logged
scorpio197

sdavid376
View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Aug 3rd, 2008, 8:24pm »

Thanks again GOZZ ,I cut the wire and sure enough all I lose is the medium fan ...Trouble is now I get the burning smell on setting 1 ....I just cant win ...anymore ideas david
IP Logged
scorpio197

sdavid376
View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Aug 3rd, 2008, 8:36pm »

Also is it possible that the fan switch may have a short some where ,I am shooting in the dark here wires are not my thing ,that the switch is drawing power through more than one resister coil on setting two for some reason ,or even a wire /connection problem on the fan motor ,any ideas would help so I know to pull the motor out fist or the dash ....or unlikely I know could the upgraded resister from ford just not work as it should on the scorpio?
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 3rd, 2008, 11:05pm »

Bit of a pain,but the switch could be'crosshobbling'the fan circuit and the aircon circuit as it is a dual purpose unit.
       GOZZ.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.