Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 24th, 2024, 1:14am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« HID conversion advice »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   HID conversion advice
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: HID conversion advice  (Read 886 times)
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

HID conversion advice
« on: Oct 15th, 2008, 3:59pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Thinking about doing an HID conversion on my Scorpio - found some kits on ebay from the far east, only £35 inc. shipping which seems quite reasonable.

I think the main and dipped beam are both H1 bulbs - so does that mean I would need 2 kits to do the 4 bulbs ?

I think the foglights are H3 bulbs - anyone done those as well ?

Thanks.
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

Re: HID conversion advice
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15th, 2008, 6:04pm »

you are correct with the bulbs

you'd only really need the dip beams, once you have cleaned the lense the light output will be much greater, ive got a 6000k temp kit on mine and havnt needed to use the mains since
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
tlundkvi

Ex. Scorpio 2.9 24V -95

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Oct 16th, 2008, 8:06pm »

But not street legal? I mean, are the scorpio headlights really rated for HID? Don't know the rules in UK, but at least in Finland the bulb type must match the headlight.
IP Logged
pinto

TD04 on a galaxy manifold ? whooooooosh !

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 16th, 2008, 9:20pm »

HID conversions are fine - and the projector type headlights of the scorp lend themselves well to it.

There are regulations on the headlights being leveling and having washers, but these dont apply to after-market conversions, only OEM - and besides, both features are either fitted already (ultimas) or can be fitted easily enough Smiley

I plan to convert mine when i have spare pennies
IP Logged
Savvy

98 Cosworth

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 17th, 2008, 9:21am »

just fitted hid's again to my cossie. had them on my 2.3 as well. i recommend the UK chap on ebay selling them for 50 plus 10 delivery. he has very good ballasts indeed which makes an awful lot of difference to the kit.
ive bought many sets before but these ones are great. ballasts are very quiet and lights are instant on pretty much, unlike cheaper kits where the ballasts take ages to start properly.

also on the legality side of things they are technically illegal even for aftermarket retro fitments. however the law on retro fitment is widely unknown and not understood by general plod or even MoT stations so goes un noticed.
i have a letter from DoT somewhere that explains the legal stance on retro fit HIDs i'll dig it out if i can!
IP Logged

VX220 2.2
Y Reg Cosworth Ultima
Scorpio_Mike

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Dec 9th, 2008, 8:17pm »

Got the name of that ebay seller ?
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
granorpio

1998 Silver Facelift Cosworth

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Dec 11th, 2008, 6:52am »

on Oct 17th, 2008, 9:21am, Savvy wrote:
i have a letter from DoT somewhere that explains the legal stance on retro fit HIDs i'll dig it out if i can!

Please do!
I too was told that it was illegal to have them without automatic self levelling and headlamp washers.  Therefore I never bothered.
IP Logged

- Mike -

So nearly said "goodbye" but now Scorpio will see another day, alongside the replacement! eek!
Scorpio_Mike

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Dec 11th, 2008, 1:27pm »

Well, I just found this and it would appear that retro-fitting HID kits is NOT legal  Shocked :

The Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 regulate the situation in the UK.
Under these Regulations, HID/Gas Discharge/Xenon headlamps are not mentioned and therefore they are not permitted according to the strict letter of the law.  

However new vehicles have HID headlamps. This is because they comply to European type approval Regulations. The UK cannot refuse to register a vehicle with a European type approval. These are to ECE Regulation 98 (for the HID headlamps which are tested on a rig in a laboratory) and ECE Regulation 48 (Lighting Installation on the vehicle).

For the after market, a used vehicle cannot obtain type approval because it is only applicable for new vehicles. However we feel that saying "HID is banned in the after market" would not be reasonable. Instead we should make analogies with new vehicles. It would be reasonable to require HID in the after market to meet the same safety standards as on new vehicles. The same level of safety should apply.

Therefore a HID headlamp unit sold in the after market should:  

1. be type approved to ECE Regulation 98 as a component.  

2. when fitted to the vehicle should enable ECE Regulation 48 to be complied with (although no government inspection will take place).

3. Comply with RVLR as far as "use" is concerned.  
In practice this means:

1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.

2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.  

3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.

Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal.

In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.

If you require any further information regarding the regulations covered by this fact sheet, please contact the DfT at the address below:

Transport Technology and Standards 6
Department for Transport
Zone 2/04
Great Minster House
76 Marsham Street Telephone: 020 7944 2078
London Fax: 020 7944 2196
SW1P 4DR Email: TTS.enquiries@dft.gsi.gov.uk

IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
granorpio

1998 Silver Facelift Cosworth

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Dec 11th, 2008, 6:34pm »

Thanks for the quick reply.

Thought as much, never mind.
IP Logged

- Mike -

So nearly said "goodbye" but now Scorpio will see another day, alongside the replacement! eek!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.