Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 24th, 2024, 2:28am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Rear Wheel Bearing....again! »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Rear Wheel Bearing....again!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Rear Wheel Bearing....again!  (Read 802 times)
mindofitsown

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Rear Wheel Bearing....again!
« on: Oct 22nd, 2008, 1:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Offside rear wheel bearing has gone again. Admitedly last time I replaced it complete with housing from a dump because I couldn't get the old races out. This time I want to do it properly. So, three questions:
Anyone know how to get the races out of the carrier?
Anyone know where to get a replacement kit?
Anyone know why these bearings fail so often?
Regards,
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

Re: Rear Wheel Bearing....again!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 22nd, 2008, 1:31pm »

The bearing caps can be knocked out using a drift and the most common cause of failure is incorrect fitting OR poor quality bearing sets .
The bearings are standard fitment the same as used on the granada the hubs are a FORD only part.
I did a write up on the main site which might be helpful HERE and also the WORKSHOP HOW TO
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 22nd, 2008, 9:49pm »

mindofitsown.
Do you mean you fitted a complete assembly from a scrapper ? if so did you not ascertain the condition before fitting ? As Snoopy says,the races can be tapped out using a drift or blunt punch,best to tap alternately at 180 degrees to obtain a level movement.Examine the hub and carrier for wear and scoring.To tap in the new outer races,grind a few thou off the old ones to allow for full seating,and use them as a dolly,you will know when they are fully home by the solid sound,give them a couple more taps fo surety.The bearing kit can be bought pattern part for about £35.00,the nut they supply is a big horrible self locker with a bigger outer size than the proper Ford nut.They work OK but necessitate two sockets for one job.I have used old Ford nuts with no trouble,but it's not best practice.Torque is 200 ft/lbs,you can't damage the bearings because they are pre spaced in the hub carrier.It's best to use a torque wrench because undertightening could be a disaster,and if you guess it with a bit of scaffold tube,you could fracture the drive stub and loose a wheel at a later stage.
    Best O luck
       GOZZ.
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 23rd, 2008, 7:52am »

In addition to the latter Use STRONG thread lock on the wafer nuts as the threads are not handed and the n/side one WILL undo even at correct torque, under some conditions. IF you fail to. I know as it happened to me the first time .
IP Logged

gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 23rd, 2008, 8:40am »

Further addendum :- If you mark the nut and thread with a spot of paint or gasket cement,you can keep an eye on any movement.
        GOZZ
IP Logged
mindofitsown

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Oct 23rd, 2008, 2:10pm »

Many thanks all.
Yes Gozz I'm ashamed to say it was a complete assembly from a scrap car though I checked the bearings as best I could at the time (wheel rocking, smoothness of turning etc). I only did this to get out of trouble quickly and it lasted about 2 years plus so not bad for a tenner.
I have since found the original bearing housing with race caps still in it ....and guess what....managed to drift them out using an old brass toilet valve body I found in the garage! (Cistern valve now unuseable needless to say). Original race caps both quite pitted with blue marks from overheating....crikey!
Now to find a bearing kit and continue. I will follow your advice re torquing, locking compound and paint marking. I too have had the same nut undo itself several times over the years (both original and replacement bearings) despite applying exactly the right torque and using different nuts. Luckily its always been at slow speeds but its very worrying to think what would happen at 70mph.
Regards.  
IP Logged
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 23rd, 2008, 3:32pm »

Always fit a new nut available from Fmd, about £4

Pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
mindofitsown

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Oct 23rd, 2008, 4:29pm »

Will do Pete many thanks. My local FMD quotes £65.40 for the kit and confirms it comes with new nut.
IP Logged
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 23rd, 2008, 5:11pm »

on Oct 23rd, 2008, 4:29pm, mindofitsown wrote:
Will do Pete many thanks. My local FMD quotes £65.40 for the kit and confirms it comes with new nut.

Sounds good I think I paid about 80ish.... Sad
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
mindofitsown

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Oct 23rd, 2008, 5:50pm »

Took it all apart this afternoon in readiness for new bearings. Oh my god, you should see the state of the hub! Its got an enormous guage in it and cracking all the way down the splined shaft, so its another £81 for a new one. Cry
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 23rd, 2008, 7:21pm »

I have a used one for £25 +postage . It was advertised on here for a while .
Bearing kits from your local motor factor will be a lot cheaper than a FMD and use the same bearings. Most likely SKF bearings and the wafer nut I have one of those brand new if required . Pictures available
IP Logged

mindofitsown

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Oct 28th, 2008, 12:43pm »

Sorry for tardy response but PC off air for a while. Many thanks Snoopy for the offer but I realised I already had a spare in the garage which I got from the dump when I got the bearing housing some 2 or 3 years ago.
Latest is that that the hub is all done now so many thanks to everyone for their advice.  
I would like to send some photos of the damaged hub as it may be of interest to some but I don't know how to attach photos......can someone educate me on this please?
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Oct 28th, 2008, 2:59pm »

OK you need to host the pictures somewhere on the internet, Photobucket or similar do a free ghosting for pictures then put the location of that picture in the message body between the [imghttp//: etc etc .com[/img] and then post the message as normal  
Please make sure the picture size is NO BIGGER than 640x480 pixels and it will appear like those that I attached .

If you use the reply button and NOT the quick reply at the bottom of the posts it gives all the icons for things and the insert picture forth from the left on the second row  
IP Logged

mindofitsown

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Oct 29th, 2008, 11:02pm »

Many thanks Snoopy, I really appreciate the advice but I think the education I'm after is even more basic than that cos that went over my head.  I can attach pictures in Outlook Express if that helps.
Regards (now I feel well behind the times!)
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.