Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 24th, 2024, 3:27am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Have I lost my Cat? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Have I lost my Cat?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Have I lost my Cat?  (Read 788 times)
mindofitsown

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Have I lost my Cat?
« on: Nov 19th, 2008, 5:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Can someone tell me the syptoms for a broken/failing cat. convertor please. I've never actually owned a car before now that actually had one thus not come across the problem before.
Its 1995 2.0l DOHC (approx 122K miles) and there is a odd rattling sound coming from under the exhaust manifold shroud. Have checked shroud and it is not loose. Rattle sound is more pronounced at idle. Some loss of power lately also.  Sad
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

Re: Have I lost my Cat?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19th, 2008, 5:34pm »

hi there

sounds like it, but check the manifold isn't cracked?

also check to see if the rubber pipes have blown off the exhaust egr pipework (goes to the transducer).

hth
IP Logged
mindofitsown

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Nov 19th, 2008, 5:45pm »

Thanks, If the manifold is cracked, I assume it would there would be a blowing noise (?) but no such noise exists, just a rattle that sounds as if something is metallic is loose inside the pipes. Rubber pipes are ok. I will take shroud off 2moro and have a closer look. Assume its ok to drive around with shroud off?
IP Logged
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Nov 19th, 2008, 7:38pm »

Not really worth taking the shroud off to be honest. Not much to see apart from a big lump of metal. It does sound like the CAT has failed though.  

The photo shows one that I cut open with a blow torch. I did this as a quick fix on my Cossie a few months ago. The gap in the middle is where the cat had broken in two. The piece you see at the bottom was blocking the pipe and causing power loss on acceleration but rattling when at idle. You can see where we cut away the shroud to get at the main body of the CAT

The bottom loose bit was broken apart and taken out and then the metal replaced and welded back up again.

It was fine after that....  

Baz

IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 19th, 2008, 7:50pm »

on Nov 19th, 2008, 5:45pm, mindofitsown wrote:
Thanks, If the manifold is cracked, I assume it would there would be a blowing noise (?) but no such noise exists, just a rattle that sounds as if something is metallic is loose inside the pipes. Rubber pipes are ok. I will take shroud off 2moro and have a closer look. Assume its ok to drive around with shroud off?

There should be a bracket around the cat, make sure its not loose or broken, same with the bracket at the bottom of the cat that bolts to the gearbox, seen these loose/broken and rattling Wink
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.