Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 11:29pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Computer and trip resetting--Cured!! »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Computer and trip resetting--Cured!!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Computer and trip resetting--Cured!!  (Read 1451 times)
bogart

August"98 2.9 Ultima auto

View Profile Email

Computer and trip resetting--Cured!!
« on: Dec 5th, 2008, 9:16am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Seems a lot of us have this problem of the computer and trip resetting on start up.I was about to buy a new battery,when I accidently found the cure--simply allow the warning lights to cycle off after switching ignition on!
hope this helps some of you guys.
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

Re: Computer and trip resetting--Cured!!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 5th, 2008, 10:53am »

I just tried that on mine and it didnt reset, there must be some other issue, such as a battery problem that makes it do that.
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

zero

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Dec 14th, 2008, 11:45pm »

Oh boy!  Please tell me it is that simple!!!

I bought my scorpio Ultma a couple of weeks ago, and i have had this problem a few times now.  the point is it hasn't done this every time I have started the car, and now you mention it, the two times I have noticed it happen (ie trip and Computer reset, and all dials flick up) they have both been cases where I have almost in one stroke put the key in, and turned it over in one foul swoop so to speak.

I'm icthing to try this reslove now in the morning as my cars battery certainly doesn't seem to have a problem, I have no labouring to start the car, and it starts as soon as the key is turned, so I will certainly be giving this a go, from now on, and see what happens.  up to now it been doing it every fouth or fifth start, so it hopefully not take to long to report if just leting the cycle complete before start has any affect.

I'll let you know, ASAP

Dave
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Dec 15th, 2008, 1:40pm »

Just remember if you’ve used the diagnostic to check the battery voltage, next time you turn on the ignition (maybe the next day when you’ve forgotten about it) the needles will flick round (reset).
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
zero

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Dec 16th, 2008, 12:31pm »

on Dec 15th, 2008, 1:40pm, Tompion wrote:
Just remember if you’ve used the diagnostic to check the battery voltage, next time you turn on the ignition (maybe the next day when you’ve forgotten about it) the needles will flick round (reset).

I've no idea even how to do that! (yet  Wink)

However I can confirm I have started the car at least four times now in the manner discussed, and I have not had the trip reset since.  

I've just been to ASda this morning to get the Christmas shopping and something strange happened (i'm still not sure if it happened or not? so I'll be interested in some comments.

I started the car at 8am this morning no problems as usual I do this now by putting in the key, waiting for all the warning indicators to go out, and then start the car, this so far has not reset the trip or bounced the needles on the MPH/RPM counters.

After two hours of shopping cars been standing for just under 3 hours, after loading and getting in I started it it nithe same manner.  and this was were the wierd bit comes in.  I turned the key and waited for all the lights to go out bar the battery which off course is on.  on turning the key, the needles bounced up to the top but just returned back.   I swear I saw a word appear in both the computer window (for sure) and maybe the trip window as well.  I'm 80% it said fault or failure or the like.  However it did not reset the trip?

Sadly it caught me totally of guard I was not ready for it, and having worked nights and the shopping trip I'm still a bit zonked out but I'm sure it said something in the window.  

Any ideas?

IP Logged
bogart

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 17th, 2008, 7:00am »

Hi Zero--yup --wierd,but I don't think the display is set up to show words.Anyway if it still not resetting,thats the main thing.BTW,you should have 3 lights left on the panel(battery,oil and handbrake).What is your engine size--mine is 2.9 cosworth,and I get 18-20 MPG driving round town economically.
Only problem I got now is trying to get MPG lnstead of  Euro KM.but I just read acure here to hold reset ans set in together,so try that when I go out.
where are you in UK?--I am in Lowestoft (Suffolk)--Have a good one.
IP Logged
Waglet

Aubergine 24V

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Dec 17th, 2008, 2:41pm »

I too am a sufferer of the reset/dial flick round phenomenon. Annoying little mongrel!! Undecided The other day it happened to me after I’d stopped for a petrol fill up. The car failed to start 1st time and when I tried to start it for a 2nd time it did start OK however the reset thing occurred. Grrrh. I will be trying this ‘tip’ and feedback any results.
IP Logged

Waglet
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 17th, 2008, 6:22pm »

What size of battery are you guys using?
IP Logged

zero

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Dec 18th, 2008, 10:08am »

on Dec 17th, 2008, 6:22pm, Highlander wrote:
What size of battery are you guys using?

Not sure as I have only just bought the car.

However I got in it last night, with a friend chatting and forgot myself, and bang turned the key without thinking again, all needles kicked up again and the trip computer reset again.  Ho hum

I've now been doing this for a week nearly with no occurance of this happening, the one time I forgot, and off it went again.

Dave
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 18th, 2008, 5:47pm »

I'd be inclined to think the battery isnt up to the correct rating or possibly failing.
IP Logged

Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Dec 18th, 2008, 10:14pm »

on Dec 18th, 2008, 5:47pm, Highlander wrote:
I'd be inclined to think the battery isnt up to the correct rating or possibly failing.

Agree JUst to make sure have a read of THIS page. These cars need a lot of power and anything less than that indicated in the article is likely to cause problems.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
mindofitsown

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Dec 20th, 2008, 8:59am »

It would seem that merely talking about one Scorpio owners current problem infects others like a virus! Now I am getting this problem  Sad but slightly different symptoms. Occasionally on start up (this last week or so) the odometer resets to zero and the average speed and average fuel consumption also reset. BUT, no flickering needles and no reset back to default km/l. Yes, it stays as mpg.  Smiley  I have applied the suggested tip of allowing the system to fully boot up before cranking and it has not happened since but I didn't need to do that before. So, I would agree there is likely to be a pending battery problem particularly since lately I've noticed the cranking speed is lower.
Is it possible that the EMS uses some hefty electrolytic capacitors on the power supply which charge up during at key position II? This may explain that if the cranking is slightly delayed, the effect of falling battery voltage during starting is less of a problem as the capacitor can provide the electronics with power for a short time. It still supports the theory that ageing/failing/inadequate battery is the underlying cause as delaying cranking should not be necessary.
IP Logged
bogart

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 20th, 2008, 11:23am »

Minofitsown Grin--that sounds like a good explanation for the  
Scorpio virus !!.Nevertheless--if it works ,don't fix it SmileyI am sure my battery is OK cos I/ve left it parked in the recently freezing weather for 4 days and it started first turn of the key.
And thanx to the guy who gave the tip about setting the comp to MPG(hold down reset and set together till it beeps),now I dont have to drive around doing mental "rithmatic Grin
IP Logged
bogart

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Dec 20th, 2008, 11:25am »

Hey Simmo--me an OAP too Grin
IP Logged
a900one

A scorpio is for life not just for christmas

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: Dec 20th, 2008, 5:22pm »

I had flicky needles as well but it went away after chargeing the battery but I will try his method as it is a pain Angry.
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Dec 20th, 2008, 5:24pm »

on Dec 20th, 2008, 5:22pm, a900one wrote:
I had flicky needles as well but it went away after chargeing the battery but I will try his method as it is a pain Angry.

Must be a problem there too then, battery should be fully charged at all times if everything is working properly
IP Logged

zero

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Dec 24th, 2008, 4:54pm »

here's an interesting observation just to throw in to the mix.

thinking about the issue further I thought why would this happen,  and if it was a power issue, why?  My car seems to start fine, everytime.

So before starting, I turned both the heating fan and the Radio off, ie no drain on the battery (I never normally turn the radio off)  complete turn over from the key, no waiting for the lights to go out, and guess what.

No Needle flick.  I've done this 3 or 4 times now, and it has not bounced the dials, my car normally does it every time, so it certainly seems to be related to power in some way.

Dave
IP Logged
zero

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Dec 24th, 2008, 11:22pm »

further update

I've started the car serveral times today, and even coming to work tonight, I've ensured the radio and the fan for the heater are in the off position, and so far I still have had no reset!

Dave
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #18 on: Dec 25th, 2008, 8:23pm »

Which points to a battery which is either failing or of insufficient rating
IP Logged

a900one

A scorpio is for life not just for christmas

View Profile Email

« Reply #19 on: Jan 2nd, 2009, 10:30am »

I know my problem is I dont drive it enough, I put petrol in about once every two/ three months the perk of having a company van Grin. It has the correct size battery in which is just over a year old, but as I may not drive it for a couple of weeks, and then only a short trip, its understandable that it plays up.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.