Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 24th, 2024, 1:20am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« MOT Failure...advice please!! »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   MOT Failure...advice please!!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: MOT Failure...advice please!!  (Read 681 times)
scorp299

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

MOT Failure...advice please!!
« on: Dec 15th, 2008, 5:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi folks.Just had my Scorpio(1995 24v Cos)MOT'ed the other day and sadly it's failed on a few things.Can someone please shed some light on repair costs etc.I received a quote for the repairs already...see down...
1)Both headlamps aims were too low.#BEEN FIXED#
2)Nearside front brake hose excessively deteriorated.
3)Offside front brake hose seriously damaged.(found during steering lock to lock check).
4)Nearside front lower suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated resulting in excessive movement.
5)Offside front lower suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated resulting in excessive movement.

The same garage gave me a quote for the repairs(inc VAT/Fitting) which were...
Brake Hose#2 £65.28
Brake Bleeding Serv £9.50
Supplies/Materials £1.99
Suspension Arm Bush #2 £190.00
Wheel Alignment £27.36

What do those prices sound like and is it worth my time going somewhere else and getting another MOT done?
Oh yes,forgot to mention that the same garage will charge me £22.95 to re-mot the car if i get the repairs done elsewhere.

Any advice would be appreciated.Thanks,Gary.
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

Re: MOT Failure...advice please!!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15th, 2008, 7:08pm »

hi there

1. brake hoses. just about ok. they're about £15 each +fitting.
2. should be included with fitting hoses.
3. ?
4. Miles too much! the bushes are about £20 each + fitting (2 hours max). at the price you've been quoted, you're better of buying 2 whole new wishbones @ about £200 the pair + fitting (again 2 hours max).

i'll bet they will want to charge VAT on top as well!! Shocked
IP Logged
pinto

TD04 on a galaxy manifold ? whooooooosh !

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 15th, 2008, 9:37pm »

Dont waste time with fitting standard rubber brake hoses either.  Have a word with the boys at rally design ( www.rallydesign.co.uk ) and get them to make you up a set of "euroquip" stainless braided brake hoses.  These will far outlast standard rubber ones and give a superior pedal feel as they dont swell like rubber ones under pressure.

Expect to pay between £30 and £50 a set - but bare in mind these will pretty much outlast the car and will be a complete set (fronts and rears).

As stated, the bushes are available separately - the price you've been quoted is more like new arms complete - be aware that FMC are on the verge of (or have) delisting scorp wishbones (info comes from an internal trade source) so supplies ARE going to dwindle quickly.

Im planning to work on a rose joint conversion for the wishbones and hope additionally to see if i can interest a polybush company in creating a PU performance bush too Smiley
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Dec 16th, 2008, 12:20am »

As scorpio_man says, don't bother getting them to fit just the front bushes....it's a difficult job (hydraulic press ?) & expensive waste of time.

You'll have it done & then before you know it, the ball joints will fail (they are just as old) & you'll have to spend the same again (& a little more) getting the whole wishbone replaced (£110 each from FMD), which incidently comes with the said bushes already fitted  Wink.....Also if the front bushes have gone, then can bet your bum that the rear bushes (if they haven't previously been replaced) are kaput as well  Roll Eyes

The rear bushes are £15 each from FMD & just slide over the back end of the wishbone, so no hydraulic press needed  Smiley

Regarding the brake pipes....I bought a pair from FMD a couple of years ago & they were £30 the pair & after fitting, only the front brakes have to be bled, as the rears are on a separate system....also, if you're interested, the fronts have their own independant system, so one can be bled without having to bleed the other  Smiley
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 16th, 2008, 12:34am »

The wishbone bush replacement seems a tad overpriced   ( not sure if you mean the front or the rear ones ).

As Johnnycab says,  the best bet is to replace  the whole wishbone + rear bush.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.