Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 10:28pm

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« How absurd is that ? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   How absurd is that ?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: How absurd is that ?  (Read 617 times)
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

How absurd is that ?
« on: Dec 18th, 2008, 4:56am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

As my Scorp is a licensed taxi, I always check all the fluid levels before I go to work, to make sure everything is fine  Wink

Monday evening, checked under the bonnet & all levels were normal, so off I go.......

........2 hours later I get this strong smell of power steering fluid coming through the vents when I'm sitting on the rank  Huh

With torch in hand I open the bonnet & have a quick look inside. The P/S reservoir has dropped by nearly an inch (well below the min mark) & the engine under tray is full of P/S fluid under the pump. The pump isn't making any strange noises, so I check the steering gaiter, but it's dry as a bone.

Early night for me then  Sad....& check it out in the morning  Roll Eyes

Tuesday morning......P/S fluid reservoir has dropped another inch & there is a pool of oil under the car, so stuck the front of the car up on ramps & removed the under-tray.

All I could see was an oil covered pressure switch, so my first thought was that it had come loose.....nope, it was still in nice & tight.....maybe the rubber O ring seal ?

So cleaned it all up with a cloth & carb spray & waited for it to start leaking again.

It only took about 10 seconds to start dripping again, but not from the seal.......It came from the multiplug  Shocked

I pulled off the multiplug & the fluid just started dripping at a regular rate from the plug connection. On closer inspection, it was actually coming out from around the electrical pins  Huh

How absurd is that ?...have you ever heard of such a thing ?...P/S fluid leaking from the electrical connector on the pressure switch  Huh

Anyway, went up the breakers to get another one (which I found) & while I was there happened to look in the back seat of a scrap Scorp & there was a 2.3 manifold sitting on it.

Curiosity took the better of me, so I fished it out & couldn't believe it. Apart from being a bit dirty, it looked almost unused, with no splits or hairline cracks inside or out  Cheesy

I grabbed it & went to the office to pay for the items......he wanted a fiver for the switch & £40 for the manifold....offered him £40 for the two & he accepted....bargain I reckon  Wink

One thing that does astound me though is, that someone had actually spent time removing this inlet manifold from a 2.3 & then just slung it in the back seat  Shocked......How absurd is that ?  Roll Eyes

....Oh well  Roll Eyes...... their loss, my gain  Grin
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

Re: How absurd is that ?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18th, 2008, 8:04am »

Strange happenings indeed Smiley

Is the manifold possibly new and never been on?

People sometimes get so sick of cars and their problems they just throw the lot away, good and bad...

The last Scorpio i bought came complete with two new batteries a new alternator and a brand new set of quality jump leads....  the owner was just glad to see the back of it
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Dec 18th, 2008, 4:28pm »

The manifold had deffinately been used 'cos the sensors & t-stat are still in it, but I don't think it had been used for very long.

Maybe your right Stuart, someone replaced the manifold, but it still didn't sort the problem, so gave up  Undecided

Still can't get my head around the fact that someone had removed it from the engine & then just slung it in the back..... Huh
IP Logged
lube-o-rific

1995 2.9 12v Ultima Saloon

fordscorpio   DMichaelPotter
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 18th, 2008, 5:44pm »

My scorp dropped all it's oil through the oil pressure switch last month. I had FMD change the switch as I couldn't get the old one off.  Shocked

I was astounded that the oil was coming out of the pin on the switch too!
IP Logged
Mottsy

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Dec 18th, 2008, 8:14pm »

can someone please either tell me where the presure switch is or show a picture. I've has a slight leak from the power stearing for a whiloe now and it might be worth my checking.

Thanks

Mottsy
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 18th, 2008, 8:50pm »

Its on the steering rack drivers side, not hard to find, it has wires going into it
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.