Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 9:31pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Red Key »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Red Key
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Red Key  (Read 1643 times)
Waglet

Aubergine 24V

View Profile

Red Key
« on: Jan 31st, 2009, 5:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Had a non-starting incident. I think it was immobiliser related. I don't have a Red Key for the vehicle can I get one?
IP Logged

Waglet
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

Re: Red Key
« Reply #1 on: Feb 1st, 2009, 8:00am »

Yes if you need one .. A
Many of the auto locksmiths carry the equipment to programme a new RED Key they can be located from HERE

From the past posts on here they charge between £50/70 still cheaper than a FMD as far as I know.  
A red key only allows you to programme new keys why do you think its imobiliser related.
Does the LED on the top of the dash flash a codeHuh . Check out THIS PAGE which might give some help.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Waglet

Aubergine 24V

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Feb 1st, 2009, 10:49pm »

Thanks Snoop. The reason I think its key/mobiliser is that after half a day and a bit desperate I tried the spare key that I was given with the car and it started! This key has a red insert. I retried the other key (this one has the light module and a red insert that has gone a bit brown in colour) and that made the car start as well. Its been OK since.
IP Logged

Waglet
Waglet

Aubergine 24V

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Feb 2nd, 2009, 7:22pm »

Car has failed to start again. Had to leave it at work. Doh. It turns over but fails to start, PATS light seems 'normal'. Had it serviced last week, all was well for 4 days then this. Any clues?
IP Logged

Waglet
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 2nd, 2009, 7:29pm »

Try checking the relays. I am sure someone will advise which one to look at first.  

IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Feb 2nd, 2009, 8:15pm »

Before you go too far try getting a jump start. IF the battery has been run down it may have enough power to TURN the engine but not sufficient to START the car. Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Waglet

Aubergine 24V

View Profile

Re: Red Key:-  Now non starter :(
« Reply #6 on: Feb 4th, 2009, 8:31am »

Tried a 'jump', no good. Weird that it failed Friday then started and was fine for 2 days now non starting again. A previous link I've read suggests a crank sensor. I guess I'll call out the breakdown peeps and get it towed to my local chap who serviced and MOT'd it last week. What aggro.
IP Logged

Waglet
ivan

Scorpio `till death

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 4th, 2009, 9:45am »

Something like that happend to my car but mine didn`t start at all the first time it happend(turns but wont start)...water liking thru dashboard all the way in to ECU...drainholes clogged...result --- ECU corroded and defected...been to few mechanics and they didn`t know whats wrong...they check fuses,wires,fuel pump,sparks, everything but they havent got a clue whats wrong.

Maybe in your case very small amount of water is gettin thru the ECU...so when ECU is dry it works...so you can check ECU also.

IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Feb 4th, 2009, 11:09am »

If it were a PATS problem then the engine wouldn't turn over, so it looks as though it could be something else  Smiley

Ivan has a point about the ECU. Have you checked the back of it for wetness caused by water leaking in under the battery tray ?

Have you checked the fuel pump relay ?, they can sometimes be a bit temperamental.....& the crankshaft sensor could also be a culprit. Also, check that the small black wire on the battery negative is on nice & tight  Wink

Good luck  Smiley
IP Logged
Waglet

Aubergine 24V

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Feb 4th, 2009, 11:50am »

Thanks everyone....loads of info for the "fixers" to work on.
IP Logged

Waglet
ivan

Scorpio `till death

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 4th, 2009, 12:39pm »

Yea I know  Shocked  Cool
IP Logged
Waglet

Aubergine 24V

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Feb 4th, 2009, 1:47pm »

Call out man suspects fuel pump. Is this likely? Any one know which relay is the "fuel pump" one?
IP Logged

Waglet
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Feb 4th, 2009, 3:09pm »

Fuel pump relay is 'R17' in the battery side fusebox. It's the big green one with half purple top  Smiley
IP Logged
Waglet

Aubergine 24V

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Feb 4th, 2009, 7:48pm »

Top Man JC. Ordered one this afternoon. Garage man said it smelt a bit burnt! Also fuse box is wet. Doh. The annoying thing is as soon as they took the car off the tow truck it started up OK. Doh again!!  They think its not the fuel pump so that'll save a few quid!
IP Logged

Waglet
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Feb 4th, 2009, 10:22pm »

If the fusebox is wet you need to resolve it PDQ. Have you got a battery cover fitted and are the 'drain holes' in the bulkhead clear?. Read THIS as it will give you a clear idea of what you can do to ensure all is well in terms of drainage. Is there any sign of water in the passenger footwell or glovebox?.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Waglet

Aubergine 24V

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Feb 4th, 2009, 11:54pm »

Yep battery cover in place, I did WD4 the area around the battery as soon as I bought the car last summer. No wet in passenger side etc. I'll get the garage to dry out the area and hope for the best. Just hope it becomes reliable again. You don't realise how much you take the car for granted until you have to use public transport. Cry Its ironic that only last week I was signing the Scorps praises and thinking how good I felt driving it.
IP Logged

Waglet
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Feb 5th, 2009, 7:49am »

Waglet. If it is the drivers side fusebox that is wet you need to make sure that the small drain holes/slots in the bulkhead are also clear. A hair dryer sometimes is enough to remove moisture but ideally keep 'em dry in the first place. Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Waglet

Aubergine 24V

View Profile

Re: Red Key:- Back from menders.
« Reply #17 on: Feb 10th, 2009, 10:26am »

Got car back yesterday. Right when tested. Doh. So I'm just waiting for it to fail again Sad They did change the fuel pump relay (green and purple one). On inspection this relay did smell a bit burnt (just like my Scalextrix cars did when they were about to give up the ghost) So fingers crossed........... Undecided
IP Logged

Waglet
Waglet

Aubergine 24V

View Profile

Re: Red Key.....Failed again
« Reply #18 on: Feb 12th, 2009, 9:30am »

Back to drawing board.....failed to start again! Any one want a 24v Purple one?
IP Logged

Waglet
Waglet

Aubergine 24V

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: Feb 17th, 2009, 8:06pm »

Gonna call the breakdown dudes again tomorrow and get the Scorp towed back to the menders as it will not start. Not sure how much of this aggro I can take. I really like Scorpios but I must have reliability.
IP Logged

Waglet
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.